Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm not sure how to approach this and for it to make sense.... I'm completely blind in one eye (going on 12 years now). I had a Macular Hole in my remaining eye 2 years back which resulted in me getting an artificial lens fitted (I now have to wear two pairs of glasses, one for reading and one for distance/driving). I have decent vision in my left eye but it's perfect at about 1m anything before is blurry, anything after is blurry (gets blurrier the closer/further away).

Due to using two pairs of glasses and not getting on with the varifocal lenses... how is my experience going to be at University in terms of lectures etc?

My worry is that I'll be constantly swapping my glasses around to see a powerpoint/board etc and my text book?

I'm wondering what options there are for me in terms of getting class notes in large print etc. I've only recently returned to education as a mature student and I have very little experience on what issues I may encounter.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emizi)
    Hi there,

I'm not sure how to approach this and for it to make sense.... I'm completely blind in one eye (going on 12 years now). I had a Macular Hole in my remaining eye 2 years back which resulted in me getting an artificial lens fitted (I now have to wear two pairs of glasses, one for reading and one for distance/driving). I have decent vision in my left eye but it's perfect at about 1m anything before is blurry, anything after is blurry (gets blurrier the closer/further away).

Due to using two pairs of glasses and not getting on with the varifocal lenses... how is my experience going to be at University in terms of lectures etc?

My worry is that I'll be constantly swapping my glasses around to see a powerpoint/board etc and my text book?

I'm wondering what options there are for me in terms of getting class notes in large print etc. I've only recently returned to education as a mature student and I have very little experience on what issues I may encounter.

The best thing to do is speak to the disability office as soon as possible, even before you start studying, as they'll be able to tell you what they do for other students in your position as well as work with you to figure out what will be right for you. It's possible that the lecturers will provide you with print outs of any powerpoint slides they use so you can have them by your side rather than have to keep looking up from your notes and swapping glasses to see the screen. They'll usually provide things in large print for people who need it - I think that's the very least they do for people who are partially sighted. I would say that you might be able to sit close enough to the board/screen to be able to see with the vision you have in your left eye, but as someone who struggles with distance vision I'm not sure I'd be able to see the board from where the front seats generally are in a lecture theatre. I struggle to see my laptop if I take my glasses off.

Also look into claiming DSA so you can have an assessment regarding any special equipment you may need, or extra costs you might encounter. Again, the people who make recommendations based on your medical assessment for DSA are in a better place to advise you than anyone else because they will know what has helped others in the past a lot like the disability office at your university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    The best thing to do is speak to the disability office as soon as possible, even before you start studying, as they'll be able to tell you what they do for other students in your position as well as work with you to figure out what will be right for you. It's possible that the lecturers will provide you with print outs of any powerpoint slides they use so you can have them by your side rather than have to keep looking up from your notes and swapping glasses to see the screen. They'll usually provide things in large print for people who need it - I think that's the very least they do for people who are partially sighted. I would say that you might be able to sit close enough to the board/screen to be able to see with the vision you have in your left eye, but as someone who struggles with distance vision I'm not sure I'd be able to see the board from where the front seats generally are in a lecture theatre. I struggle to see my laptop if I take my glasses off.

Also look into claiming DSA so you can have an assessment regarding any special equipment you may need, or extra costs you might encounter. Again, the people who make recommendations based on your medical assessment for DSA are in a better place to advise you than anyone else because they will know what has helped others in the past a lot like the disability office at your university.
    Thank you so much, I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, I sit really close in college, but even then I still have to swap between the two, but they have the time to be able to go a bit slower for me, I know that's not really going to be an option in a larger environment.

I have a lot of stuff already - people laugh at me when I get my magnifying glass out! But yeah, deffo with looking into just in case I come across a hurdle that I need to gingerly tackle.

Thank you for your reply, really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You could always get an iPad or whatever to view class notes during lectures - you can magnify digitally.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Emizi)
    Hi there,

Speak to the disability support at your university. They will be able to help you discover what reasonable adjustments are best for you.

Make sure you tell them the whole truth or they might not give you sufficient help! It's all confidential with them so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    You could always get an iPad or whatever to view class notes during lectures - you can magnify digitally.
    I have one, is that the bit where it gives out a magnifying glass thingy on the screen that you can move around, or do you mean just making larger by expanding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Speak to the disability support at your university. They will be able to help you discover what reasonable adjustments are best for you.

Make sure you tell them the whole truth or they might not give you sufficient help! It's all confidential with them so don't worry.
    Not much I could hide to be honest, my right eye is a bit of a mag pie and just looks off to the side at anything shiny. But yeah, thank you .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emizi)
    I have one, is that the bit where it gives out a magnifying glass thingy on the screen that you can move around, or do you mean just making larger by expanding?
    I meant just making it larger by expanding. I've only ever read lecture notes on my laptop and on paper. Also, you could try reading them on your laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    I meant just making it larger by expanding. I've only ever read lecture notes on my laptop and on paper. Also, you could try reading them on your laptop.
    Yeah, you can see I'm technically minded... haha. Can you get notes ahead of time for the class you're sitting so that I can use my reading classes to use laptop and/or text book? It's getting a feel for the actual environment to know what to expect is the problem.

I have an post-offer day on 16th of April, so I'll start making a list of questions and hopefully find someone that can help answer some of them .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emizi)
    Yeah, you can see I'm technically minded... haha. Can you get notes ahead of time for the class you're sitting so that I can use my reading classes to use laptop and/or text book? It's getting a feel for the actual environment to know what to expect is the problem.

I have an post-offer day on 16th of April, so I'll start making a list of questions and hopefully find someone that can help answer some of them .
    Some of my uni lecturers post the lecture notes a few days before the lecture. You can always try and ask your lecturers to upload them beforehand and explain your situation to them.

I've seen new glasses (my cousin wears them) which contain two lenses in a sense. They are like dual lenses glasses, when you look down they are like reading specs and when you look up they are for normal use. I think it's worth investigating those too!
    Emizi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    I've seen new glasses (my cousin wears them) which contain two lenses in a sense. They are like dual lenses glasses, when you look down they are like reading specs and when you look up they are for normal use. I think it's worth investigating those too!
    Emizi
    Ohhh, I've not heard of them, it certainly is worth a look (pun isn't intended... well maybe a bit!). Thank you

(Original post by Emizi)
    Ohhh, I've not heard of them, it certainly is worth a look (pun isn't intended... well maybe a bit!). Thank you
    No problem!! I'm pretty sure they exist.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    No problem!! I'm pretty sure they exist.
    Varifocals?

OP - I'm partially sighted, although, my situation is somewhat different. (I have Nystagmus and Optic Atrophy, which means my optic nerve has part of it missing and my eye muscles haven't developed properly)

For me personally, I find it so much easier to use a tablet because it means I can have it in the format I require. I can sometimes read standard size print for a few minutes; but it takes a lot of effort.

Any questions, just yell. Can't promise I can answer everything though!

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Varifocals?

OP - I'm partially sighted, although, my situation is somewhat different. (I have Nystagmus and Optic Atrophy, which means my optic nerve has part of it missing and my eye muscles haven't developed properly)

For me personally, I find it so much easier to use a tablet because it means I can have it in the format I require. I can sometimes read standard size print for a few minutes; but it takes a lot of effort.

That's it varifocals. Do you think that would benefit OP?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's difficult to advise, really. You have to remember that whilst the OP and I are both partially sighted, we both have different degrees of sight loss (I'm borderline to be able to drive / not able to drive; but reading standard size print is almost impossible) and the problems we have are both completely different.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to advise, really. You have to remember that whilst the OP and I are both partially sighted, we both have different degrees of sight loss (I'm borderline to be able to drive / not able to drive; but reading standard size print is almost impossible) and the problems we have are both completely different.
    OP mentioned that she didn't get along with varifocal lenses, so I assume she's already tried them and exhausted that option.

(Original post by mscaffrey)
    OP mentioned that she didn't get along with varifocal lenses, so I assume she's already tried them and exhausted that option.
    I see...

ReputationRep:
    Aye, because I only have vision in one eye,I found them quite disorientating. I had to go back to two sets of glasses pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Varifocals?

Thank you very much for your insight. Do you pull your course work up on your tablet then? I have an IPad but I've not used to to assist me In my learning.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.