Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaaix_)
    Just had a look and turns out we didn't make full notes, we just named the parts of the syllabus covered.
    - oxidative phosphorylation (look back onto cellular respiration)
    - muscle fibres mentioned in para 5 (muscles and movement)
    - lungs mentioned in para 6 (AS book diffusion & gaseous exchange)
    - brain mentioned para 7 (know structure, specifically cerebrum)
    - blood clotting mechanism from AS para 9
    - atherosclerosis from AS para 9
    - immunity (worst topic ever) para 10
    - electron transport chain para 15 from respiration chapter
    - protein synthesis (again AS) para 19
    - ''random errors'' from para 19 may relate to mutations from AS and also genetics of A2
    - cancer in para 27 from AS
    - cholesterol and atherosclerosis para 28 from AS also
    - Parkinson's disease para 29 from A2 brain chapter
    - genetic test para 32 from AS
    - para 36 mentions acetylcholine, so nervous system may come up
    - brain imaging techniques from brain chapter para 39
    - depression and anxiety para 40 from A2 book (serotonin etc)

That's all I have and typing it out made me realize I may have to buy that biosolutions thing! I'll let you all know when I do
    Thank you so much for sharing, appreciated!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of purchasing that biosolutions thing tbh, looks quite good for lazy people like me haha! If I decide to, I'll post them here.
    We made some notes with our teacher in class a couple weeks ago, I'm gonna write them out and post them here as well kind of as a thank you for everyone else's notes. Aimen has saved my life I think
    Good luck amigos x
    I was thinking of purchasing them too! Whoever gets hold of them first can post them here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you guys prepared for biology unit 6 on 13th ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinu_Cheeku97)
    I was thinking of purchasing them too! Whoever gets hold of them first can post them here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OMG! You lifesaver!! When are you planning on buying them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandy_Vega30)
    OMG! You lifesaver!! When are you planning on buying them?
    Maybe next week. I'll let you know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Kind of. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Kind of. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same

ReputationRep:
    Maybe next week. I'll let you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Sort of, I think all unit 6 papers are all sort of the same. So I made summary notes on what to say with what they ask when I did a past paper, and I realized all papers followed the same structure

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, I think all unit 6 papers are all sort of the same. So I made summary notes on what to say with what they ask when I did a past paper, and I realized all papers followed the same structure
    Yeah I released that as well! And, I was thinking of finishing the past papers then doing some notes on each experiment from the past papers so it's pretty much like what you did. Have you solved January 2016? It's seems daunting

ReputationRep:
    Just had a look and turns out we didn't make full notes, we just named the parts of the syllabus covered.
    - oxidative phosphorylation (look back onto cellular respiration)
    - muscle fibres mentioned in para 5 (muscles and movement)
    - lungs mentioned in para 6 (AS book diffusion & gaseous exchange)
    - brain mentioned para 7 (know structure, specifically cerebrum)
    - blood clotting mechanism from AS para 9
    - atherosclerosis from AS para 9
    - immunity (worst topic ever) para 10
    - electron transport chain para 15 from respiration chapter
    - protein synthesis (again AS) para 19
    - ''random errors'' from para 19 may relate to mutations from AS and also genetics of A2
    - cancer in para 27 from AS
    - cholesterol and atherosclerosis para 28 from AS also
    - Parkinson's disease para 29 from A2 brain chapter
    - genetic test para 32 from AS
    - para 36 mentions acetylcholine, so nervous system may come up
    - brain imaging techniques from brain chapter para 39
    - depression and anxiety para 40 from A2 book (serotonin etc)

That's all I have and typing it out made me realize I may have to buy that biosolutions thing! I'll let you all know when I do
    I guess they don't have for the international students..
    I saw the website and saw "factory of life" not the aging one!
    But anyway if you get.. That'd be great!
    And i'm glad you got helped x)

ReputationRep:
    If it's possible, can you please post your summary notes here?

ReputationRep:
    Hey if there is any thread going on for biology unit 6 June 2016 please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    GUYS! I bought the biosolutions thing for ageing, @aimen it's on the website
    http://www.edexcelbiosolutions.com/i...ease-view-only
    It's actually perfect, haven't properly looked at it yet but at a glance it covers everything. Well worth 30 euros!
    I wanted to post them here but it's literally 40 pages long and when it says ''view only'' it actually means view only I tried to save them, tried to screenshot them, etc. Because it only views them on the page (and so zoomed in that by the time I screenshot it all the exam will be well over) I can't actually send them in full to you guys.
    I'm gonna try make a summary at one point after thursday's exam, and when I do that you'll have them!
    No promises tho cos I'm lazy af:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwana78)
    If it's possible, can you please post your summary notes here?
    Summary notes for unit 6 bc I haven't found the thread for it

when describing an experiment:
    -state dependent and independent variable and state how to measure the independent (dcpip, counting, measuring length, etc)
    -5 diff. values for dependent variable (e.g. temperature - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 deg) and how to control (waterbath/incubator,etc)
    -refer to REPEATS.
    -try come up with a control
    -state a variable to keep constant for validity (usually source of organism or pre-treatment, or fruit from same source)

writing null hypothesis:
    -''no significant correlation between (dependent) and (independent) variable
    OR
    -''no significant difference between (dependent) and (independent) variable
    -use correlation when comparing a range of values, use difference when comparing 2 diff values.

detailed method of experiment (same as describing PLUS these):
    -mention time period (example: leave for 48 hours)
    -2 variables to control and how to keep them constant (this gives 4 marks so MAKE SURE YOU DO IT)
    -description eg. aseptic conditions

when it asks to record, present and analyse data:
    -calculate the rate/growth/change
    -calculate means
    -draw table w/ headings and units
    -sketch graph w/ headings and units
    -say ''use spearmans rank to determine correlation''

I have a question tho if anyone knows the answer.
    On some questions it says ''the student applied a t-test to explore significance blah blah blah, she obtained this result, the table below shows critical values for t-test calculations'' how the hell do u draw conclusions from that:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    GUYS! I bought the biosolutions thing for ageing, @aimen it's on the website
    http://www.edexcelbiosolutions.com/i...ease-view-only
    It's actually perfect, haven't properly looked at it yet but at a glance it covers everything. Well worth 30 euros!
    I wanted to post them here but it's literally 40 pages long and when it says ''view only'' it actually means view only I tried to save them, tried to screenshot them, etc. Because it only views them on the page (and so zoomed in that by the time I screenshot it all the exam will be well over) I can't actually send them in full to you guys.
    I'm gonna try make a summary at one point after thursday's exam, and when I do that you'll have them!
    No promises tho cos I'm lazy af:laugh:
    You already received yours? Mine's taking a while as since the past two days it says that the payment is still being processed. Looks like i have to mail them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You already received yours? Mine's taking a while as since the past two days it says that the payment is still being processed. Looks like i have to mail them
    It took me ages to find mine, they said they would send me an activation email but they didn't.
    So I went onto the website, logged in, pressed ''my documents'' at the top and then where it says the ageing one there's a little magnifying glass and that opens it! Took me so long felt so stupid

ReputationRep:
    Summary notes for unit 6 bc I haven't found the thread for it

when describing an experiment:
    -state dependent and independent variable and state how to measure the independent (dcpip, counting, measuring length, etc)
    -5 diff. values for dependent variable (e.g. temperature - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 deg) and how to control (waterbath/incubator,etc)
    -refer to REPEATS.
    -try come up with a control
    -state a variable to keep constant for validity (usually source of organism or pre-treatment, or fruit from same source)

writing null hypothesis:
    -''no significant correlation between (dependent) and (independent) variable
    OR
    -''no significant difference between (dependent) and (independent) variable
    -use correlation when comparing a range of values, use difference when comparing 2 diff values.

detailed method of experiment (same as describing PLUS these):
    -mention time period (example: leave for 48 hours)
    -2 variables to control and how to keep them constant (this gives 4 marks so MAKE SURE YOU DO IT)
    -description eg. aseptic conditions

when it asks to record, present and analyse data:
    -calculate the rate/growth/change
    -calculate means
    -draw table w/ headings and units
    -sketch graph w/ headings and units
    -say ''use spearmans rank to determine correlation''

I have a question tho if anyone knows the answer.
    On some questions it says ''the student applied a t-test to explore significance blah blah blah, she obtained this result, the table below shows critical values for t-test calculations'' how the hell do u draw conclusions from that:cry2:
    Thank you soooo much!
    Let me try to answer your question though.
    You usually use significance level 0.05 (I.e 95% confidence level) and then you compare the student calculated t value with the critical value at 0.05, and then draw out a conclusion from that. If the students calculated value is higher than the critical value then you accept that there is a correlation in the two variables that you're investigating. (Eg: There is a significant correlation between the increase in conc of rennin and the rate of milk clotting; if there is a null hypothesis stated then you reject it and you have to mention this in the ans as well aaaaand you can also state if there is a positive or a negative correlation) if the student's calculated value is lower than the critical value then you state that there is no significant correlation between blah blah and you accept the null hypothesis (state null hypothesis only if it was asked in the question before) if asked, you have to give the biological explanation as well.
    Sometimes degrees of freedom is given and you have to choose in that case don't panic it's just the sample size.

0.05 is the probability and 95% is its percentage.

I hope it's clear to you now.

You already received yours? Mine's taking a while as since the past two days it says that the payment is still being processed. Looks like i have to mail themPosted from TSR Mobile
    It took me ages to find mine, they said they would send me an activation email but they didn't.So I went onto the website, logged in, pressed ''my documents'' at the top and then where it says the ageing one there's a little magnifying glass and that opens it! Took me so long felt so stupid
    So because you couldn't download it for us, I think I'll purchase it too, but is it really worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorable98)
    So because you couldn't download it for us, I think I'll purchase it too, but is it really worth it?
    I think it really is worth it! There's 59 predicted questions with paragraph answers which gives a full explained answer, list of all topics, words in the english dictionary with their definitions and then words from biological dictionary with definitions!

So cool:cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.