Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here have any experience of doing a part time masters? How many hours a week it is possible to work alongside the course? Is it possible to work full time and do it in your spare time or do you have to cut your hours down to part time?

Any experiences of doing a part-time masters would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of threads on this if you do a Google search. Try something like "tsr working while doing a masters"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassivella)
    Does anyone here have any experience of doing a part time masters? How many hours a week it is possible to work alongside the course? Is it possible to work full time and do it in your spare time or do you have to cut your hours down to part time?

Any experiences of doing a part-time masters would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    You would typically have to cut your hours to part time- part time masters still in most cases require some daytime attendance which could be a couple of hours over two different days.

ReputationRep:
    I worked full time (in a very demanding job, at that) while doing a part time Master's. I got a high distinction. It's perfectly doable, but you have to be disciplined, organised, and plan ahead.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, my job as a barman for my student's union is super flexible though, my weekly hours vary from 5-35 hours a week and typically ranges from 18-26 but it moves around quite a bit depending on how busy I am!

There was a period in October/November when I was consistently hitting 30 hrs a week (there was a work competition - most hours worked by a student wins a laptop, I won!), it started to impact on my reading, social life and general wellbeing. From my experience I wouldn't recommend consistently hitting those kind of hours, I'm managing around 20 quite well though!

For context I'm studying an MA in Ethnomusicology at Cardiff Uni, hitting distinctions so far (just about!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    I worked full time (in a very demanding job, at that) while doing a part time Master's. I got a high distinction. It's perfectly doable, but you have to be disciplined, organised, and plan ahead.
    Exactly this. Most part time masters are designed to be fitted in around full time jobs. However, expect to give up some/most of your socializing/leisure time!

A poster above mentioned possible day time classes, be wary of those unis that do this - they generally are just trying to broaden their student body by allowing students to register for normal classes part time - and may not have the proper type of support part-time students might need, either. The ones that offer evening or weekend classes for part timers will generally be properly geared for such students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.