Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Official Chemistry Paper1:Core Inorganic and Physical Chemistry - 27th of May watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    Really!! I thought I messed it up? Who did??

Sorry for not being clear - on the exam paper, I'm pretty sure? I know they wrote it as "ClF3" but I also think, somewhere in the paragraph, they did write "Chlorine triflouride". I remember thinking about it by name, and I'm not great at chemistry, so I'd only have done that if I'd read the name somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Really!! I thought I messed it up? Who did??
    Also, like someone else said, it was the inorganic paper - so it's unlikely to be a molecule with carbon in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveire&song)
    Sorry for not being clear - on the exam paper, I'm pretty sure? I know they wrote it as "ClF3" but I also think, somewhere in the paragraph, they did write "Chlorine triflouride". I remember thinking about it by name, and I'm not great at chemistry, so I'd only have done that if I'd read the name somewhere
    Okay i hope so, i assummed too as this compound is commmon and we have talked about it in class before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sc67)
    Has anyone made or started making an unofficial mark scheme for this paper ?
    Remembering the questions would be the hard bit, we could try and make a list?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Remembering the questions would be the hard bit, we could try and make a list?
    Question 1 as I remember but I could be wrong!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1) a) Chlorine is a gas and Iodine is a solid at room temperature. [1]
    b) Astatine would be a solid due to it having stronger London forces than chlorine (or you could have referred to the trend down the group) [1]
    c) Reaction of chlorine with cold aqueous sodium hydroxide.
    Cl_{2} + 2NaOH \rightarrow NaCl + NaClO + H_{2}O [1]
    This is a disproportionation reaction. [1]
    d) In the reaction of hydrogen bromide gas with ammonia white smoke would be observed. [1]
    e) - Electronegativity is the tendency of an atom to attract electron towards itself. [1]
    - In chlorine trifluoride, fluorine is more electronegative than chlorine [1]
    - Therefore the electrons are more attacted to fluorine resulting in a polar bond (refer to dipole) [1]
    f) Was a tickbox here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    b) Astatine would be a solid due to it having stronger London forces than chlorine (or you could have referred to the trend down the group) [1]
    d) In the reaction of hydrogen bromide gas with ammonia white smoke would be observed. [1]
    e) - Electronegativity is the tendency of an atom to attract electron towards itself. [1]
    - Therefore the electrons are more attacted to fluorine resulting in a polar bond (refer to dipole) [1]
    f) Was a tickbox here?
    yep I agree with all of this, the next one was the dodgy experiment one with the maths and the volume of hydrogen?

ReputationRep:
    For the magnesium reaction one.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Equation Mg + 2HCl \rightarrow MgCl_{2} + H_{2}
    a) 0.04g of magnesium of RAM 24.3gmol-1 reacted. So for moles of magnesium:
    \frac{0.04}{24.3} = 1.646\times 10^{-3} moles
    b) Therefore for moles of hydrogen 1.646\times 10^{-3} moles
    c) Gas measured at 24 centigrade (297 kelvin), 101,000 Pa.
    PV=nRT
    V=\frac{nRT}{P}
    V=\frac{1.646\times 10^{-3}\times 8.31\times 297}{101000} = 4.022\times 10^{-5} m^{3}
    =40.22 cm^{3}
    d) Can't remember 6 marker.

ReputationRep:
    For the magnesium reaction one.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Equation Mg + 2HCl \rightarrow MgCl_{2} + H_{2}
    a) 0.04g of magnesium of RAM 24.3gmol-1 reacted. So for moles of magnesium:
    \frac{0.04}{24.3} = 1.646\times 10^{-3} moles
    b) Therefore for moles of hydrogen 1.646\times 10^{-3} moles
    c) Gas measured at 24 centigrade (297 kelvin), 101,000 Pa.
    PV=nRT
    V=\frac{nRT}{P}
    V=\frac{1.646\times 10^{-3}\times 8.31\times 297}{101000} = 4.022\times 10^{-5} m^{3}
    =40.22 cm^{3}
    d) Can't remember 6 marker.
    I can't remember getting that for the moles of H2, but I got 40.22 for the volume and so must be correct! I rounded my answer for the moles but kept the un rounded answer for my volume calculation, lucky I did that! Otherwise I would have got 40.3! I think the next question was bout the relative mass?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    f) Was a tickbox here?
    Yes I would agree. We can probably miss out some of the easily forgettable 1 markers, as most people probably get them correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    It was still stupid of them though, but I also did it as chlorine trifluoride. Wasn't the question asking about the bond polarities? What did you put? I said that the bonds would be polar due to electronegativity difference, and that Cl would be delta positive as it is less electronegative. I also quoted the Pauling values from the data book.
    That's all I did too. It said bonds, not the overall molecule

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember getting that for the moles of H2, but I got 40.22 for the volume and so must be correct! I rounded my answer for the moles but kept the un rounded answer for my volume calculation, lucky I did that! Otherwise I would have got 40.3! I think the next question was bout the relative mass?
    For the relative atomic mass question. There was 5.000g of lithium of which 0.460g was Lithium-6 and the rest is Lithium-7.
    Molar mass of Li-6: 6.015
    Molar mass of Li-7: 7.016
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Let A be moles of Li-6:
    A=\frac{0.460}{6.015}=0.076475..  . [1]

Let B be moles of Li-6:
    B=\frac{4.540}{7.016}=0.64709... [1]

Therefore RAM of Lithium is
    RAM=\frac{5}{A+B}=6.9012gmol-1 [1]

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the acid used in the titration? I will post a solution to the titration once I know the acids and the concentrations.

ReputationRep:
    For the relative atomic mass question. There was 5.000g of lithium of which 0.460g was Lithium-6 and the rest is Lithium-7.
    Molar mass of Li-6: 6.015
    Molar mass of Li-7: 7.016
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Let A be moles of Li-6:
    A=\frac{0.460}{6.015}=0.076475..  .

Let B be moles of Li-6:
    B=\frac{4.540}{7.016}=0.64709...

Therefore RAM of Lithium is
    RAM=\frac{5}{A+B}=6.9012gmol-1
    well i didnt do that methid but i think i got that answer or something like that, defo was 6.9 something!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the acid used in the titration? I will post a solution to the titration once I know the acids and the concentrations.
    It was nitric acid. Mean titre was 19.95 cm3. NaOH was in burette of conc 0.08moldm-3? 25cm3 aliquots from larger 250 cm3, make up from 10cm3 pure. Thats all I remember

ReputationRep:
    well i didnt do that methid but i think i got that answer or something like that, defo was 6.9 something!
    Perhaps this way? But I am not sure if this is correct as it gives a different answer.
    \frac{0.460\times 6.015 + 4.540\times 7.016}{5}=6.923

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolomonP)
    It was nitric acid. Mean titre was 19.95 cm3. NaOH was in burette of conc 0.08moldm-3? 25cm3 aliquots from larger 250 cm3, make up from 10cm3 pure. Thats all I remember
    Cheers, sounds about right! You are correct just checked.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this way? But I am not sure if this is correct as it gives a different answer.
    it was 6.9 something. don't fuss over a few decimal places.

ReputationRep:
    For titration:

Average titre of 19.95cm^3 of 0.08 moldm^3 NaOH, so 0.08 x 0.01995 = 0.001596mol of acid in 25cm^3.

Therefore 0.01956 mol of acid in 250cm^3. This is the diluted bit of acid. They added 10cm^3 of pure acid, so concentration is 0.01956/0.01 = 1.596 moldm^3.

Multiply this by the molar mass of nitric acid (63) to get 100.548 gdm^3.

Therefore the acid is suitable.

ReputationRep:
    My solution to the titration with help of SolomonP. The question was that 10.00cm^3 of nitric acid was made into 250cm^3 using distilled water. It was then titrated using 0.08moldm^-3 NaOH in 25cm^3 aliquots.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Equation:
    HNO_{3} + NaOH \rightarrow NaNO_{3} + H_{2}O

a) Mean titre: 19.95cm^{3}

b) Moles of NaOH:
    0.08 \times 19.95 \times 10^{-3} = 1.596 \times 10^{-3}

Moles of HNO3 in 25cm^3 aliquot:
    1.596 \times 10^{-3}

Moles of HNO3 in 250cm^3:
    1.596 \times 10^{-3} \times 10 = 1.596 \times 10^{-2}

Molar mass of HNO3 is 63gmol^-1. So mass of HNO3 is
    1.596 \times 10^{-2} \times 63 = 1.00548

Mass per dm-3 of HNO3 in sample:
    \frac{1.00548}{10 \times 10{-3}}=100.548gdm^{-3}

Therefore HNO3 in sample is suitable for aging wood as it needed to be 100gdm-3 and the value above is very close to it.

ReputationRep:
    yep i did it this way so did everyone else i know

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.