Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauraaa898)
    Seems helpful! I don't know what I want to do and that's why I'm questioning uni as I don't want to get a degree, get into so much debt to then end up not using my degree when working
    Yes it's a big decision. Well my best advice would be to pick something you're really interested in and for me, that meant something interdisciplinary as I was finding it really difficult to settle on one subject. Also, to try and get a feel for the Uni's so I'd suggest going to as many of the cities/open days as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTBullen)
    Hi! I'm a student at Chester uni studying Geography and Natural Hazard Management. The main reason I chose Chester is because no other UK universities do Natural Hazard Management with geography. But Chester also do IDS (International Development Studies) with Geography. In easier terms to understand, this means that you can tailor your course to what you enjoy. Whether it is human or physical geography you can choose your own modules and also coursework that you do within those modules based on what you like. I know that York and Sheffield may be more prestigious universities. But the Geography department in Chester is very well known for it's involved staff. They genuinely care about the students, unlike other universities. They make themselves available 7 days a week for you if you need, within reason. I'm not trying to sell the uni by any means, and I didn't expect the department to be this interested in my success but the staff are great.

There are also a lot of talks from external speakers and guest lecturers, this means that you can widen your network of people in the field. I have added many on linked in and am talking to a few about work based learning opportunities. At Chester Work Based learning is compulsory, this means that employability is enhanced fully. There is a lot of support to help you find the Work based learning and it's nothing to worry about, it's an opportunity to enhance your employability!

I'm really enjoying it, but the biggest advice I can give you is to ensure that you look at the course content of the courses. In Chester you're offered trips to Norway, Naples and Wales for free too! Really have a look in depth, but only you can decide.

I hope this helps! Please message me if you have any questions

James
    How was the course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.