The Student Room Group

What university is best to study Fine Art at ? Help

I have offers from Chelsea, Bournemouth and Loughborough. I am still waiting on a reply from Central Saint Martins and I have an interview with Goldsmiths next week.

I have no Idea where to study and I picked all of those with the idea that I wouldn't mind going to any one of them. However if I receive an offer from them all I have no idea where I would want to go

Loughborough :
Pros : high ranking (however for a creative subject I don't think that matters)
Decent space for 1st years and fantastic space for 2nd and 3rd year
All the materials I would want to use are available
Great feedback on teacher student contact
Cons: Small town (I'm a city girl, however it might be good for me)
2 hrs + away from London (I like visiting galleries alot)
Not much in the town

Bournemouth:
Pros: great feed back with teacher student contact
Beautiful town, clearer atmosphere
Materials can be compromised, so alot of materials are available
Cons: Space is not as big as I thought it would be for the location of the university
1-2 hrs away from London (gallery issue)

Chelsea
Pros: great sense of community
Good contact time
Very fine art based
In London (near galleries) the hub
Known for its fine artists
All ual facilities available
Cons: not so much materials (no dark room ect)
Will have to live at home (expensive)

Central Saint Martins
Pros:great reputation (more for fashion, I only know of lucien freud)
Alright materials
Alright space for 1st year (I've heard. Have not seen it since it is not in the new building) good space for 2-3rd year.
In London (galleries )
All Ual facilities available
Cons: daunting atmosphere, cold (main building, was told the 1st year building feels more broken into + no fashion students)
Will live at home (expensive)
Little contact time (180 students a year- I might be wrong)

Goldsmiths - yet to go and see it, however
Pros: it is a train away from home
Known for artists
Theory based (I like that)
Con: again in London so will have to stay at home

If you've been to goldsmiths could you inform me of the space ect If I get a reply before my interview , or I will update on my experience.

I have no idea what to pick, I might seem a little bit petty in terms of not wanting to travel to London on a train for two hours (I blame that on being less the 30 minutes away right now)

Also what universities do people rate the most out of these five for fine art as picking one that is more accredited will help my decision. As I'm doing art I might as well go to the best one (I do know that a huge percentage is the work you put in , in terms of the work you produce and how much you get yourself out there)

SOMEONE HELP !

Thank you

Emma
From my experience a lot of it is about where is right for you - see if you can find out what kind of ethos the course has, where you would fit in etc. In terms of reputation, what I've heard about the teaching standards etc. I'd probably say Goldsmiths, Chelsea, CSM, Loughborough then Bournemouth would be my order, but you could hate the way that the London colleges teach so you might work better in one of the other two.
Original post by eHAWA
I have offers from Chelsea, Bournemouth and Loughborough. I am still waiting on a reply from Central Saint Martins and I have an interview with Goldsmiths next week.

I have no Idea where to study and I picked all of those with the idea that I wouldn't mind going to any one of them. However if I receive an offer from them all I have no idea where I would want to go

Loughborough :
Pros : high ranking (however for a creative subject I don't think that matters)
Decent space for 1st years and fantastic space for 2nd and 3rd year
All the materials I would want to use are available
Great feedback on teacher student contact
Cons: Small town (I'm a city girl, however it might be good for me)
2 hrs + away from London (I like visiting galleries alot)
Not much in the town

Bournemouth:
Pros: great feed back with teacher student contact
Beautiful town, clearer atmosphere
Materials can be compromised, so alot of materials are available
Cons: Space is not as big as I thought it would be for the location of the university
1-2 hrs away from London (gallery issue)

Chelsea
Pros: great sense of community
Good contact time
Very fine art based
In London (near galleries) the hub
Known for its fine artists
All ual facilities available
Cons: not so much materials (no dark room ect)
Will have to live at home (expensive)

Central Saint Martins
Pros:great reputation (more for fashion, I only know of lucien freud)
Alright materials
Alright space for 1st year (I've heard. Have not seen it since it is not in the new building) good space for 2-3rd year.
In London (galleries )
All Ual facilities available
Cons: daunting atmosphere, cold (main building, was told the 1st year building feels more broken into + no fashion students)
Will live at home (expensive)
Little contact time (180 students a year- I might be wrong)

Goldsmiths - yet to go and see it, however
Pros: it is a train away from home
Known for artists
Theory based (I like that)
Con: again in London so will have to stay at home

If you've been to goldsmiths could you inform me of the space ect If I get a reply before my interview , or I will update on my experience.

I have no idea what to pick, I might seem a little bit petty in terms of not wanting to travel to London on a train for two hours (I blame that on being less the 30 minutes away right now)

Also what universities do people rate the most out of these five for fine art as picking one that is more accredited will help my decision. As I'm doing art I might as well go to the best one (I do know that a huge percentage is the work you put in , in terms of the work you produce and how much you get yourself out there)

SOMEONE HELP !

Thank you

Emma

Hi Emma

Well done on your Loughborough offer :biggrin:

Any specific questions about studying and living here just ask.

Amy
Reply 3
Original post by Artstudentstress
From my experience a lot of it is about where is right for you - see if you can find out what kind of ethos the course has, where you would fit in etc. In terms of reputation, what I've heard about the teaching standards etc. I'd probably say Goldsmiths, Chelsea, CSM, Loughborough then Bournemouth would be my order, but you could hate the way that the London colleges teach so you might work better in one of the other two.

I saw everyones responses yesterday night, i reposted this post because i didn't get a response last week. My interview was today and I have no idea how it went, I cant say it was good or bad. The people at Goldsmiths were the nicest people ever, I could talk to students after the interview without them sounding annoyed so i had a good mini experience there. I was also able to find a student who showed me her studio on the top floor of the tallest main building since i havent attended an open day.

Still i have no idea what is right for me, im trying to figure out what felt right but i have a similar feel for many of them.
Thanks for telling me the order you would consider them in and i don't really mind the style of teaching even if it is strict lol, i feel like it would push me further
Im going to look into the courses more and give it some deep thought, thankyou !
Reply 4
To another response I saw yesterday but must have been deleted :frown: I had a much better experience at Chelsea then Csm but i feel that was due to the amount of people they had to interview at the time.

That was a bold move you made at the interview looool! . I should have visited the building first years at csm would be in just to get a feel of it because the main bulding felt odd, it was full of fashion students. I can't really remember what you said but i guess your right in terms of not wanting to have alot of artists around since it is off-putting however i like having discussions about work or even interests like movies , beliefs ect but thats just me. I wanted to get the Goldsmiths interview finished before i replied but thanks ! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Emma

Well done on your Loughborough offer :biggrin:

Any specific questions about studying and living here just ask.

Amy

Thankyou ! I will make sure to if i have any !!

Quick Reply

Latest