Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hesterrose)
    Does anyone have the mark scheme to the second zig zag paper? My teacher gave me the first and forgot to give me the second so i can't check my answers
    its a few pages back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naz.97)
    Physical:
    1) Apart from the pennines, there are large areas of flat land and without any Special scientific interest status.
    Flat land - infrastructure can be put into place hence increasing potential for fracking to occur
    no SSSI means that the land isn't controlled and protected so this makes it an ideal location for fracking because there won't be any resrictions on land use. A telegraph article proposes that currently, only 6% of the proposed fracking sites in the UK are SSSI
    2) marine shales in the area are up to 5000m thick- suggests that there's a lot of shale gas that can be yielded & plentiful supply
    3) Lancashire is located near the coast so this makes exportation of shale gas easy, through large ships..rather than pipelines, or trucks which would have caused congestion

social:
    1) some areas in lancashire such as blackpool have high levels of poverty and have faced urban decline. Also manchester ans Liverpool are very densely populated
    so there's a high availability of workforce- ideal location for fracking because many are in need of jobs so they're less likely to object to fracking
    2) Lancashire have a traditional heavy industry including mining and power generation - people are more inclined to agree to fracking because they are already use to heavy industry and therefore, less likely to be affected by the noiss and air pollution
    Thank you very much that really helps

ReputationRep:
    hi could anyone pm me the questions from the zigzag booklet pls?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused about the units of tonnes of oil equivalent in P2 and P3??
    It says the unit is 'thousand tonnes of oil equivalent'. So for example does this mean the total energy consumption in P2 was 155,000 tonnes of oil equivalent or 155,000,000 tonnes of oil equivalent?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any information on UK and USA comparisons such as the differences in the legislation of fracking? Or the differences in the geology and the effect this has on fracking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhw98)
    hi could anyone pm me the questions from the zigzag booklet pls?
    theyre on this forum loads of times

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a good model answer for the question:
    " Evaluate the methods Cuadrilla is taking to reduce the risks of fracking the flyde" (15 marks)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is why fracking in the uk is a completely different ball game
    http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/newsdes...ween-us-and-uk

(Original post by KGNines)
    Does anyone have any information on UK and USA comparisons such as the differences in the legislation of fracking? Or the differences in the geology and the effect this has on fracking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarypops)
    its a few pages back
    No only the answers to the first paper are but my teacher gave me those ones, its the second paper he forgot to give me

ReputationRep:
    For these graphs we don't read the figures as they're presented right? So we have to calculate the differences. So for example, for renewables (figure P4), would it be 29000-25000 which is 5000?????!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KGNines)
    usa: they have mineral rights on the surface, they have the licence to drill under houses, the shale gas is much shallower, allowed to get on with it. has to be sold to the USA only so the price is low also because there is so much of it

uk: much more heavily faulted, they have to pay 100000 + 1% of revenue to locals, we have a deeper rock, many more assessments and regulations to comply with, eg we have to disclose all the chemicals that we use in the process. more assessment and checks made, governmental and court hearings.

ReputationRep:
    No only the answers to the first paper are but my teacher gave me those ones, its the second paper he forgot to give me
    the second papers there too xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naz.97)
    For these graphs we don't read the figures as they're presented right? So we have to calculate the differences. So for example, for renewables (figure P4), would it be 29000-25000 which is 5000?????!!
    yes its a compound graph

ReputationRep:
    the second papers there too xx
    where? I just went through the entire thread again but i couldn't see the answers to the second paper?

ReputationRep:
    where? I just went through the entire thread again but i couldn't see the answers to the second paper?
    1. Comment on the projected future sources of electricity shown in Figure 4. (7 marks)
    2. Discuss the need for fracking in the UK. (8 marks)
    3. Identify why fracking in the USA is much cheaper than it is in the UK. (8 marks)
    4. To what extent do the advantages of fracking outweigh the disadvantages? (15 marks)
    5. Evaluate the methods that Cuadrilla is undertaking to reduce the risks of fracking in the Flyde.(12 marks)
    6. Identify an appropriate hypothesis to test residents opinions about fracking as described in Item 7 and explain how a questionnaire could help you gather data to prove/disprove the hypothesis. (5 marks)
    7. Explain how an A Level Geography group might select people to answer questions about their opinions on the proposed fracking site. (5 marks)

ReputationRep:
    1. Comment on the projected future sources of electricity shown in Figure 4. (7 marks)
    2. Discuss the need for fracking in the UK. (8 marks)
    3. Identify why fracking in the USA is much cheaper than it is in the UK. (8 marks)
    4. To what extent do the advantages of fracking outweigh the disadvantages? (15 marks)
    5. Evaluate the methods that Cuadrilla is undertaking to reduce the risks of fracking in the Flyde.(12 marks)
    6. Identify an appropriate hypothesis to test residents opinions about fracking as described in Item 7 and explain how a questionnaire could help you gather data to prove/disprove the hypothesis. (5 marks)
    7. Explain how an A Level Geography group might select people to answer questions about their opinions on the proposed fracking site. (5 marks)

Thank you! but its the mark scheme I need

ReputationRep:
    why do high prices for gas make it economically favourable to undertake fracking?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! but its the mark scheme I need
    omg im so blonde one sec let me write them up

ReputationRep:
    omg im so blonde one sec let me write them up
    ahaha thanks

ReputationRep:
    how has everyone prepped for the fieldwork? can anyone give me any help etc because i have no clue...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.