Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Official Chemistry Paper1:Core Inorganic and Physical Chemistry - 27th of May Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    I got 6.9 something too. You wouldn't lose marks for not putting units, but you would lose some perhaps for too many decimal places (they were only given to 3, not 4) clairebear101
    I cant believe i got this question wrong, i multiplied the correct numbers but then divided it by 100 which gave me 0.3 something off ffs, can i ask how you worked it out?

ReputationRep:
    For the last question (on the properties of metals) could you mention their high boiling and melting points? (with the reason being due to their giant lattice structure and strong electrostatic forces of attraction). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmitz.)
    For the last question (on the properties of metals) could you mention their high boiling and melting points? (with the reason being due to their giant lattice structure and strong electrostatic forces of attraction). Thanks
    I said high melting and boiling points too due to their strong metallic bonding and giant lattice structure so hopefully it is correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmitz.)
    I wrote about that, so yes, but I also mentioned the fact that metals can be bent into shape due to their regular arrangement so the metal atoms can slide over eachother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FJCX)
    I cant believe i got this question wrong, i multiplied the correct numbers but then divided it by 100 which gave me 0.3 something off ffs, can i ask how you worked it out?
    For that question, you were given the total mass of the two isotopes of Lithium, Li-6 and Li-7.
    You were also told that Li-6 weighed something like 0.406 grams out of the 5. Therefore the mass of Lithium-7 is the remainder, so 5- 0.406 gives you about 4.594g.

Now, work it out as usual:

(0.406x6) + (4.594x7) / 5 .... Note that the values I've given are not exact to the question because I forgot what the actual values were, but it gives you 6.9. I mean, you could also check with the periodic table because Lithium has a relative atomic mass of 6.9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florent venhari)
    I wrote about that, so yes, but I also mentioned the fact that metals can be bent into shape due to their regular arrangement so the metal atoms can slide over eachother.
    me too, also ability to conduct electricity

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to make a Paper 2 thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FJCX)
    You needed the relative abundances first i.e. the percentages of each isotope and then multiply by RAM and finally then you could do the divide by the 100

ReputationRep:
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    Roughly how close to 80/80 am I going to need to achieve in the organic paper to reach an A overall if I got roughly 54 on this. I'm extremely annoyed with number of silly mistakes I made

ReputationRep:
    I made one right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozil5)
    Roughly how close to 80/80 am I going to need to achieve in the organic paper to reach an A overall if I got roughly 54 on this. I'm extremely annoyed with number of silly mistakes I made
    I think it will be around 60 for an A on this paper. So 54 would be around 105/150 UMS. To get an A overall you would need 135 more UMS which would be about 67/80 on the next paper.
    These are just some ideas. I have no clue of grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    I think the exact values were 0.460g of Li-6 of isotopic mass 6.015 and 4.540g of Li-7 of isotopic mass 7.016.
    For that question, you were given the total mass of the two isotopes of Lithium, Li-6 and Li-7.
    You were also told that Li-6 weighed something like 0.406 grams out of the 5. Therefore the mass of Lithium-7 is the remainder, so 5- 0.406 gives you about 4.594g.

Now, work it out as usual:

(0.406x6) + (4.594x7) / 5 .... Note that the values I've given are not exact to the question because I forgot what the actual values were, but it gives you 6.9. I mean, you could also check with the periodic table because Lithium has a relative atomic mass of 6.9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FJCX)
    I worked it out as follows but I could be wrong!

0.460g of Li-6 of isotopic mass 6.015.
    Let A = (0.460)/(6.015) = 92/1203 moles

4.540g of Li-7 of isotopic mass 7.016.
    Let B = (4.540)/(7.016) = 1135/1754 moles

Then I performed the following calculation.
    RAM = 5/(A+B) = 6.9102gmol-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozil5)
    If you assume it's 80% raw marks for an A (approximately what it was for the old spec), you'd need to get 128 marks total across both papers for an A, so you'd need 74 in the organic paper.

But, bear in mind it doesn't work exactly like that! The A boundary might be lower, it might be higher. It's hard to tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)
    I worked it out as follows but I could be wrong!

0.460g of Li-6 of isotopic mass 6.015.
    Let A = (0.460)/(6.015) = 92/1203 moles

4.540g of Li-7 of isotopic mass 7.016.
    Let B = (4.540)/(7.016) = 1135/1754 moles

Then I performed the following calculation.
    RAM = 5/(A+B) = 6.9102gmol-1
    Thank you 😊 I'm so annoyed about that question

ReputationRep:
    That's what I meant, did it to the same as the ones in the table

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention lattice structure! But wrote all about the bonding and electrical conductivity and high melting pint, this okay?

ReputationRep:
    Are there 150 UMS for each paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolomonP)
    Are there 150 UMS for each paper?
    An AS level is out of 300 UMS so 150 for each paper. Some subjects are slightly different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.