Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking this question, but I just joined the site earlier today and I'm still getting the hang of things.

I'm quite interested in the idea of living in another country for a short time or going on a holiday, mostly because you get to experience a new culture and become immersed in a foreign language. When I found out that you could study abroad, I was really interested in the idea since it wouldn't be forever, plus it wouldn't be like a holiday, meaning I'd have to be responsible for my spending and solve problems by myself without having parents there.

I'm currently in year 10, so university is quite far away still, but I'm probably going to go to sixth form (although I haven't fully decided and will look into colleges or maybe apprenticeships too), and I'll likely want to go to uni too after that.

I was mostly wondering whether every university has these studying abroad programmes, or if it's only certain universities, or if it's even just a completely independent programme altogether! Also, when you 'study', what is it that you study? Do you continue studying for the degree you've chosen, or do you take a class in the language of the country you're living in?

That might seem self explanatory, but if you're living somewhere that doesn't have many English-speaking professors and has a different system of education to the UK's, it seems to me that it'd be hard to work towards your degree if you're learning it in another language! But then I guess 6 months-1 year when your degree is on pause wouldn't be helpful at all.

Anyway, thank you if anyone has the answers to my questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam12345677)
    Hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking this question, but I just joined the site earlier today and I'm still getting the hang of things.

I'm quite interested in the idea of living in another country for a short time or going on a holiday, mostly because you get to experience a new culture and become immersed in a foreign language. When I found out that you could study abroad, I was really interested in the idea since it wouldn't be forever, plus it wouldn't be like a holiday, meaning I'd have to be responsible for my spending and solve problems by myself without having parents there.

I'm currently in year 10, so university is quite far away still, but I'm probably going to go to sixth form (although I haven't fully decided and will look into colleges or maybe apprenticeships too), and I'll likely want to go to uni too after that.

I was mostly wondering whether every university has these studying abroad programmes, or if it's only certain universities, or if it's even just a completely independent programme altogether! Also, when you 'study', what is it that you study? Do you continue studying for the degree you've chosen, or do you take a class in the language of the country you're living in?

That might seem self explanatory, but if you're living somewhere that doesn't have many English-speaking professors and has a different system of education to the UK's, it seems to me that it'd be hard to work towards your degree if you're learning it in another language! But then I guess 6 months-1 year when your degree is on pause wouldn't be helpful at all.

Anyway, thank you if anyone has the answers to my questions!
    It really depends on which university you are going to, however it isn't likely to be the language of that country. If you are going to a country where the lectures aren't conducted in English then you are usually expected to have a certain proficiency in that language- the majority of students going to say France, Spain e.c.t are language students. Language students are expected to either study abroad or work abroad in countries speaking the languages they are studying for a year. You also get American studies courses where you can take a year abroad to go to the USA, Canada or Australia (or sometimes Hong Kong). Obviously no language problems there. At my old uni all students who managed 55% in second year went. Beyond that though it depends on the university and the course. Some universities offer some courses with a year abroad option. Others let you do a semester abroad. Locations depend on ties the university has.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I went to the University of Nottingham which has campuses in both China and Malaysia. I did my second year in Malaysia and it really was an amazing experience and even considered transferring there for third year, it was that fun.

I'm not sure how it works at other unis, but at mine you could do your second year abroad at one of these two campuses and it would be fully credited. So you would come back and do your third year in the UK. However if you wanted to study abroad for a year at a third party university, then these were not credited and you would have to come back and do the missed year. A friend of mine did year 1/2 in the UK, then a year in Australia, but then had to come back to the UK for her final year so was a year behind. During my time abroad we took the exact same syllabus and exams (9pm exams weren't too fun!), however my friend in Australia took a different syllabus so understandably this was not credited but I guess it gave her a year where she didn't have much stress/pressure.

I'm not sure it would be a good experience to study abroad in a country where you don't know the language, and I'm sure this wouldn't be allowed. In a lot of non-English speaking countries there are often English language unis or UK/US/AUS campuses who will teach in English.

If you're really set on doing a year abroad I think that's a great goal. If you do decide to apply for university then should you still have this desire, make sure you pick a university that has a campus abroad. That way you can study abroad while earning accreditation towards your degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.