Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any predictions for the exam which arn't in the zig zag booklet?
    Thanks, this would be really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nachey)
    What examples are of presentation,
    and could the analysis be Chi squared or Mann Whitney U?
    Examples of the presentation could be pie charts located on a map showing what percentage of people are for / against fracking. Could also be a scatter graph showing the number of people that agreed that fracking should go ahead and the distance from the fracking site.
    I guess the analysis would just be coming to a conclusion about what the data tells you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cathy678)
    Can anyone please explain the different types of systematic, stratified and random sampling and which one is most appropriate to use when surveying the questionnaire?
    Random - No bias, every person has an equal opportunity of being interviewed (e.g. using a random number generator)

Systematic - Encourages the sample to be taken in a consistent manner (e.g. every tenth house)

Stratified - Need to know something about the area. Representative from each group in the area (e.g. 3 people from each age group)

You can use a combination of any of these

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    I'm so ****ed for this paper - guess that a* isn't happening -.-
    same here... i need an A overall for uni

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about the ownership of the mineral reserve that affects the price of UK fracking? I know in the US the landowner also owns the subsurface land but in the UK the Queen owns it or something, but why does this make fracking more expensive in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychemma)
    Does anyone know anything about the ownership of the mineral reserve that affects the price of UK fracking? I know in the US the landowner also owns the subsurface land but in the UK the Queen owns it or something, but why does this make fracking more expensive in the UK?
    So the USA have more potential to frack more areas as the mineral rights are above surface rights - being able to frack more places = more energy supply available = prices can be cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studymonkey24)
    Random - No bias, every person has an equal opportunity of being interviewed (e.g. using a random number generator)

Systematic - Encourages the sample to be taken in a consistent manner (e.g. every tenth house)

Stratified - Need to know something about the area. Representative from each group in the area (e.g. 3 people from each age group)

You can use a combination of any of these
    example of a good systematic is in built up places like Wexham where you can stand outside the train station and ask every nth number of people walking past it & in my rural areas every nth house dependent on the size of the population there

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth mentioning that fracking is now approved in Yorkshire even if the question is asking solely about Lancashire?

ReputationRep:
    So the USA have more potential to frack more areas as the mineral rights are above surface rights - being able to frack more places = more energy supply available = prices can be cheaper
    sorry, do you mean that to frack in the USA they need permission from the landowner whereas in the UK they need permission from the Crown???? im confused too haha

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth mentioning that fracking is now approved in Yorkshire even if the question is asking solely about Lancashire?
    I would as there is a chance that now that fracking has been approved in one place, it will start taking place in other areas of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicole12345)
    sorry, do you mean that to frack in the USA they need permission from the landowner whereas in the UK they need permission from the Crown???? im confused too haha
    Mineral rights above surface rights mean they don't even need permission from the landowner, so they can just decide one day to frack in someones backgarden and that will be allowed but in the UK we need permission

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Do you happen to know about the regulation in each country and why that makes it more expensive too?

ReputationRep:
    When assessing the usefulness of one of the items do we need to centre it around who wrote it rather than what it says?
    I feel like item 4 is the least bias/pro or anti fracking of all the items (excluding 1 and 7)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychemma)
    Thanks! Do you happen to know about the regulation in each country and why that makes it more expensive too?
    Hm not sure about the regulation in the USA :/
    There are other reasons why it'll be cheaper there though
    larger land area in USA can mean more shale gas can be produced per person: 2.4tcf per million Americans to 0.4tcf per millions Brits
    Shale in the US is at a shallower depth than those investigated in the UK so they don't need to drill as deep down
    WIll be more expensive for developers in the UK due to the £100,000 + 1% total revenue to local communities
    the UK right now only have the Bowland Basin whilst the US have many other shale gas reserves

That's all my teacher went through to answer this question

ReputationRep:
    Looking at figure p3 and p2- p2 is breakdown of consumption including electricity and p3 is the sources of electricity. Because p3 is sources and p2 consumption that means the difference is the amount lost in production right? so in 1970 for example around 64 million tonnes of oil equiv went in to producing electricity (total of p3) and only 15 million tonnes were used (size of electricity in 1970 on p2)????
    sorry if this doesnt make much sense but could someone tell me if this is right?

ReputationRep:
    Yep my teacher said to especially if we get a question on the future of fracking.

ReputationRep:
    When assessing the usefulness of one of the items do we need to centre it around who wrote it rather than what it says?
    I feel like item 4 is the least bias/pro or anti fracking of all the items (excluding 1 and 7)
    I've mainly centered mine around who wrote it but also put in a bit about whether it's bias etc as this would affect the usefulness

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused between the difference of p2 and p3 and what they show and how you interpret them??

ReputationRep:
    How are Cuadrilla reducing the effects of what they do on the fylde?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cathy678)
    I'm really confused between the difference of p2 and p3 and what they show and how you interpret them??
    Figure P2 basically shows where our power comes from as a whole, whereas figure P3 just shows where our electricity comes from. The second paragraph under P2 explains why the amount of electricity in P3 looks so much more than P2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.