Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

God knows what I'm doing! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For some strange reason, I've always found many subjects interesting, but have managed to define my interests in Maths and Art&Design. I always thought I'd do Design at Uni, but feel that I'm wasting Maths...Then I thought I'd do Architecture as it combines the two subjects...and decided that maybe I don't really have a real interest in buildings! I'm stuck...I don't really know what I want to do...although teacher suggested I could end up doing two degrees (one after the other, which is MAD!!!). I went to a Uni open day, and thought the Maths sounded interesting, but the jobs relating to it seem so boring (e.g finance, accounting...etc)
    Has anyone been in a similar situation, and managed to decide on something...or any advice on at all?

Actually I'd be interested to hear about the UNI courses of current Mathematic students, Architecture students...and even Art students if there are any.

(Original post by sweetymango)
    For some strange reason, I've always found many subjects interesting, but have managed to define my interests in Maths and Art&Design. I always thought I'd do Design at Uni, but feel that I'm wasting Maths...Then I thought I'd do Architecture as it combines the two subjects...and decided that maybe I don't really have a real interest in buildings! I'm stuck...I don't really know what I want to do...although teacher suggested I could end up doing two degrees (one after the other, which is MAD!!!). I went to a Uni open day, and thought the Maths sounded interesting, but the jobs relating to it seem so boring (e.g finance, accounting...etc)
    Has anyone been in a similar situation, and managed to decide on something...or any advice on at all?

Actually I'd be interested to hear about the UNI courses of current Mathematic students, Architecture students...and even Art students if there are any.
    Is there no way of combining the maths and design?!? I know that I had to pick between Electronic Engineering and Comp Sci until I realised that I could do a combined course involving both.

Failing that you could try and pick a course that involves both of your passions. Something like Civil Engineering would involve a lot of maths and I hear some of them can be quite creative also.

ReputationRep:
    Are you interested in Computer Graphics and Digital Art?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Is there no way of combining the maths and design?!? I know that I had to pick between Electronic Engineering and Comp Sci until I realised that I could do a combined course involving both.

Failing that you could try and pick a course that involves both of your passions. Something like Civil Engineering would involve a lot of maths and I hear some of them can be quite creative also.
    I think I've always perceived engineering as really technical rather than 'arty', cos art teacher keeps on trying to make me think of engineering and then mentioning 'bridges' and I think....no!
    I have thought about product design, and I get frightened by how technical things can get to!
    For some jobs, you don't have to have a specific degree do you...like could u get into engineering with a Maths degree?

...like could u get into engineering with a Maths degree?
    There is NOTHING that you cannot do with a maths degree!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Are you interested in Computer Graphics and Digital Art?
    To be honest, not really - or at least I haven't looked into it deeply enough ...I suppose your trying to introduce the mathematics of programming behind it all:P?
    I was into web designing before :rolleyes: but I just limited myself to boring HTML pages.

ReputationRep:
    There is NOTHING that you cannot do with a maths degree!!!
    Well my bro had a pHD in it, and he keeps getting made redundant every now and again...which is a concern.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, not really - or at least I haven't looked into it deeply enough ...I suppose your trying to introduce the mathematics of programming behind it all:P?
    I was into web designing before :rolleyes: but I just limited myself to boring HTML pages.
    I was thinking along the lines of visual effects design, advertising and digital media, publishing etc ... stuff like that.

Some of these courses have a maths component to them as well so you can learn about how all the fancy design software works. Would be a nice way of combing art with maths but if this doesn't peak your interest then I dunno? :confused: * shrugs *

Well my bro had a pHD in it, and he keeps getting made redundant every now and again...which is a concern.
    So then what courses are you going for?
    I'm hopefully going to be doing Computer Science & Electronics (maybe switch to Comp Sci & Maths but I'll have to think about it)!!!

(Original post by shiny)
    I was thinking along the lines of visual effects design, advertising and digital media, publishing etc ... stuff like that.

Some of these courses have a maths component to them as well so you can learn about how all the fancy design software works. Would be a nice way of combing art with maths but if this doesn't peak your interest then I dunno? :confused: * shrugs *
    Suddely I'm looking forward to the graphic design section of my course. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Suddely I'm looking forward to the graphic design section of my course. :confused:
    WHAT graphic design section on your comp sci course?

Hmm this spokeswoman who came in to my school, suggested I could do a gap year, but then there's the new fees to consider, however I think the latest news is that if you defer entry for 2006 it's ok (i.e. u still pay the £1000 odd fee)? The gap year would be good if i got for the arty or even :confused: engineering route, but not recommended for maths i think, cos they say the maths ppl rot in one year if they don't touch maths!

WHAT graphic design section on your comp sci course?

Hmm this spokeswoman who came in to my school, suggested I could do a gap year, but then there's the new fees to consider, however I think the latest news is that if you defer entry for 2006 it's ok (i.e. u still pay the £1000 odd fee)? The gap year would be good if i got for the arty or even :confused: engineering route, but not recommended for maths i think, cos they say the maths ppl rot in one year if they don't touch maths!
    Yeah I have a couple of optional modules apparently and I dislike the idea of THAT much A.I so I have been looking at the digital graphics / graphic design / graphic programmming ones as an alternative.

Not really sure about the gap year thing, although I can see why people would be wary of maths students taking a year out and forgetting what a differential equation actually was....lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have a couple of optional modules apparently and I dislike the idea of THAT much A.I so I have been looking at the digital graphics / graphic design / graphic programmming ones as an alternative.
    Cool, it makes the comp sci course sound much more interesting!

ReputationRep:
    i know a girl who was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago and what she did is a foundation art degree in a really good art uni (wimbledon school os art) this gave her a whole year to decide what degree she wants to do after her foundation art course. maybe you could do this?

(this is my 200ndth post! )

ReputationRep:
    I AM taking a number of activities during Summer, so hope they'll confirm my choices!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    i know a girl who was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago and what she did is a foundation art degree in a really good art uni (wimbledon school os art) this gave her a whole year to decide what degree she wants to do after her foundation art course. maybe you could do this?

(this is my 200ndth post! )
    If the thing about deferred 2006 entry, not having to pay the new fees really comes in, I think I will consider doing the foundation art, cos it's suppose to be really explorative!
    By the way do you know what the girl went into after the foundation art?

ReputationRep:
    If the thing about deferred 2006 entry, not having to pay the new fees really comes in, I think I will consider doing the foundation art, cos it's suppose to be really explorative!
    By the way do you know what the girl went into after the foundation art?

erm...no but my mum knows (it's her friend's daughter) so i'll ask her and let you know later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    erm...no but my mum knows (it's her friend's daughter) so i'll ask her and let you know later!
    Cheers, you can PM the answer...probs easier.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.