Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, what are your experiences of interviews at Cambridge? Were you accepted afterwards or rejected, if rejected, do you think it was because of your interview?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for BA English at Wolfson and the interview was what I would call an intellectual interrogation, where my views on particular theorists were questioned and dissected, and I was asked what I liked and didn't like about specific novels and why. And I got an offer following the interview :-)

What are you hoping to study? And at which college?

ReputationRep:
    I was interviewed for Computer Science. The interview was purely technical, with no "why do you want to study computer science?" type questions whatsoever (although the interviewers were perfectly friendly). I thought my first interview went quite badly, and my second one went very well. I ended up getting an offer through the pool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunnford84)
    I applied for BA English at Wolfson and the interview was what I would call an intellectual interrogation, where my views on particular theorists were questioned and dissected, and I was asked what I liked and didn't like about specific novels and why. And I got an offer following the interview :-)

What are you hoping to study? And at which college?
    I want to study law, not sure on the college yet.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Karaleigh19)
    Just curious, what are your experiences of interviews at Cambridge? Were you accepted afterwards or rejected, if rejected, do you think it was because of your interview?

Thanks!
    So the first thing to note is the interview is just one aspect of the overall application. It doesn't necessarily make or break an application.

Also applicants often think they do poorly in the interview but get an offer, and vice-versa.

See the chart below, it shows how a group of applicants surveyed by me on TSR rated their interviews in the 2015 cycle. You will notice there is pretty much zero correlation between how well or badly the interviewee thought the interview went, and getting an offer...

Name:  Cambridge Interview Score vs Outcome.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  166.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Got pooled after my law interview. Being completely honest, it was terrifying and not an experience that I enjoyed at all. My interviewers were quite patronising and gave funny looks after everything I said, every question was really ambiguous and it almost felt as though they were trying to make you feel panicked to see how you would cope.

(Original post by unilmao)
    Got pooled after my law interview. Being completely honest, it was terrifying and not an experience that I enjoyed at all. My interviewers were quite patronising and gave funny looks after everything I said, every question was really ambiguous and it almost felt as though they were trying to make you feel panicked to see how you would cope.
    Agree, my interviews weren't particularly enjoyable. I still don't think I did very well at them although I do have an offer, that's the main thing for me.

ReputationRep:
    My daughter felt like she had blown the interview. They pressed her until she couldn't answer. But she was very much herself, showed how she enjoyed her subject (archaeology), was able to transmit her knowledge and curiosity. She was pooled and got an offer. Cam has been absolutely perfect for her.

IMO, they wanted less to see how much she knew and more just whether or not they'd like to work with her. They wanted to see how she reasoned on her feet and whether she would like the tutorial system.

ReputationRep:
    When I had my interviews at Cambridge I felt quite assured about my position I enjoyed the questions and found myself able to answer them though it got to a breaking point where I was no longer able to answer at which point I was offered another interview. That interview did not go well immediately I found myself out of my depth and when that happened I was asked whether I would like to ask any questions I did and the lecturer couldn't answer them himself. I felt the first interview went really well and the second one really badly.

I applied to Cambridge only months after having been released from hospital where I was diagnosed as schizophrenic and I had no qualifications. I didn't get an offer and I don't think I would have survived the first year. I met people from cambridge while I was there and they really struggled with the workload and deadlines. One was considering dropping out because she was bottom of her class and there people at the top got priority when it came to options. The other got a third because he couldn't meet deadlines fell behind, had to repeat a year and had his grades capped.

Don't let this put you off but remember that the best minds in the country are at Oxbridge you'll find yourself in competition with potential future nobel prize winners. Yet Oxbridge is a great place to be and study. I'm still an Oxbridge wannabe and would give anything to be able to study there.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.