The Student Room Group

PRE RELEASE : Glastonbury Media Texts & Poems - Higher and Foundation- Official Topic

Hello

Just some help on the 2007 AQA English Land Spec B Pre Release:

My teacher has indicated what she thinks as HIGHER (H)and FOUNDATION (F)texts and poems however she cannot confirm to be 100% correct. I am doing foundation so this should help me.

Glastonbury Media Texts:

Are we having fun yet? - ? - She said for sheer length she thinks H however for understanding F so its a not sure on this one.

Festival hails the return of teenage kicks - F

Sunny end to a "damn good show" - F

Mudlarks of Glasto... - F

Salvation Army... (website) - H

All together now - F

So if we go by that then Are we having fun yet? might be a H text.
---------------------------------------------
As for poems

On the Highway - ?

To Another Housewife - H

After the deluge - ?

The Washerwoman - H

I too sing America - F

Wedding in the flood - F

Ballad of the totems - (i think i had F for this)

The beggar - H

If anyone begs to differ on any of these PLEASE post.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey. urm i'm doing this aswell... but i'm doing higher, i didnt know that Foundatien had the same pre-release.
i'll have a look around on some websites for you.
and if i find anything i'll tell you :]

xxx
Reply 2
OK thanks!
Reply 3
Ben,
Just to say this is from the AQA specification:

"While the reading and other stimulus materials provided in the form of the pre release booklet are common to both Tier F and Tier H papers in the terminal examination, tasks aredifferentiated to allow appropriate access to all assessment objectives for all candidates. "

This means that it isn't the texts that are specific to a certain tier (i.e. any text could come up on either tier) it is the question
Reply 4
My teacher said a similar thing, although I'm pretty certain she said the Salvation Army article would be foundation because it's quite short and mainly factual; Mudlarks of Glastonbury and so on are considerably more complex in terms of language features.

And although AQA claim that all of the texts could potentially come up, I do think that some of them are mainly for certain tiers- they just want to surprise us if you will. :p:
Reply 5
Yes nobody asked for a smart arse Michael lol

Ben
Reply 6
i am doing higher does anyone have notes on the pre relased texts........ my teacher is getting married and she did not help us make notes
Reply 7
Check your PM's. If anyone else want's them PM me with your email address and i'll send them
Reply 8
LOL! Oh michael and ben you make me laugh! Anyway I am having trouble with knowing the different audiences for the articles - I know I asked you earlier Michael but you were a bit vague on some and I wanted a second opinion. So if anybody can give me the readership categories like: young, working class, educated, average etc, I would be grateful.
Laura
Reply 9
Laura2712
LOL! Oh michael and ben you make me laugh! Anyway I am having trouble with knowing the different audiences for the articles - I know I asked you earlier Michael but you were a bit vague on some and I wanted a second opinion. So if anybody can give me the readership categories like: young, working class, educated, average etc, I would be grateful.
Laura

Oh I see, not good enough for you now am I? lol
Reply 10
im doing higher in this - was told by my teacher that 'all together now' would be higher? cant remember why but i think it was for the 'interesting language' bit of the question, not facts and opinions. and 'salvation army' for facts and opinions. i think. mainly cos its an article written by some salvation army guy wanting to promote his religion, as if you look the date of the article its like two months after glasto 05. you can actually find the article on the bbc website -do this its vay funny. you can hear adrian prior sankey (what a name) doing some sort of interview thing. also if you look at the printout in the pre released down the right hand side theres one link which has been clicked on - greeting cards or something. so whoever chose this article for the pre released was obv vay bored.... HA. this is what our english lessons have all been on... i think i may fail...
Reply 11
'all together now' - H now then ? lol

anymore for anymore

Ben
Reply 12
anymore thoughts people?
Reply 13
Well if your going by what you said at the beginning All together now would have to be higher because otherwise you only have 1 just higher tier on the whole list lol

Plus i've been talking to mrs stephens lol, who said that the salvation army website, isn't at all likely to come up, simply because its so simple and there really isn't anything to write about but on the off chance that it did, it would be on foundation, because it isnt full of stuff to say about, its very focused. She also thinks Mudlarks would come on higher or foundation (ie either lol) because its foundation because its easy to follow, but higher becuase it has the most complicated vocab and sentence structure of them all

Just passing on what she said, don't shoot me like u did last time ^^^ lol
Reply 14
no salvation army would be higher theres loads of biblical references in it - like 'river cascades' could be referring to when moses parted the red sea?? suggesting that these salvation army people can deal with a 'huge scale' flood such as this? its all played up to be more than it is and the whole article is just a way for the salvation army to get some press! thats just one view tho. theres no right answer!
Reply 15
Just thought I'd bump this up as it had moved it's way down to page 9 to see if anyone had any more tips. :smile:
Reply 16
Doing this exam tomorrow, good luck with it.

The Pre release boocklet contains both H tier and F tier passages. The main obvoius one being I to, Sing America
Reply 17
I too sing America - F right ... what are peoples thoughts on the poem tiers?
does anyone have any pre release notes on the poems?? our teacher had a baby and dint go through half of them if you do any om mesages would be greatfully recieved x
Some notes on the poems would be nice. I thought our media texts were quite nice this year - Glastonbury's a better topic then the two previous years anyway.

Latest