Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parliamentary Recess Watch

• View Poll Results: Please vote on your preferred option.
    A
    10.00%
    B
    50.00%
    C
    40.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Please vote to determine a course of action for times between now and the General Election when myself and toronto353 are unavailable to conduct proceedings.

Option A: No updates/new bill submissions on those dates (at most 1 week) - a brief recess.
    Option B: Empower the Sarjeant at Arms (The Financier) to conduct House business (with certain limitations) temporarily.
    Option C: Elect a second Deputy Speaker to conduct House business during this time.

If Option A or B wins I will withdraw A135, if Option C wins I will begin an election process for second Deputy Speaker.

Best wishes,

Ray
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    B, The Financier is a very capable pair of hands.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    When is this week?

ReputationRep:
    A 2nd deputy speaker could prove useful in the future; with plenty of work to be done etc!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    When is this week?
    Don't quote me on this but I think it was from 4th April (sent a message to confirm with toronto).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Don't quote me on this but I think it was from 4th April (sent a message to confirm with toronto).
    So this is something we would have to work on quite quickly, getting preparations ready!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Week beginning 4th April definitely (I'll still be around, but not to cover updates since I'm preparing for a conference paper - I will be back 11th April) and possibly part of the 2nd week in May (again depending on conference abstracts etc.).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    RayApparently Please change my vote to option C.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I went for B but I honestly am not bothered between B and C.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    RayApparently Please change my vote to option C.
    I have subtracted 1 vote for B and added 1 to C.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    So this is something we would have to work on quite quickly, getting preparations ready!
    Yep.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd much prefer we had an early election but B.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    B - this is the first time this has happened since I've been here (iirc), and doesn't seem to happen to often, unless our current Speaker intends on not doing lots of updates...(?), and so on this occasion, I think B is the best option.

In any case, in short term, a second Deputy Speaker would need CT approval for CA powers (in terms of opening/closing threads) if anything, and posting in the locked threads. Might as well just ask the S-at-A to do that...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    B - this is the first time this has happened since I've been here (iirc), and doesn't seem to happen to often, unless our current Speaker intends on not doing lots of updates...(?), and so on this occasion, I think B is the best option.

In any case, in short term, a second Deputy Speaker would need CT approval for CA powers (in terms of opening/closing threads) if anything, and posting in the locked threads. Might as well just ask the S-at-A to do that...
    I can assure you that from mid-May onwards (Summer :dance:) I will be spending an obscene amount of time here (as if I don't already ).

ReputationRep:
    RayApparently is this likely to be a one off event of absence from yourself , or are you aware of any reason you would be away again in the future? [Even if Toronto is still here, just wondering for future provisions etc]
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I can assure you that from mid-May onwards (Summer :dance:) I will be spending an obscene amount of time here (as if I don't already ).
    In which case, for this 'one-off' occurrence, seems like a lot of effort and unnecessary work electing a second Deputy Speaker, the CT allowing this, and then the CT sorting out permissions, for something which can be done already by our very lovely S-at-A...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    RayApparently is this likely to be a one off event of absence from yourself , or are you aware of any reason you would be away again in the future? [Even if Toronto is still here, just wondering for future provisions etc]
    Well I might go on holiday abroad at some point in the Summer. Though I tend to take the 'ol laptop my internet connection could be unreliable. Don't know if that will clash with toronto's schedule.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well I might go on holiday abroad at some point in the Summer. Though I tend to take the 'ol laptop my internet connection could be unreliable. Don't know if that will clash with toronto's schedule.
    It'll depend when you're planning on going - we'll cross check our diaries
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    It'll depend when you're planning on going - we'll cross check our diaries
    And synchronise watches!

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker does deserve a rest!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.