The Student Room Group

Caxton FX card

I'm going to the states next month and my friend recommended this prepaid card to me. Anyone ever used it? What's the catch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've used similar cards and quite frankly, I found them to be a pain. It's the whole having to keep an eye on your balance and having to top up. I ended up getting a credit card with a much higher limit I can use abroad instead.
Reply 2
I used the Caxton (and Travelex) card when I visited the US. When I got mine I went for a USD card, I'm not sure they offer it anymore but others may. If you top up in USD, or use GDP on the card for USD purchases you get decent, but not great exchange rates. Still beats using your UK card abroad as most have fees.

Like Tiger Rag said a credit card would probably be better. I know Halifax offer a card called Clarity or something which has no foreign fees and I would assume has good rates.

Currency cards don't seem to have great protection so be careful with big purchases. I was using a Travelex currency card as a backup for my trip. I bought a long distance bus ticket in the US but on the day they told me the bus was full and had no record of me! Tried to sort it with the bus company but after being told no refunds 50 times for 2 days I filed for a chargeback with Travelex who the next day told me they won't be doing anything about it!
Original post by Neptuner

Like Tiger Rag said a credit card would probably be better. I know Halifax offer a card called Clarity or something which has no foreign fees and I would assume has good rates.

I personally don't have one, (I have from Nationwide) but I have heard good things about the Halifax Clarity card.

Quick Reply

Latest