Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on doing GCSE music and my music teacher says that I should.
    She suggested that I do piano as she has noticed that I enjoy listening to her play piano. She has even taken some notes that I carry about with me and played them.

She suggested that I start piano lessons in school before summer to get me to my grade one and then grade 2 then 3.
    I've seen that people have been saying that it takes ages to get their grade one. But we've done a lot of keyboard work in music class, so I'm not really a complete beginner. My teacher said I'm a fast learner and we have been doing keyboard work since last year. I may not be the best, but I think I'm ready to take the challenge. She also said that I should have my grade one by the start of summer.
    How long do you think it will take me to get my grade one?

ReputationRep:
    A few months max

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    A few months max
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freezerpup)
    Thank you
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freezerpup)
    I am planning on doing GCSE music and my music teacher says that I should.
    She suggested that I do piano as she has noticed that I enjoy listening to her play piano. She has even taken some notes that I carry about with me and played them.

She suggested that I start piano lessons in school before summer to get me to my grade one and then grade 2 then 3.
    I've seen that people have been saying that it takes ages to get their grade one. But we've done a lot of keyboard work in music class, so I'm not really a complete beginner. My teacher said I'm a fast learner and we have been doing keyboard work since last year. I may not be the best, but I think I'm ready to take the challenge. She also said that I should have my grade one by the start of summer.
    How long do you think it will take me to get my grade one?
    I've got grade one and two pianoforte and music theory. It is quite easy if you apply yourself. Learn those scales!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah grades earlier on are more mechanical - do the scales and maybe a couple of basic arpeggios, play a tune, etc. - in the higher grades they seem to also start judging you on your musicianship.

You'll get it no sweat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I've got grade one and two pianoforte and music theory. It is quite easy if you apply yourself. Learn those scales!
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    Yeah grades earlier on are more mechanical - do the scales and maybe a couple of basic arpeggios, play a tune, etc. - in the higher grades they seem to also start judging you on your musicianship.

You'll get it no sweat.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Good luck!
    Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    I took up the guitar as an adult however, and now consider that my primary instrument!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it personally took me ages to get to Grade 1 - from like age 7 to 9... but! I never practised as a kid because I was pretty much always playing outside, and my mum didn't want me to be put off the piano if she tried to force me. If you put your mind to it, and you've already learnt a bit - I say half a year you should be ready. For my Grade 4 I literally learnt half of one piece the night before, and I still got good marks on it. So, I suppose anything's possible!

(Edit: Nope, now I think about it - I remember I was also touching up on that piece pretty much one hour before my actual exam.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draculaura)
    Yeah, it personally took me ages to get to Grade 1 - from like age 7 to 9... but! I never practised as a kid because I was pretty much always playing outside, and my mum didn't want me to be put off the piano if she tried to force me. If you put your mind to it, and you've already learnt a bit - I say half a year you should be ready. For my Grade 4 I literally learnt half of one piece the night before, and I still got good marks on it. So, I suppose anything's possible!

(Edit: Nope, now I think about it - I remember I was also touching up on that piece pretty much one hour before my actual exam.)
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan so far! I remember really struggling at first as we didn't buy a piano until after I did my grade 3, I practised mostly on my tiny keyboard at home. Everyone learns at different paces- I was probably slower to start of with because of that, but as long as you practise regularly little and often you should be well prepared to do your grade 1 by then. I would say a term or so for grade 1, as you progress into higher grades like 2 and 3 you'll be much more familiarised as you'll have gotten the gist of the exams and practising techniques etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SabrinaKo)
    Sounds like a good plan so far! I remember really struggling at first as we didn't buy a piano until after I did my grade 3, I practised mostly on my tiny keyboard at home. Everyone learns at different paces- I was probably slower to start of with because of that, but as long as you practise regularly little and often you should be well prepared to do your grade 1 by then. I would say a term or so for grade 1, as you progress into higher grades like 2 and 3 you'll be much more familiarised as you'll have gotten the gist of the exams and practising techniques etc.
    Thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    Grade 1's pretty easy - back in the distant past when I did it, I think it probably took me about 6 months from being a complete musical n00b to getting a distinction in grade 1.

You've already covered a lot of musical theory do I doubt it'll take you more than 2 months max :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Much respect for deciding to learn to play the piano I am currently taking a break after doing my grade 7.

It should take maybe 2/3 months at most if you're already musically gifted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Grade 1's pretty easy - back in the distant past when I did it, I think it probably took me about 6 months from being a complete musical n00b to getting a distinction in grade 1.

You've already covered a lot of musical theory do I doubt it'll take you more than 2 months max :yep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyAbs)
    Much respect for deciding to learn to play the piano I am currently taking a break after doing my grade 7.

It should take maybe 2/3 months at most if you're already musically gifted.
    Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.