Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well basically I am hoping to apply to medical school and am planning to take the UKCAT at the end of the summer holidays. I have now looked at some questions and am basically pooing myself with the lack of time!! :eek: So me and my mum have agreed to do some courses and buy some books.

So, can I ask you guys what are the best courses for preparing for the UKCAT? The Medic Portal and KAPLAN ones sound best - but I'm new to all this so you'd know a lot more than me!

Also what books should I get? There's quite a lot to choose from, should I just get as many as possible?

And one more thing, I have quite bad anxiety, for those who have done the UKCAT, how do you manage reading those long passages with so little time without panicking?

Thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Kaplan red book is quite good. It has really good tips and 2 practice tests with my average score in the diagnostic test being quite close to my actual result.
    In terms of VR passages the most helpful thing to do is read the question and then skim the passage that way you aren't actually reading the passage but skimming.
    I hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funky386)
    Hi, well basically I am hoping to apply to medical school and am planning to take the UKCAT at the end of the summer holidays. I have now looked at some questions and am basically pooing myself with the lack of time!! :eek: So me and my mum have agreed to do some courses and buy some books.

So, can I ask you guys what are the best courses for preparing for the UKCAT? The Medic Portal and KAPLAN ones sound best - but I'm new to all this so you'd know a lot more than me!

Also what books should I get? There's quite a lot to choose from, should I just get as many as possible?

And one more thing, I have quite bad anxiety, for those who have done the UKCAT, how do you manage reading those long passages with so little time without panicking?

The long passages are the first section, so you'll probably be nervous when reading them. I would seriously focus on practicing finding keywords from scanning the questions quickly, as it is easy to go over the time limit on this one.
    Tbh it doesnt matter what material you use to revise, just as long as you can do practice questions. I used 1000 ukcat questions book and eventually did a paper online and this worked for me, but may not work for you.
    Good luck!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:

Ooooh! Our ears are burning

We think our UKCAT Courses are great, but you can decide for yourself if it's right for you! Why not have a read of our testimonials page?

Regarding general UKCAT preparation, don't worry about 'pooing yourself' over it . Many applicants get very stressed about it, so you're not the only one.

The UKCAT exam is sat by applicants from the 1st July 2016, and testing closes on the 21st September. This means you have looooooooaaaads of time to practice.

There are great resources available on the UKCAT site. Click on the preparation tab on that site, and have a thorough read of all the info, watch/listen to all the tutorials - you can never be too prepared!

Also, they have UKCAT practice tests in the Candidate Preparation Toolkit.

This page on The Student Room also has lots of advice on the UKCAT, including resources to use to help you practice!

Plus, we've got a UKCAT Question Bank packed with over 2000 practice questions, and it's free to sign up and access the first 50.

We would recommend that you don't go all-out now though. You don't want to get too exhausted. Why don't you try an hour or two a week going through the format of the test, maybe doing a couple of questions from every section. This will help to get your brain in gear, and your mind acclimatised to the layout of the exam.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

p.s. According to the UKCAT site, you won't be marked on your performance in the new Decision Making section!

ReputationRep:

Having a variety of resources is good but don't go too overboard. Don't be too nervous; talking from experience you've got plenty of time to prepare. I would definitely recommend the 600 Q book, red Kaplan UKCAT practise book and medify

ReputationRep:
    First of all everyone panics with it. What I initially did was use one of the UKCAT mocks on the actual website, but did the untimed versions (I timed myself on my phone alongside) and marked down how many of the questions I had done in the time frame I would have had after I completed the lot. This gave me an idea of how badly I needed to work and in which areas. Courses are useful for some but not for others. I personally found the books most helpful but I know Kaplan one was most popular.

Second I would advise sitting the test earlier in the summer. Not only is this cheaper, but UKCAT say those who sit it earlier tend to do better. When I compared how my friends did, the further into the summer, the general trend was worse. Not sure why that happens, maybe you have more time to over think it. I did mine in the first 2 weeks of July and got 725 average so not bad.

I used the Kaplan 1000 questions book, which was really good for getting into the rhythm of how to do it. It was slightly easier I felt so then I moved onto the ICS medical 600Q book. They have a new version published this year which has more than 1000Q and will be far more up to date than the previous book. This book is harder and probably slightly harder than the real thing so was good as it gave you the chance to do challenging questions in the same time frame. Both old and new versions of these books are good to practice with.
    The last book I did was the UKCAT for Dummies. While an ok practice book, it is a bit less helpful but a good chance for extra questions.

Finally the only other thing I invested in was the medify site, medify.com. This is a really useful resource as it has the same keyboard shortcuts as the UKCAT itself so can familiarise yourself with them. I only invested in 2 weeks of this towards the end as it is quite expensive but with practice it helps you to analyse your worst areas and has mock exams.

When I had used these resources a couple of times, I went back to the UKCAT mock site and did their practice tests a few times. It is important to not use the same resources too much or you start to know the answers. Generally speaking I tended to do a mock or two and then left the rest of them until I was done practicing each area.

Situational judgement is being used more often but still doesn't count at all schools. I would advise reading Tomorrows Doctors (published by GMC and findable online) and a small book called Medical Ethics which you can find on Amazon. I didn't do great in this area probably because I was fed up of the test, but it is basically choose what you should do not what you would do.

I prepared for about 4-6 weeks, but only an hour or two per day or you really wipe yourself out and wreck the resources in about 3 weeks. I also did not practice on the days I did mocks for the same reason. Just used the scores from the mocks to roughly figure out where I needed help. I also made up a wee cheat sheet of things to help me (information you can find in all the books and across the internet) and read that before every mock and the real thing. Just simple things like what is the area of a circle or how to do percentages. Simple things you can forget under pressure.

Lastly remember that mock scores in the books are very subjective and don't necessarily reflect what you get on the day. I was consistently getting around 650 in the mocks and then had 725, but for others the situation was reversed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I sat my UKCAT last year! I got a score of 685 average which wasn't that bad compared to the deciles.

I used Medify which was an absolute life saver in terms of revision and it's so much cheaper than courses!

Also the 100 question UKCAT book seemed to help at first and provides some useful strategies which you could try!

Just try not to worry as you will 100% improve. Just nail your AS exams first!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.