Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can we all reflect on all the good things Islam does for the world? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Well so was Europe, but the big difference was, Europe was more or less entirely Christian, which served as a strong unifying force. India as I understand it was a hodge podge of Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs and various other local folk religions, there was really no banner they could all unite under against a marauding enemy (though if I recall, some Sikhs and Hindus did eventually form alliances to push back against Muslim conquerers).
    india was a collection of independant kingdoms, perhaps as many as 20 and mostly didnt get along with each other anyway so fought independantly . essentially the western ones bore the brunt of the invasions ie afganistan pakistan and punjab. a number of well known indian kings are recorded as defeating the islamic armies and pushing them back into their their own territory. B ut this process went on for hundreds of years seeing as india was seen asa valuable target. and there wasnt jsut one muslim leader but many conficlting kings. in reality it was the arrival of the british that drove the muslim kings out permanently

lest we forgot though that europe though protected geographically from mass invasion from the mid east, did succumb at the points of southern spain and indeed scicily to islamic conquest ( which kicked off the Crusades).

But the mongols flattening the entire islamic caliphate was something of an iconic historical outcome defying the claims of an unbreakable islamic empire. and ironically enough the mongols later converted to islam themselves to become rulers of the caliphate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiculturalism)
    Can we please respect other cultures? Islam is not oppressive towards women, they simply treat them differently, but as equals in Allah's eyes. I'm not a Muslim myself, but I think they deserve our utmost respect, especially considering how hard it must be being a Muslim these days.

Peace <3
    Another inane "satire" account... sheesh...

ReputationRep:
    But on topic:
    The Islamic Golden Age preserved and improved upon much classical science and philosophy, which was invaluable to the development of western civilisation. Hats off to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    But on topic:
    The Islamic Golden Age preserved and improved upon much classical science and philosophy, which was invaluable to the development of western civilisation. Hats off to them.
    not really much to do with islam. just a bunch of persians re-discovering ancient books.
    presumably they would have said - "The ancient and classical which was invaluable to the development of islamic civilisation"

the pre islamic greeks egyptians and indians were far more advanced than the first muslims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    not really much to do with islam. just a bunch of persians re-discovering ancient books.
    presumably they would have said - "The ancient and classical which was invaluable to the development of islamic civilisation"

the pre islamic greeks egyptians and indians were far more advanced than the first muslims
    Meh, it played a role
    The various Quranic injunctions and Hadith, which place values on education and emphasize the importance of acquiring knowledge, played a vital role in influencing the Muslims of this age in their search for knowledge and the development of the body of science
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    I know it's hard at times like this, but can't we all reflect on the good things Islam does for the world?

The greatest tragedy with these attacks is the way Islam and it's adherents are demonized because of them.
    People don't reflect on the bad, they never mention it enough. Did you know that in the last 30 days, there have been:
    124 Islamic attacks
    1289 killed In Islamic terrorist attacks
    2008 injured in said Islamic terrorist attacks
    21 suicide blasts
    in 22 countries.

Do you hear facts like that? No, because the media is not reporting on facts anymore. Please educate yourselves as the media will not.

It's far easier to act as if critics of Islam have a problem with Muslims as people than it is to accept the uncomfortable truth that Islam needs reforming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Meh, it played a role
    i recognise that quote direct from the wiki page on Islamic Golden Age

however if that were accurate, the first muslims would have invented maths instead of being innumerate and the first quran would have had a numbering system, instead of it having to be added decades later having learnt to count from the Hindus and how to measure from the polyeithist Greeks

ReputationRep:
    i recognise that quote direct from the wiki page on Islamic Golden Age

however if that were accurate, the first muslims would have invented maths instead of being innumerate and the first quran would have had a numbering system, instead of it having to be added decades later having learnt to count from the Hindus and how to measure from the polyeithist Greeks
    Did you expect them to be instantly imbued with this knowledge upon becoming Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Did you expect them to be instantly imbued with this knowledge upon becoming Muslim?
    well if islam genuinely was responsible, then yes ?

i think the point worth making was that the greeks came up with a lot more clever stuff without ever opening the quran. and indeed the chinese invented more important things than all the muslims in the worlds history before ever hearing about mohammed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Meh, it played a role
    in case you were genuinelly interested , this is quite a good summary of the actual background of the golden age that prob is not explained on internet forums

https://parseundparse.wordpress.com/...e-and-history/

ReputationRep:
    well if islam genuinely was responsible, then yes ?

i think the point worth making was that the greeks came up with a lot more clever stuff without ever opening the quran. and indeed the chinese invented more important things than all the muslims in the worlds history before ever hearing about mohammed.
    Islam was partly responsible for setting up an enviroment that allowed knowlege to flourish. That takes time though. Why do you assume it has to be more or less instant?

No one suggested Islam was the sole bearer of knowlege so I've no idea what you're trying to say there.

ReputationRep:
    in case you were genuinelly interested , this is quite a good summary of the actual background of the golden age that prob is not explained on internet forums

https://parseundparse.wordpress.com/...e-and-history/
    Cheers, I'll read it tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Islam was partly responsible for setting up an enviroment that allowed knowlege to flourish. That takes time though. Why do you assume it has to be more or less instant?

No one suggested Islam was the sole bearer of knowlege so I've no idea what you're trying to say there.
    well i was saying the knowledge of the golden age came orginally form non muslims, and was developed as part of an pre-islamic persian scientific tradition

its worth reading that link i posted, its written by pro persian historians who werent fans of the arabs, but does contain relevant facts about how the persian tradition of learning and science that the first arab muslim invaders couldnt not fathom. and they were forced to translate all their works (and write all future ones) in arabic , so they could claim the fame for islam

ReputationRep:
    40 military campaigns - presumably he used the vulcan nerve grip on all his enemies and jsut put them all to sleep

banu qurazya tribe?

executed satirists?

executed slaves?

executed poets?
    wrong you haven't provided any references i bet you just quickly googled when i asked you that question, you shouldn't comment on topics you have no clue about. From authentic narrations it is known that muhammad killed only one ubay ibn khalaf (ibn katheers tafseer). Other than that there is are authentic narrations of him killing anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceberger)
    wrong you haven't provided any references i bet you just quickly googled when i asked you that question, you shouldn't comment on topics you have no clue about. From authentic narrations it is known that muhammad killed only one ubay ibn khalaf (ibn katheers tafseer). Other than that there is are authentic narrations of him killing anyone
    i cant google that fast, noone can

ReputationRep:
    well i was saying the knowledge of the golden age came orginally form non muslims, and was developed as part of an pre-islamic persian scientific tradition

its worth reading that link i posted, its written by pro persian historians who werent fans of the arabs, but does contain relevant facts about how the persian tradition of learning and science that the first arab muslim invaders couldnt not fathom. and they were forced to translate all their works (and write all future ones) in arabic , so they could claim the fame for islam
    in that case- as the west has done LOL translated the arabic books into english and claimed the fame.

ReputationRep:
    i cant google that fast, noone can
    yh i know right, takes hrs doesn't it

ReputationRep:
    in that case- as the west has done LOL translated the arabic books into english and claimed the fame.
    not really, the europeans (incorrectly ) gave credit to the arabs, naming algebra after al-Khwarizmis arabic term al-jabr, even though the greeks indians and chinese all had invented algebra centuries before islam

ReputationRep:
    not really, the europeans (incorrectly ) gave credit to the arabs, naming algebra after al-Khwarizmis arabic term al-jabr, even though the greeks indians and chinese all had invented algebra centuries before islam
    lol the greeks believed the earth was flat, anyway it doesn't matter who invented what as long as the knowledge benefits all mankind thats the main thing

ReputationRep:
    lol the greeks believed the earth was flat, anyway it doesn't matter who invented what as long as the knowledge benefits all mankind thats the main thing
    incorrect - Eratosthenes worked out the world was round in 200 bc and Aryabhata of india worked out in 500 ad the planets circumference to an estimate within 80 km of the correct figure - again neither these had anything to do with islam

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.