Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Parliamentary Recess watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Please vote on your preferred option.
    A
    10.00%
    B
    50.00%
    C
    40.00%

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    The invalid votes can be counted automatically by the CT and the voting records is easy if one updates it regularly instead of at the end of each month.
    If the CT can do it automatically, why are we still waiting for confirmed by-election results?

True, but if the Speaker is busy that night he has the option of two deputy speakers to update the voting record for him.

Anyway, I must be off to sleep. I don't feel strongly enough about a second deputy speaker to debate you on it, as I'm not overly fussed, and I'm honestly knackered Night!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    If the CT can do it automatically, why are we still waiting for confirmed by-election results?

True, but if the Speaker is busy that night he has the option of two deputy speakers to update the voting record for him.

Anyway, I must be off to sleep. I don't feel strongly enough about a second deputy speaker to debate you on it, as I'm not overly fussed, and I'm honestly knackered Night!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because the CT suck at being responsive and doing important work rather than pointless ‘forum games’ hogwash for some Amazon vouchers…

… or do it a couple of hours before/after. :dontknow:

Night, night.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, people, stop thinking about the potential of having a new shiny position with hardly an work and support option B to close this non-isuse.

It's just for a week and for the first time in years, so the need shouldn't come up any time soon (otherwise we should in fact be replacing the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker because none of their predecessors needed any of this).

adam9317 Airmed balanced DMcGovern EricAteYou hazzer1998 Kay_Winters nebelbon Peroxidation PetrosAC TheDefiniteArticle tyroncs Unown Uzer Wellzi

If you refuse to go with B, why is that?
    People have a busy time coming up with exams and revision and whatnot. They won't have the time to get as much done so unless the workload is split we'll have tonnes of it backing up.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Come on, people, stop thinking about the potential of having a new shiny position with hardly an work and support option B to close this non-isuse.

It's just for a week and for the first time in years, so the need shouldn't come up any time soon (otherwise we should in fact be replacing the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker because none of their predecessors needed any of this).
    My predecessors would have just left the House without updates for a short time and you'd have sucked it up.

If I were to vote, I'd vote for A. The House can survive what will be a matter of days without being updated - I presume Parliament will be closed for submissions very soon due to the impending General Election anyway.

This is about updates and the opening and closing of debates on items. If people actually read A135 they'd understand.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

adam9317 Airmed balanced DMcGovern EricAteYou hazzer1998 Kay_Winters nebelbon Peroxidation PetrosAC TheDefiniteArticle tyroncs Unown Uzer Wellzi

To be really blunt, I actually don't care what happens.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Possibly because they would rather there was a left-wing deputy deputy speaker than The Financier. I personally don't have anything against him and think that he would probably do a good job but the left-wing people in your list might want there to be a left-wing deputy deputy speaker. Furthermore by having a deputy deputy speaker, you slightly reduce the power of the speaker and his deputy. In the future of the MHoC, if we have a dodgy speaker, Option C would slightly reduce his power.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Possibly because they would rather there was a left-wing deputy deputy speaker than The Financier. I personally don't have anything against him and think that he would probably do a good job but the left-wing people in your list might want there to be a left-wing deputy deputy speaker. Furthermore by having a deputy deputy speaker, you slightly reduce the power of the speaker and his deputy. In the future of the MHoC, if we have a dodgy speaker, Option C would slightly reduce his power.
    The Speaker is neutral and when Toronto is called upon to do his duties he is also neutral, so it doesn't matter about political ideologies.

Also, the deputy Speaker position is only really used if the Speaker is unavailable. They are normal members otherwise; yes, I reckon that Toronto probably discusses Speakership things with Ray but he certainly doesn't reduce Ray's power, so again having a second Deputy Speaker would not reduce a Speaker's power, whether dodgy or not.

Actually, **** it, Life_peer, after answering this I have decided: RayApparently, Mr Speaker, could you please change my vote to Option B, please?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Airmed)
    The Speaker is neutral and when Toronto is called upon to do his duties he is also neutral, so it doesn't matter about political ideologies.

Also, the deputy Speaker position is only really used if the Speaker is unavailable. They are normal members otherwise; yes, I reckon that Toronto probably discusses Speakership things with Ray but he certainly doesn't reduce Ray's power, so again having a second Deputy Speaker would not reduce a Speaker's power, whether dodgy or not.

Actually, **** it, Life_peer, after answering this I have decided: RayApparently, Mr Speaker, could you please change my vote to Option B, please?
    I know they are supposed to be neutral but it is just healthy for the status of a party to have someone in a position of power. On the subject of power, I think it would decrease the power of the speaker and his deputy, but only be a tiny amount. Also, is there anything I can say which would change your mind?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I know they are supposed to be neutral but it is just healthy for the status of a party to have someone in a position of power. On the subject of power, I think it would decrease the power of the speaker and his deputy, but only be a tiny amount. Also, is there anything I can say which would change your mind?
    Why are you arguing for a second DS when Ray is Speaker and is a former Labour leader, and Toronto is from the Liberals and we're in government together? Is this solely because Toronto identifies as centre right and you don't like that? Because otherwise your argument makes no sense.

I doubt it would decrease power at all.

I don't think you can. I'm quite good at making decisions when I can be arsed about it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why are you arguing for a second DS when Ray is Speaker and is a former Labour leader, and Toronto is from the Liberals and we're in government together? Is this solely because Toronto identifies as centre right and you don't like that? Because otherwise your argument makes no sense.

I doubt it would decrease power at all.

I don't think you can. I'm quite good at making decisions when I can be arsed about it.
    I have no issue with Ray at all and think he is a great speaker. However, in the future, there is the possibility of a dodgy speaker and I just think that if we had a deputy deputy, it would ease the situation a bit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I have no issue with Ray at all and think he is a great speaker. However, in the future, there is the possibility of a dodgy speaker and I just think that if we had a deputy deputy, it would ease the situation a bit.
    So you're dismissing the House's ability to elect a decent Speaker? :laugh: Ok. You know that we can put forward a MoNC? It has been done.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So you're dismissing the House's ability to elect a decent Speaker? :laugh: Ok. You know that we can put forward a MoNC? It has been done.
    Not necessarily, well maybe certain individuals' ability. I was thinking about an MoNC but say the speaker is very right wing and all the Conservatives and UKIP vote against the MoNC, there is a chance that the speaker might remain in power. At least with a deputy deputy speaker, you are guaranteed that will reduce the power of the speaker, even if it is only by a small fraction.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Not necessarily, well maybe certain individuals' ability. I was thinking about an MoNC but say the speaker is very right wing and all the Conservatives and UKIP vote against the MoNC, there is a chance that the speaker might remain in power. At least with a deputy deputy speaker, you are guaranteed that will reduce the power of the speaker, even if it is only by a small fraction.
    I think you're assuming that we're all so divided that we all vote politically. I'm sure some Tories voted for Ray and some lefties voted for Nigel in the last Speakership election.

I'll also point out that the Tories and Kippers would do very well to win 25+ seats

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    People won't vote on a VoNC based on political ideologies. It would be based on thr Speaker's actions, not which party they hsed to belong to. So your argument is invalided.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    People won't vote on a VoNC based on political ideologies. It would be based on thr Speaker's actions, not which party they hsed to belong to. So your argument is invalided.
    But do you not think that political ideologies might have some influence?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One would certainly hope so. But remember the Speaker that got VoNCed 3 minutes into his term?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have no issue with Ray at all and think he is a great speaker.
    Cheers.

he certainly doesn't reduce Ray's power, so again having a second Deputy Speaker would not reduce a Speaker's power
    MWAH HA HA!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have removed 1 vote for C and added one vote for B.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Could you please do the same for me. Life_peer has convinced me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Could you please do the same for me. Life_peer has convinced me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.