Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm applying to Master's programs in International Relations and I came across Aberystwyth's program. Does it have a good reputation? I've seen people praising it but I haven't heard about it until recently.

ReputationRep:
    It is well known in England and one of the oldest IR programmes. Well regarded for its research and focus on conflict, peace, governance and policy. Are you an international student by any change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    It is well known in England and one of the oldest IR programmes. Well regarded for its research and focus on conflict, peace, governance and policy. Are you an international student by any change?
    Yes! I'm from the US and I've applied to a number of graduate schools in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    First off, what are your academic areas of interest within IR and what are your target IR programmes? Governance, Sec, policy analysis, Peace & Conflict, development, international politics, critical theory, IPE, IOs, Social Equality, poverty etc? I heard from my prof that Aberystwyth IR was established after the WW I as a response to research conflict. It is smaller than Oxford or LSE's IR faculty. The faculty is mid sized and good student to prof ratio as it is a friendly programme. English IR students def know Aberystwyth and some IR people abroad too.

I think the course is 1 yr and less structured compared to 2 yr US IR programmes at Gov Aff Schools such as G-Town SFS, Fletcher, SIPA, SAIS, GWU, Chicago etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to concentrate on policy analysis and international politics with a very specific interest in Poland and other post-Communist countries in Central and Eastern Europe. One of my main reasons for going to the UK is actually the price compared to other highly-ranked US private schools. (And it's only for a year and I'd like to do a Ph.D eventually)

I also applied to IR at Edinburgh and SSEES at UCL for my target programs. IR at Cambridge is my reach. (I also applied for an MPhil in Polish Studies at Cambridge but that isn't quite relevant.)

ReputationRep:
    I get it that cost is a factor and you wish to avoid student debt at fancy US schools. Particularly if you wish to do PhD, keep an eye on their PhD programmes. While most IR offer policy analysis, the Eastern European focus narrows it down nicely. You are def on the right track and go for fit at your target schools. Edin is established though pricier than Aberystwyth.

What do you think of the 2 yr MA Russian and Eastern European Studies (IMRCEES) at Glasgow Uni? I spoke a while ago to someone with focus on Eastern Europe and she mentioned Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I go to Aberystwyth [English Department] From what I've seen and heard from friends, they really enjoy their degree, the IR building is great and there are lots of resources and the IR department has some pretty great, world-renowned lecturers. Aberystwyth is a very small [but student orientated] town, so if you are keen on living somewhere where it is very busy/metropolitan-like you may have to think about this. At the same time, it is really quite cheap to live here which is a significant factor if you are considering to obtain more than 1 degree as living costs add up quick, easy to get to campus/library, plenty of bars/restaurants for how small it is, and is a coastal town.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by wolf232)
    Hello! I'm applying to Master's programs in International Relations and I came across Aberystwyth's program. Does it have a good reputation? I've seen people praising it but I haven't heard about it until recently.
    It's got an excellent reputation, as previous posters have mentioned. Very well known in IR circles and a very strong PhD programme. The reason you may not have heard of it is that Aberystwyth is, well remote - I'm not sure what the US equivalent might be, but out in the boondocks? Podunk? It's a small market town in rural mid-Wales. One way of looking at it is that it creates a fantastic community, and the uni has every activity you can think of right on the doorstep, plus countryside, beaches, sea etc, another version is it has no night-life, is well beyond the outer boundary of civilisation and takes a week to travel to. Academically it's worth taking very seriously for IR, but think about the social life and environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's got an excellent reputation, as previous posters have mentioned. Very well known in IR circles and a very strong PhD programme. The reason you may not have heard of it is that Aberystwyth is, well remote - I'm not sure what the US equivalent might be, but out in the boondocks? Podunk? It's a small market town in rural mid-Wales. One way of looking at it is that it creates a fantastic community, and the uni has every activity you can think of right on the doorstep, plus countryside, beaches, sea etc, another version is it has no night-life, is well beyond the outer boundary of civilisation and takes a week to travel to. Academically it's worth taking very seriously for IR, but think about the social life and environment.
    A week to travel to? Do you mean by plane or? Aberystwyth to Portsmouth takes 7 and a half hours by train, unless you're just exaggerating It definitely can feel out of the way sometimes, especially as I'm from a city, but you get used to it for sure
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Franas)
    A week to travel to? Do you mean by plane or? Aberystwyth to Portsmouth takes 7 and a half hours by train, unless you're just exaggerating It definitely can feel out of the way sometimes, especially as I'm from a city, but you get used to it for sure
    I'm exaggerating! It is a long, but very scenic drive, no chance of a motorway or even a dual carriageway, but plenty of chance of sheep on the road. Or the one railway line in from Shrewsbury. I did my undergrad there many, many years ago, and loved it, but it's not for everyone (unless they are doing IR or Librarianship)

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.