Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Spec AS Level Edexcel Official Physics Paper 2: Core Physics II - 9th of June Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zachy24)
    Didn't like that paper. Started off easy and ended easy but all the stuff in between was like. WHAT. Haha.
    Exactly, I already lost 4marks on that string mass per unit question and I got a lot of other questions wrong. I'm hoping for low grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The last with the free body force diagram was nice and easy - but Yea I couldn't do that one. I was looking at the units and what they gave you and thought....what? How do you get the 570ish newtons into kgm-2?! anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Zachy24 what 3 forces did u put- normal reaction, weight and the force of the rope? Were there any other forces that needed to be mentioned? And what did u get for the energy in the rope for the question on the last page?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashar15)
    Zachy24 what 3 forces did u put- normal reaction, weight and the force of the rope? Were there any other forces that needed to be mentioned? And what did u get for the energy in the rope for the question on the last page?
    I can't remember what I got for the energy stored sorry! But I used the equation Eel = 1/2FdeltaX and subbed in the value for the tension in the rope (around 570N I think) and the extension it gave you in the question.

And yes I put those 3. They should all balance out with tension and weight about equal and contact force the smallest (I think). Can't quite remember the question.

ReputationRep:
    I got like fiveish Joules on the energy in the rope

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get the extra distance travelled by the light reflecting on electrons? The 'show that' wanted 2dsin0 but sin0=opp/hyp = d/x so x= d/sin0 not dsin0. Doesn't make any sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyman1006)
    Did anyone get the extra distance travelled by the light reflecting on electrons? The 'show that' wanted 2dsin0 but sin0=opp/hyp = d/x so x= d/sin0 not dsin0. Doesn't make any sense...
    https://gyazo.com/5425a8ebc2e092dec4349b6bd013f40c This is what i found on the internet.......

ReputationRep:
    for the critical angle question, did u have to take the refractive index as the average of 1.56 and 1.2?

ReputationRep:
    http://a-levelphysicstutor.com/image...at-eq-diag.jpg

This picture shows how the grating equation is derived

If you look at this picture it is very similar to the situation in the exam. The green side is the extra distance one travels compared to the other and it was on both sides so it was 2x that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashar15)
    for the critical angle question, did u have to take the refractive index as the average of 1.56 and 1.2?
    You had to use the n2sinθ2 = n1sinθ1 where

sinθ2 = sin90 which = 1
    sinθ1 = sinC
    n2 = 1.2
    n1 = 1.56

This gives 1.2 = 1.56sinC
    1.2/1.56 = sinC
    C = sin-1(1.2/1.56) = 50.3 degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coo11ard)
    http://a-levelphysicstutor.com/image...at-eq-diag.jpg

This picture shows how the grating equation is derived

If you look at this picture it is very similar to the situation in the exam. The green side is the extra distance one travels compared to the other and it was on both sides so it was 2x that.
    The green line only represents part of the extra line travelled, and if you extend the line downwards then it is no longer equal to d. I don't see how that proves the answer

ReputationRep:
    The green line only represents part of the extra line travelled, and if you extend the line downwards then it is no longer equal to d. I don't see how that proves the answer
    Yah but you have to assume the lines are travelling the same distance for as long as that perpendicular line is true. If you have the salters horners book you will see that there is an exact image as the one in the exam and shows the labelling just like in the picture I sent and as I'm trying to explain.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20160609_235326.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  499.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    what did u all put for the question asking whether the circuit in part b was ok to show the moon stuff?

ReputationRep:
    It was a spiteful paper.
    Thought it was going to be easy for the multiple choice but then the questions got obscure and i they weren't obscure they were tough. The practice papers our faculty made us coz its a new spec were not really like the actual paper so i was very annoyed about this paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klimenski)
    It was a spiteful paper.
    Thought it was going to be easy for the multiple choice but then the questions got obscure and i they weren't obscure they were tough. The practice papers our faculty made us coz its a new spec were not really like the actual paper so i was very annoyed about this paper.
    I found it okay. I just didn't get the string question which annoyed me. I'm hoping for a B, hopefully there's low grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ye I got that question, you use the equation for the core practical f=1/2lrootT/mew
    It was just wierd context like Agaro spot for diffraction and interference. I felt I was repeating myself for some of the questions!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klimenski)
    Ye I got that question, you use the equation for the core practical f=1/2lrootT/mew
    It was just wierd context like Agaro spot for diffraction and interference. I felt I was repeating myself for some of the questions!!
    I did that. But stupidly didn't find the gradient of the line and put that in.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone calculate an answer within the range for the guitar question?

ReputationRep:
    What paper is this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.