Anyone Else Confused? Watch

This discussion is closed.
entiti
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'm deciding on a university now, anyone else doing the same and feeling confused? How are you choosing your course? How are you choosing which university to go to? :confused:

Hoping for some ideas :rolleyes:
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
First question: What are you interested in?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
First question: What are you interested in?
Second Question: Where do you like to go?
entiti
I'm hoping to go on to work in business after doing some kind of computing course at university. At the moment I'm carrying on with maths, law, computing and VCE ICT for A2. I'm hoping for A/Bs in computing and ICT. Law hopefully a C. Maths needs sorting out and I will aim for C/D (Not going well, so aiming high).

I was hoping for Imperial College, but with my grades looks hopeless Do you think it might be worth applying? How flexible are universitys on academic grades?

Is there anywhere else you can say is worth applying for what I want to do? It seems you either go into a top university, with all the benefits that comes with it, with high grades, or go into a less regarded uni with a lower typical offer - with no in between. Thanks for the help :eek:
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by entiti)
I'm hoping to go on to work in business after doing some kind of computing course at university. At the moment I'm carrying on with maths, law, computing and VCE ICT for A2. I'm hoping for A/Bs in computing and ICT. Law hopefully a C. Maths needs sorting out and I will aim for C/D (Not going well, so aiming high).

I was hoping for Imperial College, but with my grades looks hopeless Do you think it might be worth applying? How flexible are universitys on academic grades?

Is there anywhere else you can say is worth applying for what I want to do? It seems you either go into a top university, with all the benefits that comes with it, with high grades, or go into a less regarded uni with a lower typical offer - with no in between. Thanks for the help :eek:
I thing that IC would be looking for at least a B in maths. Don't lose hope though, I have about as much maths ability as a blind monkey and I still have a shot at a high enough grade to get onto my course. If you think that you might (no matter how small the chance) be able to meet the requirements of ANY course then you should not hesitate to apply!!!

There is no shortage of great computing courses in the UK though. Have you though about where you might like to live?!? :confused:
entiti
Ok well, I live quite near London, the closer the better really, commuting would be easier. Imp was asking for A in maths, and an A and a B in another subject I think it was. Is it worth dropping one of my subjects I'm doing for A level? I thought they'd all be good for going into business with. :confused:
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
Ok well, I live quite near London, the closer the better really, commuting would be easier. Imp was asking for A in maths, and an A and a B in another subject I think it was. Is it worth dropping one of my subjects I'm doing for A level? I thought they'd all be good for going into business with. :confused:
As long as you have the 3 subjects at the grades the university wants then the number of subjects doesn't really matter (doing History as an extra does NOT make you appealing...I promise ). If you want to look at London uni's then you have some great ones like IC, KCL, LSE, UCL, RH. You should try and get round as many possibles as you can so that you can get a feel for the places before you apply.
entiti
ok thanks a lot. The help is greatly appreciated. If anyone else has any advice then please post it :rolleyes: I'll try and get round as many as I can.
anaïs
Report 14 years ago
yep im confussed too, dont worry i think alot of people this age are! i have no idea where to go or what to do, too many decisions lol!
good luck deciding
ana xxx
[-David-]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm deciding on a university now, anyone else doing the same and feeling confused? How are you choosing your course? How are you choosing which university to go to? :confused:

Hoping for some ideas :rolleyes:
Uni league guide
Course structure
Facilities
Surrounding environment (shops etc)
Do you want to live at home?
Distance from home

I came across the university of teesside because of its good reputation for computing based degrees, cheap accommodation, shops within walking distance from the campus, very good reviews and im very interested in the course structure.

Obviously more elements have to be put into the equation to determine your ideal uni, as everyone is different and want different things.

The very beginning of my uni search started at my college when there was an HE fair, uni representatives would be there with stalls just handing out loads of prospectus's, i took a load home and read them through.

Hope this is some help

David
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm applying tomorrow for Aerospace Engineering (late I know) but they dont really run this course in Scotland. I'm thinking about doing that course because I have always had a love of flying and airplanes and how they work. Since I have already left school I will be looking to go to a university that will accept the poor results that I got when I was a kid! Does anyone know what kind of fees I will be looking at paying at an English university?
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
I'm applying tomorrow for Aerospace Engineering (late I know) but they dont really run this course in Scotland. I'm thinking about doing that course because I have always had a love of flying and airplanes and how they work. Since I have already left school I will be looking to go to a university that will accept the poor results that I got when I was a kid! Does anyone know what kind of fees I will be looking at paying at an English university?
Assuming that you can claim home status then it is £1025 per year for tuition at all universities.
[-David-]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
About £1000 a year tuition, but depending on when you join (ie not this year) you may have to pay top up fees.

Well apart from the tuition fees you got your living expenses, books, clothes, equipment etc etc etc.

All of course, vary depending on which uni you go to.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well I have never lived in England, only Scotland and N.Ireland. So doesnt that mean I get charged more than eveyone else to study?
[-David-]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well I have never lived in England, only Scotland and N.Ireland. So doesnt that mean I get charged more than eveyone else to study?
I wouldn't of thought so, but im no expert.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nah, you're still British!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you sure? wow that would be really good if it was the same all over. for some reason I thought it was different.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you sure? wow that would be really good if it was the same all over. for some reason I thought it was different.
Have you got permanent residence in one of those countries? Or Citizenship? If you have one of the above yu'll still be paying home fees.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have British Citizenship and lived in Scotland for 4 years now
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have British Citizenship and lived in Scotland for 4 years now
No probs then
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (89)
19.96%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (180)
40.36%
Nope, not that interesting (177)
39.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed