Turn on thread page Beta

Sperm bank gives a black donor sperm instead of a white one watch

ReputationRep:
    Seems silly.

(Original post by curiousduck)
    Don't you think this will effect the child when they grow up?? Like my parents sued the sperm bank because they wanted me to be white??
    *affect

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered what ATMs look like at sperm banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    mine were not expecting a bear :hmmmm2:
    How did a sperm bank even wind up with bear sperm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    How did a sperm bank even wind up with bear sperm?
    ermmm :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    Sue.

(Original post by sadly)
    lol immediately I think racism! secondly if they're happy with the outcome why complain? clearly in it for the $$$$
    Not necessarily racism. They could have decided on those specifications because they most closely resembled what the couple looked like.

I don't think they're doing anything wrong in suing the sperm bank, but I think it's daft. While they're not going to hate the child they've had, it is going to have been a shock and a disappointment when they found out it wasn't what they "ordered."

But then you get throwbacks, so I'd think about it that way. My gran had been a nurse in a fairly large hospital from the end of the war 'til the end of the fifties (I think), and she once told me about a time when she helped deliver a baby to a white couple, which turned out to be black. The father assumed the mother had cheated and left, but it turned out she hadn't -but that she'd had black ancestors, and the child was a throwback.

I know that's not the same, but I like the story anyway

ReputationRep:
    I mean they're suing the sperm bank because they gave them an incorrect product but ultimately they're satisfied with the results of the product. I would imagine you could only sue if you were unhappy. It might make the girl feel a bit ... when she grows up and finds out they sued them because she wouldn't exist if they hadn't made that 'mistake'.

I think there should be an investigation into why it happened, but suing seems to be just a money thing and it's a bit of a moral dilemma given that obviously children can't really be seen as products and they're obviously not dissatisfied with their daughter.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if it was a heterosexual couple who the mix up happened to. There would be lots of people questioning if the lady was faithful, if the man was with her when she got pregnant and everyone would know he was not the father of the child. The idea of sperm donation is to be discreet so a woman can have a child and her partner still reasonable be the father in looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I mean they're suing the sperm bank because they gave them an incorrect product but ultimately they're satisfied with the results of the product. I would imagine you could only sue if you were unhappy. It might make the girl feel a bit ... when she grows up and finds out they sued them because she wouldn't exist if they hadn't made that 'mistake'.

I think there should be an investigation into why it happened, but suing seems to be just a money thing and it's a bit of a moral dilemma given that obviously children can't really be seen as products and they're obviously not dissatisfied with their daughter.
    So if you and your lifelong partner wanted a child but you (assuming you're a man) were infertile, you would have to choose a sperm bank. If that sperm bank fertilised your partner with a sperm from someone of a different race, you would clearly not be the baby's father to all who see you. Your partner would be judges as a cheater or judged as someone who got knocked up and you came into the picture after. It would be humiliating for you. It is perfectly fine to sue a company for selling you the wrong thing. You are happy with the child though you're less happy that if the child was similar to your racial background.

ReputationRep:
    - free cash
    -sperm bank didn't provide what they said they would provide

Suing sounds legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunni money)
    i can understand why they'd be pissed. if it was a black couple and they requested a black sperm donor and were given a white donor they would have equal grounds to be pissed.

but, now that it's happened and they love the child i dont think they should sue. it was always going to be someone else's sperm, it's just that one trait of that other person is different to what they expected :dontknow:
    Of course they said that they love the child, they're hardly going to go on national news and say that they abhor her are they?

ReputationRep:
    This story is so old.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dismissed.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiousduck)
    Don't you think this will effect the child when they grow up?? Like my parents sued the sperm bank because they wanted me to be white??
    I dont see how the child would know about this unless her parents told her and even then its clear why they sued and it isnt for racist reasons it seems, so it isnt a big deal. Why not get some money off this sperm bank and put it into her trust fund Anybody with half brain would jump on this opportunity. And they did make a mistake so its only logical that they would be sued and rightly so. They acted carelessly.

Plus imagine if this was some racist neo nazi couple!! Sperm banks ksreally should be careful with making sure the sperm is the one they claim it is, not just for customer satisfaction but because who knows what sort of racist people the customers are. There WAS an actul case of a little girl being born to a neo nazis a few years ago and I think they are still raising her but they still hate black people. Yes, this has actually happened.

ReputationRep:
    Why would the girl know about this, do you know about all of your parents legal issues they went throuh when you were a toddler? This is hardly a groundbreaking thing, it doesnt affect the girl in any wy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    Why would the girl know about this, do you know about all of your parents legal issues they went throuh when you were a toddler? This is hardly a groundbreaking thing, it doesnt affect the girl in any wy.
    I didn't grow up in the Internet age where everything is documented and saved on a public platform (unless you count newspaper archives, which are hardly the same). This news story has been on an incredible number of sites and there's a picture of the family involved. There's every chance she (or a friend) will come across the story in the future.

ReputationRep:
    It's right to sue.

The issue is not that there is anything wrong with their child or because an African-American or mixed child is not as good as a White child, the issue is that they made a specific request, a request the sperm bank agreed to fulfill, which was not fulfilled by the sperm bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    So if you and your lifelong partner wanted a child but you (assuming you're a man) were infertile, you would have to choose a sperm bank. If that sperm bank fertilised your partner with a sperm from someone of a different race, you would clearly not be the baby's father to all who see you. Your partner would be judges as a cheater or judged as someone who got knocked up and you came into the picture after. It would be humiliating for you. It is perfectly fine to sue a company for selling you the wrong thing. You are happy with the child though you're less happy that if the child was similar to your racial background.
    I'm a woman but I'm willing to imagine myself as a heterosexual man in order to imagine how I would feel in this scenario.

I honestly wouldn't care what other people thought. I think we live in an age now where people adopt children or have children through fertility treatments and if people are judging me/my partner for what the assume we've done I wouldn't give them the time of day.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't grow up in the Internet age where everything is documented and saved on a public platform (unless you count newspaper archives, which are hardly the same). This news story has been on an incredible number of sites and there's a picture of the family involved. There's every chance she (or a friend) will come across the story in the future.
    Presumably she would be at least 10 years old when she starts using the internet so by that time this will be just another news story from years ago just like millions of others that is no longer brought up anywhere. The chances of her coming across it are miniscule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    Presumably she would be at least 10 years old when she starts using the internet so by that time this will be just another news story from years ago just like millions of others that is no longer brought up anywhere. The chances of her coming across it are miniscule.
    Unless she Googles her name or the names of her mothers, or if the case ends up being a case that sets a precedent in terms of reproductive rights and so is more widespread (referenced in future cases that end up in the news, or in law textbooks). You can't assume anything on the Internet will become invisible, no matter how many years might pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    Imagine if it was a heterosexual couple who the mix up happened to. There would be lots of people questioning if the lady was faithful, if the man was with her when she got pregnant and everyone would know he was not the father of the child. The idea of sperm donation is to be discreet so a woman can have a child and her partner still reasonable be the father in looks.
    I totally agree with you here and I understand why the woman is sueing. Going through artificial insemination is a long process in itself so for the hospital to get it wrong is reasonable to make a claim.

It's like me buying a Panasonic TV. But after waiting the time for delivery I find out I've gotten sent a Sony with the same specs. I'm happy with what I'm getting and I haven't lost out in anyway way. I still paid for and expected a Panasonic.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.