Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Official Biology A Paper 2:Development,Plants and the Environment-7th of June Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    I got 387.The fact we got such a small range between our answers is good though.
    i got that but rounded to 2 significant figures 390

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicoledsk)
    i got that but rounded to 2 significant figures 390
    Why round it to that number of s.f ?Both answers are right regardless anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Same I had 387

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

Those of you who did the old spec resit (the one with labelleing a sperm cell), just wondering I had a couple of questions that are bugging me before I can relax and move on hahah

1) During the mitosis section what did everyone put for the reasons why the cells get smaller as it goes along?

2) for the section about the effect of plant extracts on bacteria experiment, for the suggestion of a change to the method I put adding a control group of water? Would I still get a mark for this (I think they were hinting that you should have said do more repeats using the flower instead of the leaf).

Thanks ! Hope it went well for everyone x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Day)
    oh ok. No there was definitely no question about Polyspermy or cortical granules.
    If you are talking about the new spec,yes there was.It was the first question and was a multiple choice question .You had to say which one was the purpose of the cortical reaction and it was the one that said to prevent polyspermy.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, is it just me or did anyone else find this paper extremely hard? I mean it was even harder than the specimen paper... . I was feeling so confident about this exam as well. The first few questions were fine but then there were too many graphs/diagrams/tables etc. I think I did really bad in that exam, and I was hoping to get atleast 80% lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    If you are talking about the new spec,yes there was.It was the first question and was a multiple choice question .You had to say which one was the purpose of the cortical reaction and it was the one that said to prevent polyspermy.
    Whats polyspermy? I put D, which I think was to prevent other sperm from penetrating the egg or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)

Whats polyspermy? I put D, which I think was to prevent other sperm from penetrating the egg or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diastal)
    You answered your question.Multiple sperm getting into the egg is polyspermy,which is what the cortical reaction prevents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Why round it to that number of s.f ?Both answers are right regardless anyway.
    my teacher always said if unsure go to the number of significant figures used in the question. i listed both answers tho so it should be alright

ReputationRep:
    my teacher always said if unsure go to the number of significant figures used in the question. i listed both answers tho so it should be alright
    Do you think we will have low grade boundaries ?Even though I answered most of the questions,the paper was unusually difficult for unit 2 and it was worded differently from previous years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Do you think we will have low grade boundaries ?Even though I answered most of the questions,the paper was unusually difficult for unit 2 and it was worded differently from previous years.
    hopefully, it depends on how everyone found it as a whole but i personally thought that this paper was easier than the specimen?

ReputationRep:
    1) in the info it said that there was a shorter cell cycle as there was no G1 and G2 phase, just S phase and mitosis so I said that since there is no G1 and G2 phase the cell is not growing because both of these phases are involved with the growth of the cell

2) I said use the same part of the plant for all extracts so it makes the results more valid e.g. Use the leaf of the clove plant instead of the flower. You might get a mark for the control, I guess you could say that it can be used to compare the other results?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any sort of mark scheme, can someone go over the questions and the answers please xx

ReputationRep:
    hopefully, it depends on how everyone found it as a whole but i personally thought that this paper was easier than the specimen?
    I thought they were the same sort of difficulty but this exam worded things more tricky.Everyone seemed to have found it difficult,so I would guess low grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    This was BY FAR THE HARDEST BIOLOGY PAPER I'VE DONE!!!

ReputationRep:
    The question said during the first few divisions there isnt G1 or G2 stage, which are called the growth stages.. So I just said without G1 or G2 the cell doesn't grow and remains half the size of its mother cell.

for your other question I said using the same part of the plant extract (Stem and leaf, or something)

ReputationRep:
    Any unofficial mark schemes available yet?

ReputationRep:
    this thread is a mix up between those doing resits and the AS quite confusing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.