Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    biology, chemistry, maths and RS to get into medicine

ReputationRep:
    When did I get so old?

ReputationRep:
    Taking History, Law, Economics and maybe RS. Want to be a lawyer in the future or a football manager- a long stretch I know:crown:

ReputationRep:
    economics, sociology, history and possibly biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because i'm insane:

Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHominem)
    Maths, chemistry, biology and I'm planning on taking a fourth - between: geography, computer science and physics. If anyone has any advice then that'd be much appreciated.
    With relation to those subjects, Physics is the only respected one. I take CS but the Unis aren't that interested, even for a CS degree, so unless you specifically want to go into computing then don't bother.

I know someone with Maths, Chem, Bio and Phys going to Cambridge for NatSci this year. That's a good combo if you definitely want to go into science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    With relation to those subjects, Physics is the only respected one. I take CS but the Unis aren't that interested, even for a CS degree, so unless you specifically want to go into computing then don't bother.

I know someone with Maths, Chem, Bio and Phys going to Cambridge for NatSci this year. That's a good combo if you definitely want to go into science.
    As a disclaimer, I'm interested in studying medicine.

Apparently, doing a different subject helps to make your application stronger to some universities (such as UCL). This is why I'm considering CS and geography. What are your thoughts on this?

:woo:
    Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics

ReputationRep:
    math bio and chem
    did phys as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zarrii)
    Biology, chemistry, physics and psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing the same subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHominem)
    As a disclaimer, I'm interested in studying medicine.

Apparently, doing a different subject helps to make your application stronger to some universities (such as UCL). This is why I'm considering CS and geography. What are your thoughts on this?
    I haven't heard of anything like that. Entry to the top universities like UCL is purely academic. Physics would certainly put you in the best steed, and then you would have the most relevant subjects possible, I wouldn't recommend a change to your list at-all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 246813579)
    all 3 sciences lord help you!
    honestly its not that bad

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to study Law at uni, doing History, Lit, Politics, and BTEC Applied Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazz_xox_)
    biology, chemistry, maths and RS to get into medicine
    Exactly the same as me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    I haven't heard of anything like that. Entry to the top universities like UCL is purely academic. Physics would certainly put you in the best steed, and then you would have the most relevant subjects possible, I wouldn't recommend a change to your list at-all.
    False.

Entry to UCL is not purely academic - for medicine, anyway.

There are no "top" universities for medicine, either. All are well respected and have to maintain the rigorous standards implemented by the GMC.

Physics would not "put you in the best steed" as, was quite rightly stated, UCL prefer a contrasting subject. This is also the case for other medical schools (regarding physics) in that physics is not preferred and is viewed in the same light as many other subjects, assuming you have satisfied the entry requirements (usually chem and bio).

I recommend that you choose whatever you enjoy and would do well in. The subject you choose does not matter as long as you have chemistry and biology, which would make you eligible for almost all medical schools (one college at Cambridge states that maths is necessary, however).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleggj88)
    honestly its not that bad
    lol ur probably like bareeee smart then cause thats the first time I've heard someone say doing all 3 sciences isn't that bad

ReputationRep:
    Am i like the only one thats not doing any sciences or maths at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francis27)
    False.

Entry to UCL is not purely academic - for medicine, anyway.

There are no "top" universities for medicine, either. All are well respected and have to maintain the rigorous standards implemented by the GMC.

Physics would not "put you in the best steed" as, was quite rightly stated, UCL prefer a contrasting subject. This is also the case for other medical schools (regarding physics) in that physics is not preferred and is viewed in the same light as many other subjects, assuming you have satisfied the entry requirements (usually chem and bio).

I recommend that you choose whatever you enjoy and would do well in. The subject you choose does not matter as long as you have chemistry and biology, which would make you eligible for almost all medical schools (one college at Cambridge states that maths is necessary, however).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are quite right that medical schools are held to the same standards, but you may notice that my context was "top universities".

I was unaware that UCL give preference to contrasting subjects, so I thank you for correcting me. This doesn't seem usual across other universities for medicine however, so unless one is aiming for UCL entry in particular, I would still question the practice of taking an unrelated A-Level, especially a humanity such as Geography. Physics may not be as essential as Chem and Bio, but it's far more respected than CS, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyPlatypus)
    Psychology, Sociology and Government and Politics (I dropped philosophy) And I'm hoping to study psychology at uni this September
    literally my subjects I'm starting next year! how do you find them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eviebrizzle)
    literally my subjects I'm starting next year! how do you find them?
    I'm really enjoying them! Psychology is my favourite as it is the most interesting to me, sociology is good as it covers a wide range of things but it can get a bit tedious with all the research you have to remember. Then Politics is okay, I hated AS as it was so boring and I just hated my class and I was convinced I would drop it, but I ended up with an A so I thought I must be okay at it so I continued it and A2 is so much better/interesting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.