Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"If something is important it should be said in person" Do you agree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I do not understand why some people tell their crush that they have feelings for them via Facebook... Doesn't that loosen it's effect?

I do not understand people who think it's okay to ask someone to enter a romantic relationship via text/Facebook, That doesn't feel real as it's not in person. I doubt any of you would propose online (Who does that?!)

ReputationRep:
    It does give them time to think it through. If someone says yes online i'm willing to bet their heart is more into it than a chance encounter when they were in a good mood.

ReputationRep:
    I asked a girl to be my girlfriend and proposed to her later on as well; both over Facebook! There's nothing wrong with that!

Spoiler:
    Show
    She said no both times, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    I asked a girl to be my girlfriend and proposed to her later on as well; both over Facebook! There's nothing wrong with that!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's what I like to hear! I have no idea why a female would say yes do something important like that that wasn't asked in person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by MLPforever)
    That's what I like to hear! I have no idea why a female would say yes do something important like that that wasn't asked in person!
    I found my wife through TSR, so feck u m7! i hope the dankmemes gods deliver fine retribution upon ur noob butt.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    By asking someone out IRL, it gets kinda awkward. Especially when they say they don't know or say no.

I've also been in the situation for various reasons, where I've had no choice (or the other person) but to say something important via text, email or FB. We've then discussed it properly when we've had a chance to meet up.

ReputationRep:
    What's even odder is asking someone to be your boyfriend/girlfriend in the first place. Are you in primary school? Who in this day and age asks someone they're dating to be their boyfriend or girlfriend? When you've been going on dates with someone, you don't "ask", you just establish that you're exclusive and that's usually not even a discussion that needs to be had.

Either way, everyone's different. Personally, I prefer to talk to people in person, but some people aren't confident or good at expressing themselves face-to-face so it might be easier for them to be honest and forthcoming over text or online messaging when they can take their time to write out their feelings without pressure. A person's thoughts or feelings don't suddenly lose validity just because they're written down as opposed to being said face to face.

That said, proposing to someone online would be a little ****ing retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insert-username)
    What's even odder is asking someone to be your boyfriend/girlfriend in the first place. Are you in primary school? Who in this day and age asks someone they're dating to be their boyfriend or girlfriend? When you've been going on dates with someone, you don't "ask", you just establish that you're exclusive and that's usually not even a discussion that needs to be had.

Either way, everyone's different. Personally, I prefer to talk to people in person, but some people aren't confident or good at expressing themselves face-to-face so it might be easier for them to be honest and forthcoming over text or online messaging when they can take their time to write out their feelings without pressure. A person's thoughts or feelings don't suddenly lose validity just because they're written down as opposed to being said face to face.

That said, proposing to someone online would be a little ****ing retarded.
    No, I'm 22. Isn't that what people do anyway? They ask someone to be their boyfriend/girlfriend. If I didn't ask that question things wouldn't feel right to me. It wouldn't feel official. I don't believe in going on dates anyway, that doesn't feel right.

ReputationRep:
    IRL there is a greater chance people say things "in the moment", and the person who it is said to has less chance to think about their response as they have to respond instantly, increasing the likelihood of a rushed response that they may later regret.

Therefore not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLPforever)
    No, I'm 22. Isn't that what people do anyway? They ask someone to be their boyfriend/girlfriend. If I didn't ask that question things wouldn't feel right to me. It wouldn't feel official. I don't believe in going on dates anyway, that doesn't feel right.
    Not really. I dont know anyone who does that. I guess it depends on the individual and what you both prefer. It makes sense to want clarify your relationship status with someone, but actually asking that person to be your "boyfriend/girlfriend" just seems cheesy and a primary school-ish. I think what's actually more common nowadays is people asking when they should change their facebook relationship status, it's an indirect way of establishing that you're an 'official couple'.
    Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    I think personally that doing it over social media or messages, weakens the effect. But not everyone feels able to express themselves face to face so I suppose it's perceived as an only option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it I can't remember the last time someone's told me they like me in person 😏

ReputationRep:
    I do agree, I wish more people would talk face to face about many things and not hide behind a screen to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I do agree, I wish more people would talk face to face about many things and not hide behind a screen to do it.
    Same 😊😊

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.