Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi,

I've seen my a aunty a couple of times this month (I'm 26 and an Indian guy) and she's made the following comments:

1) You're 27 with no job in a playful way, I'm actually 26 turning 27 in early August, she said then save up your money to go to India to get married (why does she think I'm going to India).

2) Just 2 days ago she said when are your exams, I said May, what are you studying I said Maths and she said when are you guys going to get a job and to get a girl. Her son is the same age as me but failed all of his GCSE's and is unemployed.

3) She said are you going to start dating, she also went onto say it's going to take time, in the sense, she wants this to drag on and I get love later rather than sooner.

When I was younger, she used to say I'm a bit fat, although I was in good shape and I was very shy and she said to her sons do you see him, he's scared.

Why is she banging on about getting a girl and marriage? In fact I am dating someone she doesn't even know about. Why does she exaggerate when she says 27 no job? I'm graduating this summer and who know I might land a job straight away, I have work experience.

She's putting me down passively and I feel she's putting me down because she is jealous, she wants to be seen well and maybe she feels inferior.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a typical nosey Indian auntie.
    Ignore her, those comments aren't coming from your parents so why do you care?

Thanks man,

I also forgot to mention she badly wanted to know how much am I paying for my uni course fee's a year, I mean, why does she want to know how much am I paying? Unless she wants to put me down.

It's because she is quite popular and I'm sure she tells her sister, in laws about silly stories about me or even exaggerate things about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks man,

I also forgot to mention she badly wanted to know how much am I paying for my uni course fee's a year, I mean, why does she want to know how much am I paying? Unless she wants to put me down.

It's because she is quite popular and I'm sure she tells her sister, in laws about silly stories about me or even exaggerate things about me.
    Yeah these aunties like having things to ***** about to the rest of the community. I know you can't say 'it's none of your business' but just be like your not sure student finance deals with it. She probably wants to try and make her son(s) sound better than you.
    Don't worry, just ignore her she sounds so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I've seen my a aunty a couple of times this month (I'm 26 and an Indian guy) and she's made the following comments:

1) You're 27 with no job in a playful way, I'm actually 26 turning 27 in early August, she said then save up your money to go to India to get married (why does she think I'm going to India).

2) Just 2 days ago she said when are your exams, I said May, what are you studying I said Maths and she said when are you guys going to get a job and to get a girl. Her son is the same age as me but failed all of his GCSE's and is unemployed.

3) She said are you going to start dating, she also went onto say it's going to take time, in the sense, she wants this to drag on and I get love later rather than sooner.

When I was younger, she used to say I'm a bit fat, although I was in good shape and I was very shy and she said to her sons do you see him, he's scared.

Why is she banging on about getting a girl and marriage? In fact I am dating someone she doesn't even know about. Why does she exaggerate when she says 27 no job? I'm graduating this summer and who know I might land a job straight away, I have work experience.

She's putting me down passively and I feel she's putting me down because she is jealous, she wants to be seen well and maybe she feels inferior.
    Remember one key thing in life: If you have haters along the way, you know you're going to make it!

I'm 20 and my relatives say the same sh1t to me since I'm starting 2 years later at university & also comment on my looks since since I'm a gym fanatic.

The more traditional relatives believe in arranged marriage and are more narrow minded when it comes to grey zone matters such as marriage, life, goals etc. The latter also applies to personal goals that YOU want to achieve and reflects the mentality of those who people who believe life is just black & white.

Why is she comparing you whom I'm assuming is at university studying Maths to her own son whom has failed his GCSEs? Truth = ... She's Mirin' brah!
    http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.29575...43f4786.u3.jpg

Remind her of her place as your :heart: life is no concern for her. Though It can be suggested that her choice of words reflect her life/upbringing.

I can relate aswell but on the opposite spectrum. My aunties kept saying I was anorexic and need to eat more when in reality I was healthy and their verbal assault did trigger eating disorders later on until I started lifting :lol:

Its not about how others perceive you, its how you perceive yourself everyday in the mirror and if you're happy with who you are. Looking "good" may help in the social presence of finding a girl but the reality is it comes down to who has game to pull etc.

Of course she's going to be passing on negative bs. It's their way to reminding themselves that their life is a lot better than yours and they don't need to change when in reality its the opposite. It's all a mental game with relatives, especially with those that don't keep in contact with you and rarely see you & when they do its always gossip/negative bs behind your back from which you hear from other people.

Motto: Life is too short for negativity, live your life for yourself and chase after what you can't go a day without.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.