Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is the film course at Leeds? Is it more on the theoretical side or practical side? How is the facilities there?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying FIlm, Photography and Media at leeds as a first year. In the first year - the course is way more weighted towards theory , you have 5 or 6 essays and 2 or 3 exams, and then make a short film, photography portfolio and write a screenplay but I've heard that it gets more balanced as time goes on. Facilities wise, there's a great photography/live TV studio with helpful staff, a basement with 5 editing pods, three editing rooms, a radio studio, a fair bit of equipment and a 50 seat cinema. I've found the course really great, except for the communications modules but you can drop those completely by the end of the first year.

Although there isn't an overwhelming amount of practical stuff on the first year of the course there are some really great societes in the union. I've not had much experience with the filmaking society, but LSTV makes tonnes of content; short films, comedy, culture and music (leeds fest), news, sport (Varsity) all of which go out on local TV and a live show each week. It's given me a tonne of extra experience and lots of opportunities. At the National Student Television awards, LSTV won a record breaking 10 awards including best overall drama. Essentially, the course is pretty balanced theory: practical, with a bit more focus on theory - but the opportunites you can get through emails sent to you and outside socities easily make up for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.