Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to pick a firm choice and I've got offers from both, same entry requirement (AAA). My parents are pushing me towards Bath, however I'm not sure if this is the place for me. I live abroad so I won't be able to go visit either uni
    Any opinions/comments would be really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klaraczuraj)
    I need to pick a firm choice and I've got offers from both, same entry requirement (AAA). My parents are pushing me towards Bath, however I'm not sure if this is the place for me. I live abroad so I won't be able to go visit either uni
    If you haven't already, get both prospectuses, read up on everything necessary on both websites, look at the accommodations, what they have on their campuses, the city of Bath and Bristol. Say you pick Bristol, you could easily jump on the train down to Bath and it won't even take that long since they're relatively close to one another. Get into contact with current Bath and Bristol students and get them to tell you their experience, go on youtube and look at the videos or vlogs from current students.

What are the pros and cons of firming Bath or Bristol, make a list. Then decide on the 3-5 most important things you want out of the universities.

Consider everything from all avenues and then decide which to firm.

Try not to let your parents influence your decision too much because they're not gonna be the ones spending 3-4 years at the Bath. But if you decide you want to go to Bath, then by all means, firm it

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undine_monty)
    If you haven't already, get both prospectuses, read up on everything necessary on both websites, look at the accommodations, what they have on their campuses, the city of Bath and Bristol. Say you pick Bristol, you could easily jump on the train down to Bath and it won't even take that long since they're relatively close to one another. Get into contact with current Bath and Bristol students and get them to tell you their experience, go on youtube and look at the videos or vlogs from current students.

What are the pros and cons of firming Bath or Bristol, make a list. Then decide on the 3-5 most important things you want out of the universities.

Consider everything from all avenues and then decide which to firm.

Try not to let your parents influence your decision too much because they're not gonna be the ones spending 3-4 years at the Bath. But if you decide you want to go to Bath, then by all means, firm it

Good luck
    Omg thank you so so so much for taking the time to write this all!
    I'll definitely take your advice and try make a list of pros and cons, I've been doing a fair amount of research and it feels like most people are urging me to pick Bristol due to it being a city and better atmosphere and nightlife.. But yeah, would you say rankings are an important factor?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bath student here, if you have any questions ask away. I don't study Politics and IR, so I cannot tell you much about the course (other than a bit about 2 modules you guys do - Key Concepts in Politics and Modern World Economy, and I think the latter is optional) however if you have any questions about the Uni/city/lifestyle, fire away

ReputationRep:
    I'll definitely take your advice and try make a list of pros and cons, I've been doing a fair amount of research and it feels like most people are urging me to pick Bristol due to it being a city and better atmosphere and nightlife.. But yeah, would you say rankings are an important factor?
    Thanks!
    They are both ranked fairly similarly and, even if one university was slightly ranked above the other, the difference at this stage is negligible; what's more important is what you do at university (i.e. volunteering, doing related ECs, internships, etc). It's not like you're choosing between Edinburgh or South Bank.

At this point what's more important is: which course appeals to you better? Where would you prefer to live? Bearing in mind that this is 3 years of your life so this is quite important. However, saying that, both are really close to each other (I'm currently in Bristol) and they are literally a 15 minute train ride to each other. I'd choose Bristol personally (surprise!), as there is a lot more to do, and if I ever wanted to spend some time in Bath I can just hop on the train and stay at my friend's or something because it's so close.

If you have any questions about Bristol (unfortunately I don't do Politics/IR) then feel free to PM me!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    No problem

I think rankings are important to some extent like if Bath and Bristol are close to one another in the league tables then it doesn't really matter as much, but if they're vastly different, I would pick the best. Don't just consider the universities as a whole. Compare their rankings for your course, student satisfaction, graduate prospects etc

I don't think the rankings are the most important factor but they can act as a guide to see how good the unis and courses are rated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    Bath student here, if you have any questions ask away. I don't study Politics and IR, so I cannot tell you much about the course (other than a bit about 2 modules you guys do - Key Concepts in Politics and Modern World Economy, and I think the latter is optional) however if you have any questions about the Uni/city/lifestyle, fire away
    What would you say personally led you to choosing Bath? What's your favourite / least favourite thing about Bath? How do you find the facilities/teaching/general university?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    They are both ranked fairly similarly and, even if one university was slightly ranked above the other, the difference at this stage is negligible; what's more important is what you do at university (i.e. volunteering, doing related ECs, internships, etc). It's not like you're choosing between Edinburgh or South Bank.

At this point what's more important is: which course appeals to you better? Where would you prefer to live? Bearing in mind that this is 3 years of your life so this is quite important. However, saying that, both are really close to each other (I'm currently in Bristol) and they are literally a 15 minute train ride to each other. I'd choose Bristol personally (surprise!), as there is a lot more to do, and if I ever wanted to spend some time in Bath I can just hop on the train and stay at my friend's or something because it's so close.

If you have any questions about Bristol (unfortunately I don't do Politics/IR) then feel free to PM me!
    Yeah, an issue I have is that my parents swear by the rankings table so they see Bath as superior because it's currently like 3 or 4 places higher than Bristol. However, I feel like Bristol would probably be more interesting and fun than Bath. How do you find the city? What made you choose Bristol? Anything you don't like?
    Cheers x

ReputationRep:
    What would you say personally led you to choosing Bath? What's your favourite / least favourite thing about Bath? How do you find the facilities/teaching/general university?
    Cheers
    I was never originally gonna firm Bath. I didn't even think I'd get given an offer from them because they were my highly optimistic choice.

The main reason I applied to Bath in the first place was because of the placement year they did for most of the courses. It looked really appealing to take a year off from studying to work and gain experience. I read that you can also be hired by the company you did your placement when you graduate if you do a really good job. Even if you're not hired by your placement company, you're still at an advantage from all the other graduates in the job market with your one year experience in the work place. It makes you more hireable and you can start at a higher position with more pay compared to another graduate without experience.

A few weeks before I got my offer, I started looking into the university more, I didn't even bother when I applied. From the beginning I said to myself that I would firm Surrey but after a few months I started to feel uncomfortable with its closeness to London. I was born and raised in London. Don't get me wrong, its a great city to live in but I wanted to go somewhere further away, live somewhere else for a change. That was another factor, the location. Bath is quaint and calm and far enough away from where I lived (its an hour and half train ride away). Bath has narrow roads and loads of shops from designer shops to little bakeries. Everything is beige but its fine because it adds to the 'historicness' of the place. The Roman Baths are there as well as the Jane Austin museum place.

I went to an applicant day last Wednesday and I loved the buildings, they were all mostly modern. I didn't even think the older buildings looked to bad either. I felt there was a perfect balance of bad and good looking buildings . The accommodations looked like hotels compared to the ones at other universities. We were given 2 taster lectures in one of the lecture rooms and the lecturers, they seemed really dedicated to Sociology/Social Policy etc and they were very interesting and were able to enthuse all the other applicants and parents there. They also seemed very warm and friendly like you could approach them with any problem and they'd help. The building the department was in, it was alright. It wasn't the best looking but it had its charm.

I liked the modules they offered for Sociology as well. That could be another thing you could look at when comparing Bath and Bristol.

I liked how everything was close together on campus, so it wouldn't take too long to walk from one end to the other. It was compact. I also liked the range of places to eat there and the Student Union was bustling and vibrant. I never went into the library but I could imagine it would've looked so great. We were on the parade and a few ducks make waddling by. The ducks just roam around
    I also read somewhere that there is a cat that roams around campus as well. I'd love to meet it :^_^:

The sports village place was really good. They had loads of facilities, loads of sports. It was enticing enough to make me want to get back into sports. Some professional sports teams also train there which it quite cool and I got told Prince Harry visited as well! It was that good, royalty came out for a visit!

The general atmosphere of the uni was bustling but it was still sort of relaxing. The atmosphere was welcoming, I really felt at home there.

My least favourite thing about the uni is its lack of diversity, the uni itself as well as the city but it was to be expected since its not in a major city like London or Birmingham. The pros of Bath majorly outweigh that one con so its okay. There are many cultural societies anyway.

This was sooo long, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, an issue I have is that my parents swear by the rankings table so they see Bath as superior because it's currently like 3 or 4 places higher than Bristol. However, I feel like Bristol would probably be more interesting and fun than Bath. How do you find the city? What made you choose Bristol? Anything you don't like?
    Cheers x
    Rankings are good for getting a general 'feel' for the reputation/prestige of a university, but should not be used as the be all and end all... League tables use a lot of arbitrary and, occasionally, unsuitable criteria for undergraduate studies to rank universities - such as research quality, and to a certain extent, student satisfaction. Bristol's student satisfaction is particularly low because the student's union is far, isn't great for events, etc. Basically it's low for silly reasons so you need to take league tables with a pinch of salt.

You're right in that Bristol is more interesting and fun - Bath is very pretty, but at the end of the day there really isn't much to do except go sightseeing because it's not very big. A lot of bath students go to Bristol for a night out so I think that kinda says a lot. Also, there's a bit of a housing crisis atm in Bath from what my friends say and it sounds like a nightmare, so you have to keep that in mind.

I love Bristol - it's the perfect size for a student! I'm from London so I'm used to spending hours travelling to get anywhere but in Bristol, everything is walking distance; and if you're feeling particularly lazy then you get a free bus pass which goes through uni/the centre/halls anyway. But honestly, everything you need is probably within a 20 minute walk.

We have so many clubs, bars, pubs and restaurants that I'm in my third year and I'm still discovering so many places even now. You have clubs that just play bog standard cheesy/chart hits, underground (D&B, techno, trance, jungle, etc) music, many venues also do gigs and live music, even jazz nights. Then you have your festivals in the summer like LSTD, Tokyo World, etc which are awesome. Also hot air ballooning is popular over the summer. Don't even get me started on the amazing restaurants we have...

I chose Bristol because I wanted to go to the best university I could that still had an incredible nightlife and I definitely made the right choice. The universities considered 'better' than Bristol such as Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham, etc are all dull as **** :lol:

What I don't like about Bristol is, true to the stereotype, there is an air of pretentiousness/snobbiness...but I presume that this is also prevalent in other RG universities, but probably less so. Just a minor annoyance. But because university is so big. you don't need to hang out with anyone you don't want to and I've found friends who are from similar backgrounds to me easily. Also the SU is so far, but they're thinking of moving it closer to the precinct soon.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers
    For me, it was a combination of three factors mainly - the fact it was campus-based (unlike Bristol), had an industrial placement year embedded as part of the degree (unlike Bristol) and had a better reputation for my particular course. The campus-based thing, alongside the accommodation offered at Bath, was a pretty big factor for me.

Favourite thing would have to be the fact that the entire city is practically built around the Uni. There are exceptionally good transport links (buses running from the Uni to the city once every 3-4 minutes and back), literally everywhere does student discounts, events on in the city for students, etc etc etc. It's a much more closely-knit community than compared to a large city-based Uni like Bristol, so when I go around town or anywhere on campus I am always bound to run into someone I know. Which, whilst the nightlife in Bath is significantly worse than in Bristol, does make the Uni life quite sociable in my opinion. Oh and the city of Bath is ridiculously beautiful.

Worst thing about Bath would probably be prices. Second most expensive place to live in the UK after London, and there is no extra grant/loan provided, so in real terms, you're gonna be worse off for money in Bath, rather than Bristol, where stuff is a lot cheaper (For example, there is no ASDA in Bath, but plenty of Sainsbury's knocking about). You can do food orders online from the ASDA in Bristol, but again, that would be the biggest downside. Oh and the nightlife. It is APPALLING. There are basically 5 main clubs in the city, and the only music you're graced with is either UK Top 40 (the main club in the city is a huge culprit for this) or at the other end of the spectrum, killer deep house music (this is only in one club really though). And nights out are not cheap, its usually around £5 just to get in (compared to my home town where its free).

The University in general is excellent though. Has all the facilities you might need - has a Bank/library/plenty of food and drink restaurants/canteens etc, got a nightline service if you want to talk to someone confidentially, a medical centre etc. If theres anything specific you want to find out if its there or not, just ask away. Like I said before, excellent transport links between the city and the University. Bear in mind, the Library is usually always crammed no matter what time of the year it is.

Teaching wise, I think for my course, its not very good. Only for a couple of modules have the lecturers added any particular value to what is on the slides. One module I did, I scored a First on and I only went to 1 lecture out of 13. So some can be seriously seriously boring and pointless. For your course, you won't have much contact hours, a lot of it is gonna be reading around (prepare yourself for lots of Library trips) but the Library is good here, it usually has everything you need.

Anything else, fire away.

Edit: Just adding onto what someone else said on here, there is a serious lack of cultural and ethnic diversity. Significant majority of people at the University are white, southern folks (not that theres anything bad, a lot of people are excellent to hang around with) and theres a few chinese too. Barely anyone with an Indian/Pakistani ethnicity, or around there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.