Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck in this situation.
    I got an conditional offer at a top school called King Solomon Academy ( number 1 comprehensive school) to study Maths, Geography and Economics. At my current school i got offered Maths, Computing and Physics(Going to change to Physics from Chemistry) keeping in mind it's an average school.
    I really want to study Computer Science at a Russel group university so what school should i choose?
    Thanks a lot, this is a life changing decision

ReputationRep:
    Can you not change one subject from Solomons to computer science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-rated)
    Can you not change one subject from Solomons to computer science?
    No because they don't offer computing

ReputationRep:
    If you 100% want to do computer science at university then the choice is obvious, you need to go to your current school. Unis tend to favour higher grades rather than higher up schools, if you're not 100% sure about computer science then you need to mull over it a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    If you 100% want to do computer science at university then the choice is obvious, you need to go to your current school. Unis tend to favour higher grades rather than higher up schools, if you're not 100% sure about computer science then you need to mull over it a lot more.
    I believe i will get better grades there than my current school

ReputationRep:
    The solomon one will get you better grades but if it doesn't let you do the course that you need to get into computer science then there's no point in going to it

ReputationRep:
    The solomon one will get you better grades but if it doesn't let you do the course that you need to get into computer science then there's no point in going to it
    You only need Maths, thats the only essential subject

ReputationRep:
    I think you should stay at your sixth form because even though CS isn't compulsory for the degree, I imagine it would be really useful to have.
    Why are you changing physics to chemistry? Physics seems to fit much better with computing etc

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like having computing would help your application to a russell group uni, if I was making the choice, for me personally I would stick to the school that I've been at already. It's a much easier route to take and the solomon school would probably push you pretty hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    I think you should stay at your sixth form because even though CS isn't compulsory for the degree, I imagine it would be really useful to have.
    Why are you changing physics to chemistry? Physics seems to fit much better with computing etc
    I meant chemistry to physics
    But people say computer science is very math based therefore studying computing is not compulsory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adnanuddin233)
    I'm stuck in this situation.
    I got an conditional offer at a top school called King Solomon Academy ( number 1 comprehensive school) to study Maths, Geography and Economics. At my current school i got offered Maths, Computing and Physics(Going to change to Physics from Chemistry) keeping in mind it's an average school.
    I really want to study Computer Science at a Russel group university so what school should i choose?
    Thanks a lot, this is a life changing decision
    HAHAHA! King Solomon is not a top school! What school you in now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    HAHAHA! King Solomon is not a top school! What school you in now?
    WOW! really they lied
    Im currently attending Haverstock School

ReputationRep:
    WOW! really they lied
    What school offers did you get?
    Where is Haverstock, as in what Area!
    King Solomon is in Redbridge!
    Try Seven Kings High School, Chadwell Heath Academy, Beal High School and Valentines....

ReputationRep:
    I meant chemistry to physics
    But people say computer science is very math based therefore studying computing is not compulsory
    Oh yeah sorry - read that wrong
    True, the top unis say further maths is 'preferable'. Have you thought about taking fm?

ReputationRep:
    What school offers did you get?
    Where is Haverstock, as in what Area!
    King Solomon is in Redbridge!
    Try Seven Kings High School, Chadwell Heath Academy, Beal High School and Valentines....
    I live in Camden
    King Solomon Academy is located in central London in Marlyebone

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your sixth form choice will affect your chances of going to a prestigious university too much, I have some friends that went to pretty average sixth forms and have managed to go to universities in the top ten ranking on the league tables. I currently go to 'apparently' one of the best sixth forms in my area and self described as one of the top performing colleges in the country, with shining reviews and an 'outstanding' ofsted report but I can't say it's all that great from a student's point of view, prestige isn't everything, so I'd stick with your current one, as it seems to offer the more relevant courses and I'm assuming it's more familiar to you and probably more local?

ReputationRep:
    WOW! really they lied
    If you live near North West london, its not worth coming all the way down here to go to King Solomon... Trust Me! I have 2 people who to Sixth Form there and 4-6 people in Secondary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Oh yeah sorry - read that wrong
    True, the top unis say further maths is 'preferable'. Have you thought about taking fm?
    FM is toooooo much

ReputationRep:
    If you live near North West london, its not worth coming all the way down here to go to King Solomon... Trust Me! I have 2 people who to Sixth Form there and 4-6 people in Secondary
    Its not that far from my house and i thought its a good school
    93% A*-C GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I live in Camden
    King Solomon Academy is located in central London in Marlyebone
    OH!!! RIght thats a different King Solomon. I thought your talking about King Solomon High School... Not Academy. Well that changes things.

If you think that you will do well in your school, because you know teachers, have good friends and won't get annoyed because of loneliness.
    Then stay there. If you can't adapt to change fast no point moving...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.