Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am an international student from Brazil hoping to do a masters course in the UK. I got an unconditional offer to study at UAL in the MA Character Animation course and I was just wondering if it is a good school?
    I've found several threads in this forum discussing UAL however most of them focus on LCC, with some people saying it's great and others that it's garbage. What about CSM? Is it good? Or the same as LCC?
    Going from Brazil to the UK is a huge step and I just want to make sure it's the right one.

thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Central St Martins is very good. Congratulations on getting an unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    You might hear bad things about the Foundation course there, but higher level courses, like the one you have an offer for, have a very good reputation! Central Saint Martins is supposed to be amazing, so congratulations! (:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you so much. I'm feeling much better now about this. I'd read articles and posts on CSM but given the reviews from some of the other colleges from UAL, I thought it better to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydocowsfall)
    You might hear bad things about the Foundation course there, but higher level courses, like the one you have an offer for, have a very good reputation! Central Saint Martins is supposed to be amazing, so congratulations! (:
    What bad things?? i'm going there in september...

ReputationRep:
    What bad things? :0 I'm going there in September hope i haven't made the wrong choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.kar)
    What bad things? :0 I'm going there in September hope i haven't made the wrong choice!
    Ah sorry for freaking you out! I wasn't really thinking about what I was writing at the time, so I was probably unclear - basically a few people complain about the foundation year but it's not really because of CSM, it's more about the problems with foundation courses in general (which will be the same pretty much anywhere you go, and aren't really an issue at all if you work hard!)

CSM is a really great art school, so congratulations on getting a place! I'm sure you'll love it and I'm really sorry for worrying you!

ReputationRep:
    Quite a late reply but did you do the masters? I’m looking at it now and am wondering how it is

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m doing fine art at csm so I can tell you about the general vibe and fine art but not animation unfortunately, I think csm I first found it pretentious, a lot of people think they’re the bees knees and their the next Gucci but I have grown to feel more comfortable and settle down. Still there is undoubtedly an air of intimidation and arrogance for me personally still. However there is a very good freedom of expression and you can present yourself however you want which is great. Fine art is shockingly bad and I’m probably going to drop out, there’s no structure or teaching and I barely see my tutors, my only instruction is to ‘make art’ which is great besides there’s no studio space and no help if I need it for a self motivated project. I feel like UAL ,in my own personal experience, has been made into a business more facilitating the needs of their pockets instead of the students, There is my very honest opinion. Sorry I ranted, Hope this helps.X

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to the fine art course at CSM... so in general you wouldn't recommend it? What is the ratio of Chinese students briefly? I am from China myself so not being offensive.. haha thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    I just got accepted onto the fine art course at CSM and Chelsea and Camberwell.... all my foundation tutors say i should go to Camberwell because it suits me and I do like it there but I just can’t give up my dream of going to CSM. I understand CSM is not just an art uni but SURVIVAL but surely it can’t be THAT bad. Can you not pester the tutors to look at your work, attend all workshops, lectures and events and help each other out?? Nobodys gonna help you out in the real world ... But I do understand that we are basically paying 30k not for an education but for a reputation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
University of the Arts London resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.