Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with the following:
    Q) look at each of the sequences below:
    a) 198,205,212, 219, 226....
    b) 196, 205, 214, 223, 232.....
    What is the first number after 205 that will appear in both sequences. Work this out without writing every term in the sequence.

ReputationRep:
    How much about sequences do you know?

Here's one way to start...
    The nth term of the first sequence is 7n + 191, and the nth term of the second sequence is 9n + 187. Therefore, if the n_1th term in the first sequence is equal to the n_2th term in the second sequence, then
    7n_1 + 191 = 9n_2 + 187
    \implies 7n_1 + 4 = 9n_2.

Can you work out where to go from here?

ReputationRep:
    7n1 + 4 must be a multiple of 9
    Trial and error for n1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanyzoya)
    What is the first number after 205 that will appear in both sequences. Work this out without writing every term in the sequence.
    i'm not sure i can't find a way to do this but i did write out about 6 extra terms for each of the sequences and got the answer which was 268, now the question is, is there a way to do this mathematically?

ReputationRep:
    Zacken Student403 TeeEm

ReputationRep:
    7n1 + 4 must be a multiple of 9Trial and error for n1?
    You're on the right lines - you could use trial and error, but you should be able to spot a pattern if you try successive values of n_1, which will in fact enable you to work out all values of n_1 that work!

ReputationRep:

There isn't any point tagging TeeEm, by the way.

We have our first sequence as 191 + 7n for n \in \mathbb{N} and our second as 187 + 9n.

Then we want to find non-negative integers m and n such that 191 + 7n = 187 + 9m

This reduces to 9m - 7n = 4 which is a standard linear diophantine equation since 9 and 7 are relatively prime.

We can use Bezout's identity to find solutions to this since we already know that m=n=2 is a solution so that the other (infinitely many) solutions are given by:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\begin{cases} m =  2+ 7k \\ n = 2 + 9k \end{cases}\end{equation*}

For natural k - so the next solution is given by taking m = 9, n = 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)

We have our first sequence as 191 + 7n for n \in \mathbb{N} and our second as 187 + 9n.

Then we want to find non-negative integers m and n such that 191 + 7n = 187 + 9m

This reduces to 9m - 7n = 4 which is a standard linear diophantine equation since 9 and 7 are relatively prime.

We can use Bezout's identity to find solutions to this since we already know that m=n=2 is a solution so that the other (infinitely many) solutions are given by:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\begin{cases} m =  2+ 7k \\ n = 2 + 9k \end{cases}\end{equation*}

how come he left? ;(

also this stuff i swear when i was doing some research on this stuff i saw all that ^^^^^^^ and i died from complicatedness xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)

\displaystyle 

Fair enough - I did it in a more wordy way...

Focus on the right-hand side of 7n_1 + 4 = 9n_2. You're essentially looking for a multiple of 9 which is 4 more than a multiple of 7. We already know that the first time this happens is when n_2 = 2. If you work it out (e.g. by noticing that 9 is 2 more than 7, and so each successive multiple of 9 will leave a remainder that is 2 more than the previous multiple of 9 when divided by 7), you'll find that the next time it happens is when n_2 = 9, so that9n_2 = 81 = 7(11) + 4\implies n_1 = 11. If you substitute in the values of n_1 and n_2, then you get that the next number which appears in both sequences is 268.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrLatinNerd)
    Fair enough - I did it in a more wordy way...
    That's a nice method - especially since we're only looking for the next common term instead of a collection of the infinitely many common terms, where my method becomes more tractable.

Wordy is never a bad thing as long as you don't overdo it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    how come he left? ;(

also this stuff i swear when i was doing some research on this stuff i saw all that ^^^^^^^ and i died from complicatedness xD
    It's not very complicated, you can wrap your head around it long enough if you start at it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.