Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently have been kicked out of my sixth form, and was studying 3 btecs after dropping out of A levels. I was in year 13 (I'm 18), so I have left without any a level or btec qualifications. I also failed english gcse, what should I do? Is there anyway I can still be financially successful (60k+ minimum) & how do I go about it? I am interested in computing and electrical engineering.

I just need some advice.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justaguyontsr)
    I recently have been kicked out of my sixth form, and was studying 3 btecs after dropping out of A levels. I was in year 13 (I'm 18), so I have left without any a level or btec qualifications. I also failed english gcse, what should I do? Is there anyway I can still be financially successful (60k+ minimum) & how do I go about it? I am interested in computing and electrical engineering.

I just need some advice.

Thanks.
    Why were you kicked out?

ReputationRep:
    due to not so good attendance

ReputationRep:

I just need some advice.

Thanks.
    You can try do a Bill Gates! But i very much doubt its possible! TRY AND TRY!!! That's all I can say! Make something, invent something, do something!

ReputationRep:
    Well, life don't work like that...

If you don't put the effort in to actually study, you're never going to get to uni and you definitely wouldn't survive it. Which is kinda a cornerstone if you want a high-salary electronic engineering career.

It's still early days though. Have you looked into apprenticeship schemes?

ReputationRep:
    loool I'm not as smart as Bill Gates and I would do so if I could, but thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes, but you havent done yourself any favours. Hopefully iit didnt involve violence or dishonesty.

1. Youve made it unlikely you will get into Uni in the near future plus you have discipline problems. If you ever get to Uni then you cam try to do well and get a career, which ui cna build on.

2. You can go back to college and dp ypur exams but no idea if you wont get kicked out. maybe you can transfer some of your btec credits?

3. Try and get an apprenticeship, but your discipline and attitude might be a problem again. get the rght apprenticeship and you ould get decent training plys a modest salary.

4 You show some talent and start your own business.

Ring a careers adbiser or go and see on this week.
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc.../contact4.aspx

it could be a long time before you see 60k

ReputationRep:
    Yea I've looked at apprenticeships, but good ones require good grades

ReputationRep:
    999tigger I don't have 'discipline' problems. So many ignorant people like you nowadays smh

ReputationRep:

I just need some advice.

Thanks.
    Do you really need advice from strangers on the internet? Also do you really think anyone on TSR is gonna have a fail-proof method of getting you to a £60k/year job. At the end of the day if you really want to be successful your gonna have to push yourself to learn and make use of whatever it is you intend to make a business out of... you said Computing? It's not hard to learn.. pick a language (I recommend Java) then learn to master a platform (I recommend Android) and get involved in some big development, either open source projects or independent app ventures.

The world is your Oyster, if you don't have loads of money then go out and get some. The process aint gonna be made faster by moping and chatting on Forums.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    999tigger I don't have 'discipline' problems. So many ignorant people like you nowadays smh
    Getting expelled would count as a discipline problem for most unis and employers. You will need to decide how you are going to explain that when you are in interview.

ReputationRep:
    due to not so good attendance
    What's your opinion on the military?

ReputationRep:
    @JavaScriptMaster I suppose you're right. Yea I did want to start my own business but there are many factors to consider, but I will pursue it when I am financially stable & as for learning computer languages, I learned the foundation of html and css, and started learning js but shortly stopped. I'd love to be able to code for android devices and one day for ios. Im guessing by your name you know how to code in javascript? and if so, would you mind how you went about it, where you learned it and how long did it take you to get a good foundation in it.
    Thanks

@jenigma I'd never join the military

ReputationRep:
    @JavaScriptMaster I suppose you're right. Yea I did want to start my own business but there are many factors to consider, but I will pursue it when I am financially stable & as for learning computer languages, I learned the foundation of html and css, and started learning js but shortly stopped. I'd love to be able to code for android devices and one day for ios. Im guessing by your name you know how to code in javascript? and if so, would you mind how you went about it, where you learned it and how long did it take you to get a good foundation in it.
    Thanks

@jenigma I'd never join the military
    Well then. That's me out of ideas :lol:

I would advise you to resit English GCSE though as most employers look for good grades at at least GCSE level.

ReputationRep:
    @jenigma Well thank you anyways & I think I will resit it, despite having a hatred towards it -_-

ReputationRep:
    @jenigma Well thank you anyways & I think I will resit it, despite having a hatred towards it -_-
    Good luck buddy, hope you do a Bill Gates.

ReputationRep:
    @jenigma :lol: That's not happening, I have more chance in winning the lottery xD

ReputationRep:
    How are your savings? I provide an excellent instant noodle budgeting service

I just need some advice.

Thanks.
    Time to find a sugar daddy/mummy or enter the lottery...

ReputationRep:
    @Platopus :lol:
    p.s. I'm straight

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.