Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hopefully because of a new spec, the grade bounderies will be lower than previous years as it was testing our ability to change to a new spec, maybe C=34 40=B? etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamir_greenlamp)
    question 18, did anyone talk about the effect of reducing govt spending on unemployment benefits? which creates incentive to look for work and increasing labour force etc
    Yep
    I said that as well - its a valid L4 evaluation point

ReputationRep:
    So what was the answer to the question about comparative advantage? I put that country y would benefit from trade but country X wouldn't, did anyone else get this or was I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanLinton)
    So what was the answer to the question about comparative advantage? I put that country y would benefit from trade but country X wouldn't, did anyone else get this or was I wrong?
    I think I put that

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else find the data response a bit hard?

ReputationRep:
    For the saving 2 marker was interest rates the only valid answer? I saw it mentioned unemployment was falling so I talked about how people likely have more income and people on higher incomes tend to save more is this wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanLinton)
    The answer was D - no one would benefit. Despite having an absolute advantage, there was no comparative advantage, because both Country X and Country Y had ratio 1:4. Therefore, none of the countries is better at the production.

ReputationRep:
    What textbooks do you guys use? I am planning to self learn this next year and havnt seen any textbooks for new spec ocr economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDotDarko)
    What textbooks do you guys use? I am planning to self learn this next year and havnt seen any textbooks for new spec ocr economics
    http://www.anforme.co.uk/economics-c...vel-year-1-p30 - This was a revision guide that my teacher recommended. If you excuse the cringe-worthy cover image (the classic 'could you put your hand on the other dude's shoulder?' shot + 'I wonder what will make this book look economicsy; ooh I know a pie chart!' ) the book's very straight to the point and is structured well, making it easy to find certain topics and plan revision into manageable chunks. It has also been published very recently; whilst it is not specifically OCR, it does state in places the topics demanded by each exam board (including OCR's new spec). However, it is less useful for self learning without notes from class as it's a revision guide and is designed to complement notes made in class.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-6...ag=hohtel0c-21 - This is a really comprehensive textbook and I would recommend this if you can afford it; I don't own a copy myself, but I have borrowed one from my teacher (he only had 1 copy due to the price tag) and I have found it both enjoyable (yes, you read that correctly) and very helpful (for the few days I had it, I never had to check online what the textbook was trying to get at; it comprehensively explained theories and terms and had interesting extracts at the end of each chapter from books/news sources etc. about the theories explained in the chapter being applied to real life events). I can't remember if this book was published after OCR changed their spec, but due to the comprehensive nature of this book, (672 pages!) I'm fairly sure you'll find everything you need + loads of other interesting titbits to ponder about (however, if you want to get straight to the point and read only about things pertinent to the OCR syllabus, I wouldn't recommend this hefty investment).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Level-E...ag=hohtel0c-21 - This was the textbook our class was burdened with. It states that it's compatible w/ OCR's new spec, but it misses out MANY of the spec's requirements. It's layout is also confusing and it waffles a lot without actually tackling the subject matter (whilst Anderton - the 2nd book mentioned in my rant - also waffles a bit he is forgiven by his comprehensive explanations of every theory he mentions). The multiple 1 star reviews on Amazon reinforces this criticism.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please give a rough overview of what the 10 marker and the two 20 markers were for this paper. (q16->18)

I'm currently revising for a mock and want to know what style of questions come up on these new OCR ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khalaswan)
    Can someone please give a rough overview of what the 10 marker and the two 20 markers were for this paper. (q16->18)

I'm currently revising for a mock and want to know what style of questions come up on these new OCR ones.
    The style of the 20 marker is the same as the old its just that you have the option of 2. The only difference is the multiple choice. The 10 marker you have to draw a graph and label it correctly as well as writing what happens with the graph and relating it to the text in the paper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.