The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah, it's quite a competitive course.

I still feel the requirements are very tough for the course they offer, I don't think BA Economics at Nottingham is an AAA course.
Reply 2
BazTheMoney
Yeah, it's quite a competitive course.

I still feel the requirements are very tough for the course they offer, I don't think BA Economics at Nottingham is an AAA course.

Mmm I think it's high too, considering it sounds quite similar to all the other BA courses out there. Must just be oversubscribed I guess :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Thats why I'm going for Industrial, it states ABB...probably going to need at least AAB though :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Ellie4
Mmm I think it's high too, considering it sounds quite similar to all the other BA courses out there. Must just be oversubscribed I guess :rolleyes:

It's 99% egoistical I think, having an AAA requirement gives an impression of academic excellence, which I don't think Nottingham has much of. It's a very good department, but not as good as UCL, Cambridge or LSE.
Reply 5
jumpunderaboat
Thats why I'm going for Industrial, it states ABB...probably going to need at least AAB though :rolleyes:

Do you reckon its worth applying to both? Or shall I just apply for one, and then swap into it if I change my mind about what I really want to do? All though, I suppose you can't swap from an ABB course into an AAA course, and you'd be mad to go the other way. Hmm....
Reply 6
Ellie4
Do you reckon its worth applying to both? Or shall I just apply for one, and then swap into it if I change my mind about what I really want to do? All though, I suppose you can't swap from an ABB course into an AAA course, and you'd be mad to go the other way. Hmm....

I wouldn't bother applying to both, seems like a bit of a wasted choice to me. But I suspect that they cover quite a few of the same modules, so changing shouldn't be to hard in that respect and if you get AAA but still go for the ABB course you should still be able to change.
Reply 7
Ellie4
Anyone know much about this degree? It needs AAA, does that mean it's really competitive to get in to?

AAA does not represent the quality of the course at nottingham but it represents the excessive demand over the supply for this course (and indeed for most course at nottingham)
It is almost fashinable to apply to nottingham mainly because people think it has a right balance between work and play and a good nightlife etc.......which is the case in most unis.
Although this year's nobel Prize was won by a Nottingham Graduate (Mind u he studied Maths) I don't think their Economics department Mathches places Like LSE, UCL and Warwick who are also asking for AAA. I don't think you get "good value for Money".
Reply 8
Ellie4

You can do that as long as the admissions for both course is done by the same department. Of course if you get ABB at your A-levels they won't allow you to change but if u get AAA at your a-levels (inc Maths) then you can do that during your 1st year.
Reply 9
is it a good idea to apply to 2 courses under one department? do the admissions tutor prefer you not to or not?
Reply 10
TheWolf
is it a good idea to apply to 2 courses under one department? do the admissions tutor prefer you not to or not?

No i think its a waste. IF the same guy gonna be looking at ur application then he d think ur just desperate to go to that uni no matter what course...this ofcourse depends on how similar the two course are...
So i'd advice you to apply to the Less popular course and then change because u can definetly do that if u do well in ur first yr.
Reply 11
hey,

I think the reason Notts econ is 3 A's is cos its uber competitive. Ok perhaps not as competitive as LSE et al. but Nottingham is a very popular uni and gets lots (the most?) applications of all the unis. Hence to ration out the places and prevent 30 people applying for each place they raise the grades to 3A's. I do agree that there are probably some egoistical reasons i.e. to give the impression of being a top department (which they are) but the competiveness is the main reason I think. If they offerred AAB or ABB a billion people would apply.
bY the way, i got an offer for 05 entry so its not that competitive. Industrial econ sounds ok, international looks better imho but meh, if you do straight L100 you can still follow the ind or int econ courses with your options,

Hope this helped
Reply 12
HamaL
if u get AAA at your a-levels (inc Maths) then you can do that during your 1st year.

You don't actually need maths to do L100 at Nottingham.

Thanks for all your help though guys.
Isn't warwick AAB? Or have they upped it this year? :confused:
Reply 14
Ellie4
You don't actually need maths to do L100 at Nottingham.

ahh if so, the aaa offer is explained
Reply 15
Ellie4
You don't actually need maths to do L100 at Nottingham..

Yes thats what They Say but without a doubt they prefer students with A-level Maths.
Reply 16
HamaL
Yes thats what They Say but without a doubt they prefer students with A-level Maths.

they can pick out the very bright people who dont do maths alevel, but yea they do prefer alevel maths students ofcourse
Reply 17
Mysticmin
Isn't warwick AAB? Or have they upped it this year? :confused:

Warwick says : AAB plus a b at AS but considering they ve had over 2000 applicants for around 150 places i think u'd need a good AAA to be considerd.
i dont know whether to apply for L100 or intern econ, which maybe sounds more interesting

Latest

Trending

Trending