Turn on thread page Beta

Will companies hire me as a full-time employee if I'm at uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at uni studying a degree but my hours are extremely limited, like 5 hours per week. Also, I only have two weeks left of classes left. After that, I'll be free of education for about 4 months. I'm looking to get a full-time job in that space but I'm under the impression that places will be reluctant to hire me because I am also at uni and that is my top priority. Is that the case or not? Do you know anybody that works a full-time job whilst at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historeek)
    I'm currently at uni studying a degree but my hours are extremely limited, like 5 hours per week. Also, I only have two weeks left of classes left. After that, I'll be free of education for about 4 months. I'm looking to get a full-time job in that space but I'm under the impression that places will be reluctant to hire me because I am also at uni and that is my top priority. Is that the case or not? Do you know anybody that works a full-time job whilst at uni?
    What sort of job were you thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    What sort of job were you thinking?
    Something in retail or food places

ReputationRep:
    Something in retail or food places
    I'd say the best thing is to try and find a part-time job and then book as much overtime as possible then. I know someone who works 48h per week at Sainsbury's (gap year) but she's only contracted 12h pw.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If the hours fit then they will be ok, but uni hours can change, so they might not like it. they may ofc have flexible contracts which you can fit round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I'd say the best thing is to try and find a part-time job and then book as much overtime as possible then. I know someone who works 48h per week at Sainsbury's (gap year) but she's only contracted 12h pw.
    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
    Positive there is you're not locked down to working the whole time, it's easier to take breaks when you want them :cute:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just get a low hours contract and take extra (most retailers work like this) I was doing 30hrs p/w in term time during my third year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.