Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parliamentary Recess watch

• View Poll Results: Please vote on your preferred option.
    A
    10.00%
    B
    50.00%
    C
    40.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Mr Speaker does deserve a rest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)

The concentration on that face

ReputationRep:
    I believe this poll should essentially consist of two polls: 1) whether the House should take a recess or not, and 2) which alternative option should be used.

However, I don't see the problem with a second deputy speaker (probably won't be used often but I see literally no downside).

ReputationRep:
    so when is the general election taking place..?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cBay)
    so when is the general election taking place..?
    Publicly tba, but check the government chat thread.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by adam9317)
    The concentration on that face
    Bercow never cowers. Bercow always focused.

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    However, I don't see the problem with a second deputy speaker (probably won't be used often but I see literally no downside).
    Nor do I tbh.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Poll is closer than I thought it'd be.

ReputationRep:
    I urge everyone to choose B since it's the most reasonable proposition, but it's not like I give a ****, after all…

ReputationRep:
    Poll is closer than I thought it'd be.
    Very close Mr Speaker!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have had a change of heart. Ray - please can you change my vote from B to C?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I have had a change of heart. Ray - please can you change my vote from B to C?
    No problem. I've removed one B vote and added one C vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No problem. I've removed one B vote and added one C vote.
    Thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I believe this poll should essentially consist of two polls: 1) whether the House should take a recess or not, and 2) which alternative option should be used.

I see no problem with B, since it requires no wlections nor appointment of power, so doesn't waste our time with dealing with a non position anddoesn't waste the CT's either, they're slow enough already

ReputationRep:
    Come on, people, stop thinking about the potential of having a new shiny position with hardly an work and support option B to close this non-isuse.

It's just for a week and for the first time in years, so the need shouldn't come up any time soon (otherwise we should in fact be replacing the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker because none of their predecessors needed any of this).

adam9317 Airmed balanced DMcGovern EricAteYou hazzer1998 Kay_Winters nebelbon Peroxidation PetrosAC TheDefiniteArticle tyroncs Unown Uzer Wellzi

If you refuse to go with B, why is that?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Come on, people, stop thinking about the potential of having a new shiny position with hardly an work and support option B to close this non-isuse.

It's just for a week and for the first time in years, so the need shouldn't come up any time soon (otherwise we should in fact be replacing the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker because none of their predecessors needed any of this).

adam9317 Airmed balanced DMcGovern EricAteYou hazzer1998 Kay_Winters nebelbon Peroxidation PetrosAC TheDefiniteArticle tyroncs Unown Uzer Wellzi

I'm perfectly content with either to be honest. I think that by having two deputy speakers, work can be spread out more (with things like voting records and discarding invalid votes during elections)

C is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'm perfectly content with either to be honest. I think that by having two deputy speakers, work can be spread out more (with things like voting records and discarding invalid votes during elections)
    Maybe it's just me but I think the Speakership should be inherently coupled with non-trivial workload and administrative responsibility to prevent it from becoming a position of status with diluted duties that could attract people who only want the executive power and occasional recognition. In other words, all that tedious work ensures that one has to be very motivated and dedicated to even stand, let alone do a good job for more than a month.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Maybe it's just me but I think the Speakership should be inherently coupled with non-trivial workload and administrative responsibility to prevent it from becoming a position of status with diluted duties that could attract people who only want the executive power and occasional recognition. In other words, all that tedious work ensures that one has to be very motivated and dedicated to even stand, let alone do a good job for more than a month.
    I can see your point, but I don't see anything wrong with having two deputy speakers so tasks can be delegated more.

As I've said though, I'm not overly fussed whether it's B or C as I know TF can easily stand in when necessary, but I've gone for C as it gives the option of delegation if necessary, especially given people have exams and things like that coming up and can't be spending all of their free time counting invalid votes and sorting out voting records.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I can see your point, but I don't see anything wrong with having two deputy speakers so tasks can be delegated more.

As I've said though, I'm not overly fussed whether it's B or C as I know TF can easily stand in when necessary, but I've gone for C as it gives the option of delegation if necessary, especially given people have exams and things like that coming up and can't be spending all of their free time counting invalid votes and sorting out voting records.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The invalid votes can be counted automatically by the CT and the voting record is easy if one updates it regularly instead of at the end of each month. There is nothing difficult or overly time consuming to be delegated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    c is preteri
    wat?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.