The Student Room Group

First class degree anxiety

Hey guys. Just need to vent a little and will hopefully gain some advice!

I am in my final year and I currently need 73.5% average in the remaining six modules I have left for this year. Four of these modules equate to my dissertation and one module is 100% coursework and one is an exam with a coursework component.

I've been told by lots of people to go for it and smash it but can't help thinking how I will feel if i just miss out on getting a first. I can't seem to focus because I keeping thinking it is out of my grasp!

So is it realistically achievable/not a ridiculous high mark to achieve? Am I being too ambitious?

I'm hoping someone is in a similar situation or can relieve some of my anxiety so I can concentrate.

Thanks for any advice
Original post by Barcelona123

I am in my final year and I currently need 73.5% average in the remaining six modules I have left for this year. Four of these modules equate to my dissertation and one module is 100% coursework and one is an exam with a coursework component.

I've been told by lots of people to go for it and smash it but can't help thinking how I will feel if i just miss out on getting a first. I can't seem to focus because I keeping thinking it is out of my grasp!

So is it realistically achievable/not a ridiculous high mark to achieve? Am I being too ambitious?

I'm hoping someone is in a similar situation or can relieve some of my anxiety so I can concentrate.

Thanks for any advice

Which course are you studying? Humanities/arts/STEM/social sciences?

How have you performed so far? If you've been achieving firsts along the way (even if just in some modules), then try and reassure yourself that you can do it!

I can understand your anxiety - I was really gunning for a first in my last year. However, I tried to channel that determination (even fear sometimes) into working hard, as obvious as it sounds. Try not to think about specific marks that you need, and instead focus on making your coursework & dissertation as amazing as you can make them, and that you're the best-prepared you've ever been for the exam.

If you miss it, sure it's disappointing. But getting a 2.1 won't in any real way impact on your job prospects. And if you've really tried, then you'll eventually be proud I think, when you look back at your dedication and what you learned.

Thanks for any advice

Hey there,

Gutenberg gave a lot of good advice, so I backup everything which has already been said!

Even if it seems out of your grasp, it will always be possible. I have friends who are currently in their final year, struggled for the first 3 years, and are only now getting their grades up high, but they're getting towards the first class band. Of course, it takes a lot of hard work, but if you take all the time you have left, really focus, it will be incredibly worth it. As gutenberg also said, even if you end up with a 2:1, you're still in a great position, but if you've really tried towards the end of your degree, that extra knowledge or understanding can really help you further.

What helps me is to get into a routine. Or if you ever think "this class is going to be hard" or "I need to do too much for this class", then start studying straight away on that class.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Thanks for any advice

It sounds like you're obsessing a bit about this which is actually having a detrimental effect on your study. I'd put all thoughts about getting a first out of your mind and instead focus on doing your best for each assignment in the present, as that's the most immediately important thing to do if you want to achieve your goal :dumbells:

Make sure you really engage with your course, get as much feedback from lecturers as possible. Don't miss out on any tutorials where they discuss dissertation techniques/skills/etc. as these are really, really useful. We were given examples of different grades of dissertation in those sessions which helps a lot in terms of figuring out what markers want to see.

What are you studying? It will be harder to achieve for a humanities based subject as maximum grades often don't go above 80%.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's an unachievable goal, but you'll need to work hard. :dumbells: My one piece of advice is to make sure you give enough focus on your other modules to make sure you get good grades in them as well as your dissertation. If you want a 73% average you'll need high marks in everything, so don't put all your eggs in one basket and make sure you give enough time and research for all your modules!

I also think Gutenberg is right - if you come out with a 2:1 that is not going to negatively impact you in any way, especially in the job market.

Good luck! :dumbells:
(edited 8 years ago)
What is going to go wrong if you get 69% and a 2.1? nothing realistically, you work as hard as you can and you can't be too disappointed with what comes out... the only thing you will regret is panicking and not working hard and then coming out with a 2.1

Quick Reply

Latest