Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is a girl in my some if my classes that I would like to be friends with, we are similar types of girls, both academic but play a bit of sports etc...

However we are both quite quiet in lessons so don't really speak to anyone other than who is next to us. Also, we have a seating plan so it's harder to chat than if we were next to each other within the lesson. I have spoken to her every now and then, however sometimes she just blankly looks/glances at me or when she walks past, doesn't look at all.

I have spoken to a family member who knows her through school also, he said she is very nice but quiet. I don't know if she dislikes me, i thought we were starting to become friends as she appeoached me three times around 2-3 weeks ago but we haven't really spoken since. Is this happening because she is too shy to approach me? Or will it just take time to ease into an actual friendship? I know i could and should just say hi if I walk past her but it might seem out of the blue and some of the time she doesn't even look. Has anyone had this happen before?

ReputationRep:
    whisper when you talk to her

ReputationRep:
    Does she have a lot of close friends she talks to? If not, she will probably be glad of a friend. Maybe try asking her if she wants to come for lunch with you or something similar?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    maybe you could get her whats app or skupe then you culd messahe each other? Alternatively you seem to be doing fine, your friendly and not overpowering. maybe one day you cna suggest doing soemthing together, film , sport, event dunno. fact you have spoken to a family member was smart.

take with a pinch of salt its just ideas.
    http://www.succeedsocially.com/shytalk
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Friends-...ely-Shy-Person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There is a girl in my some if my classes that I would like to be friends with, we are similar types of girls, both academic but play a bit of sports etc...

However we are both quite quiet in lessons so don't really speak to anyone other than who is next to us. Also, we have a seating plan so it's harder to chat than if we were next to each other within the lesson. I have spoken to her every now and then, however sometimes she just blankly looks/glances at me or when she walks past, doesn't look at all.

I have spoken to a family member who knows her through school also, he said she is very nice but quiet. I don't know if she dislikes me, i thought we were starting to become friends as she appeoached me three times around 2-3 weeks ago but we haven't really spoken since. Is this happening because she is too shy to approach me? Or will it just take time to ease into an actual friendship? I know i could and should just say hi if I walk past her but it might seem out of the blue and some of the time she doesn't even look. Has anyone had this happen before?
    I'm probably a girl like yourselves. Can you not add her on Facebook or anything? Or join clubs/societies that you know she's a part of that you also like?

ReputationRep:
    Step 1 - Say Hi, quiet people are people too.
    Step 2 - Make them comfortable.
    Step 3 - Laugh at the time you remembered them as quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Step 3 - Laugh at the time you remembered them as quiet.
    Accurate description.

(Original post by jenigma)
    I'm probably a girl like yourselves. Can you not add her on Facebook or anything? Or join clubs/societies that you know she's a part of that you also like?
    I've got her on Instagram, although my approach has been to just smile or say hi so she knows i'm friendly but as I said, she sometimes avoids looking at me and it is so confusing. Just trying not to take it to heart and instead take each encounter as it comes, occasionally she does smile/acknowledge me. Bearing in mind the first proper conversation we had was just over two weeks ago so it's early days still.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.