NUS says gay men not oppressed enough to deserve representation Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/22...ce-oppression/

The National Union of Students’ LGBT Campaign has passed a motion calling for the abolition of representatives for gay men – because they “don’t face oppression” in the LGBT community.

The NUS LGBT+ Campaign discussed the issue at its annual conference, which took place in Sheffield this week.At the event, delegates passed a motion that blames “cis gay men” for “misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia”.It says: “Misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia are often present in LGBT+ societies. This is unfortunately more likely to occur when the society is dominated by white cis gay men.”The motion continues to call on LGBT societies at universities – many of whom have dedicated reps for lesbians, trans people, bi people and gay men – to abolish the role for gay men.It continues: “The reps system exists to ensure that societies committees can always have a reserved place for groups which disproportionately face oppression within the LGBT+ community.“Gay men do not face oppression as gay men within the LGBT+ community and do not need a reserved place on society committees.”It goes on to “encourage LGBT+ Societies that have a gay men’s rep to drop the position”.

The motion was passed – despite other resolutions at the same conference highlighting that men who have sex with men are disproportionately at risk of HIV, and disproportionately at risk of violence.The NUS has recently been drawn into a row with gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, who helped organise a rally outside NUS HQ last week to protest their ‘No Platform’ policy. The NUS denies no-platforming Mr Tatchell.
Bonkers.
Legendary Quest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What did I just read?
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/22/lg...p-says-gay-men
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
interesting reaction to the drop the T types, especially as it;s usually deep down second wave feminist think they are lesbians who are the most trans and/or bi phobic ...
Vennec
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At the event, delegates passed a motion that blames “cis gay men” for “misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia”

Greattt... I'd love to hear their reasoning for this one. Have to admit I'm getting pretty damn tired of all the white-cis-bashing going on pretty much everywhere at the moment.
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  1797580_855231511252729_3567990880546124505_n.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  54.7 KB

And in the same meeting, they yet again decided no-platforming according to their 'moral' opinion is good and "not censorship", acknowledging "academic debate" is not a priority, and they'd help.

Funny to see them fighting amongst themselves, I hope that waste of time, money and sanity implodes forever. Disgraceful organisation.
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I feel like it is a competition nowadays to try and make yourself out to be the most oppressed person. They don't know what anybodies person life is like, so how can they make such judgements as to who is more oppressed or not. Plus really, if you are an oppressed minority, what you need more than anything is as much support as possible. Alienating others is not the way forward.
Native€uropean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can only think of one group oppressed today in Britain...
THE EPIC Panda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep. This is the NUS today. I hope the union falls and I never have to be associated with them again.

This Telegraph piece sums up my problems http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...for-ourselves/
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Native€uropean)
I can only think of one group oppressed today in Britain...
Young white males. Especially if from the lower classes.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by THE EPIC Panda)
Yep. This is the NUS today. I hope the union falls and I never have to be associated with them again.

This Telegraph piece sums up my problems http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...for-ourselves/
The NUS has always been ran by self-serving lunatics. It's never done a thing to represent 90% of the student population.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So we will say LBTIAVTQI++ now (instead of LGBTIAVTQI++)?
Josb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, can anybody explain to me what "cis" means in that context? I'm lost.
THE EPIC Panda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
Also, can anybody explain to me what "cis" means in that context? I'm lost.
It means you identify as the sex you were born as.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by THE EPIC Panda)
It means you identify as the sex you were born as.
You mean your gender identifies with the sex you were born as
Josb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
You mean your gender identifies with the sex you were born as
I'm lost again.
KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I used to have to sit in NUS meetings as I was a rep for my sports club. Biggest bunch of mongs I'd ever encountered in my life.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
The NUS has always been ran by self-serving lunatics. It's never done a thing to represent 90% of the student population.
Only 90%, pretty sure less than 10% are part of the NUS machinery

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
I'm lost again.
It means you're not transsexual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Josb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It means you're not transsexual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it necessary to highlight this considering that 99.7% people are not transsexual?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
71.43%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
17.14%
Yes but I might change my mind (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed