Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    You are quite right that medical schools are held to the same standards, but you may notice that my context was "top universities".

I was unaware that UCL give preference to contrasting subjects, so I thank you for correcting me. This doesn't seem usual across other universities for medicine however, so unless one is aiming for UCL entry in particular, I would still question the practice of taking an unrelated A-Level, especially a humanity such as Geography. Physics may not be as essential as Chem and Bio, but it's far more respected than CS, for example.
    AdHominem wants to apply to medicine - so, as I said - whether a university is a "top" one or not is completely irrelevant. A med graduate from, say, Hull-York, is just as employable as an Oxford graduate and can enjoy exactly the same prospects when applying for foundation training. Therefore, a "top" university for medicine does not exist. For other subjects, yes. But medicine is different. It should be treated as such.

Why question the "practice"? If the entry requirements are satisfied (usually chem and bio) then the third - or fourth - a-level is not of a huge significance. If AdHominem wants to do geo or CS then they can. It would not be a problem for med schools, nor would it hinder them from getting into a "top university".

Please do not spread false information regarding medicine admissions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Art, History, English, Gov Pol

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, Physics.

Quite excited about them. It was hard to let go of History, English Lit and French but I think it also makes sense to study the more maths and lab heavy subjects formally. It also gives me ample reason to go abroad this summer and next before university. Certainly I won't achieve fluency through that alone but my bus journey is going to be approx 35 minutes each way to and from college which means I can practice on duolingo frequently. Perhaps I'll start on Spanish. Always like latin girls

ReputationRep:
    Eng Lit
    History
    Geology :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francis27)
    AdHominem wants to apply to medicine - so, as I said - whether a university is a "top" one or not is completely irrelevant. A med graduate from, say, Hull-York, is just as employable as an Oxford graduate and can enjoy exactly the same prospects when applying for foundation training. Therefore, a "top" university for medicine does not exist. For other subjects, yes. But medicine is different. It should be treated as such.

Why question the "practice"? If the entry requirements are satisfied (usually chem and bio) then the third - or fourth - a-level is not of a huge significance. If AdHominem wants to do geo or CS then they can. It would not be a problem for med schools, nor would it hinder them from getting into a "top university".

Please do not spread false information regarding medicine admissions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, that is essentially what you said the first time, and I agreed with you. I'm confused why you felt the need to re-assert yourself.

However, I strongly disagree with your idea that the fourth subject is not of huge significance when applying to top universities, and your opinion is massively against the accepted notions.
    There is a massive difference between an A*A*A and an A*A*AA student. The fourth subject will be taken into consideration by Oxbridge and other top universities when comparing similarly achieving candidates. The vast majority of accepted Oxbridge applicants took 4 subjects at-least to AS level, and a large proportion have 4 A-Levels.
    Therefore, a science candidate taking English Lit, for example, as a fourth A-Level would be extremely disadvantaged where the majority of the competition would have studied 4 relevant maths and laboratory based subjects. In comparison with his peers of similar achievement, s/he would lose out every time.

ReputationRep:
    You all are taking 3/4 subjects ; We cannot take more than 4 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SafwanIdris)
    You all are taking 3/4 subjects ; We cannot take more than 4 ?
    You can, but you run a few risks:
    - Overloading, spreading thin, and risking lowering each grade, meaning an inability to meet grade requirements for the most competitive courses
    - Getting bogged down in work, unable to enjoy that period of your life. It's two whole years.
    - Losing interest for a subject after having studied it formally (crap curriculum, exam pressures, bad teacher, etc.)
    - The possibility of getting an offer based on more than 3 A Levels - some Universities will give you A*A*AA if you offer 4, for instance. Ouch.

It just makes sense to be examined in the required amount (4ASs and 3A2s) and if you're really interested in a subject then study it in your spare time.

ReputationRep:
    I was unaware that UCL give preference to contrasting subjects, so I thank you for correcting me. This doesn't seem usual across other universities for medicine however, so unless one is aiming for UCL entry in particular, I would still question the practice of taking an unrelated A-Level, especially a humanity such as Geography. Physics may not be as essential as Chem and Bio, but it's far more respected than CS, for example.
    Please can you link where a med school says this please. Any med school except Cambridge will do. Ty.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is essentially what you said the first time, and I agreed with you. I'm confused why you felt the need to re-assert yourself.

However, I strongly disagree with your idea that the fourth subject is not of huge significance when applying to top universities, and your opinion is massively against the accepted notions.
    There is a massive difference between an A*A*A and an A*A*AA student. The fourth subject will be taken into consideration by Oxbridge and other top universities when comparing similarly achieving candidates. The vast majority of accepted Oxbridge applicants took 4 subjects at-least to AS level, and a large proportion have 4 A-Levels.
    Therefore, a science candidate taking English Lit, for example, as a fourth A-Level would be extremely disadvantaged where the majority of the competition would have studied 4 relevant maths and laboratory based subjects. In comparison with his peers of similar achievement, s/he would lose out every time.
    I have no idea why you're talking about taking a fourth a-level, since I made no comment about whether or not a fourth should be taken. And when I was talking about the 3rd/4th a-level not being highly significant, I was referring to the subject taken and not the grade. I apologise for not making that clear and I agree with the comment you made about it being taken into consideration by unis and the comment about the difference between A*A*A and A*A*AA students. Despite this, a fourth a level is, undoubtedly, of less significance than the main three because universities only require three a levels completed to A2 and tend to give offers based off of three.

However, I strongly disagree with the entirety of the last paragraph. It is purely conjecture and is false. 4 sciences are not preferred over 3 sciences and a humanity - not in the slightest. If anything, taking a humanity shows that you can write essays and use skills that you would not otherwise use in science subjects.

I will reiterate what I said in my earlier posts: as long as the entry requirements are satisfied (usually chem and bio), the subject choices of the 3rd/4th a level are not extremely important. Only a single Cambridge college requires maths. A student doing a humanity, on top of sciences, is at no disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Please can you link where a med school says this please. Any med school except Cambridge will do. Ty.
    That so many offer candidates the opportunity to study Chemistry and 'another science' is pretty telling. It implies physics maths and biology are preferred, does it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathstatician)
    That so many offer candidates the opportunity to study Chemistry and 'another science' is pretty telling. It implies physics maths and biology are preferred, does it not?
    I'm not aware of any that state even a slight preference for 'another two sciences'. I await your source.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing maths, geography and sociology i know its quite a random mix haha
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    English Lit, French, History and Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    History, Eng Lit, Psychology and either Classics or Politics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.