Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok been revising this 7 hours today just a couple of questions

for the radius equation, its A 1/3

now is this 1/3 POWEERD onto A? if so how do you do that on your calculator?

it also says explain the conditions in which fusiion can occure in the sun; well the sun provides lots and lots of energy from temperature which overcomes the coulmb force of replusion, it is also of high density

WHAT ELSE?

also, the particle accelerater questions are bad.

Mod Expression - Language

ReputationRep:
    A^1/3 is just the cube root of A. there should be a cube root button on your calculator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaXXX)

it also says explain the conditions in which fusiion can occure in the sun; well the sun provides lots and lots of energy from temperature which overcomes the coulmb force of replusion, it is also of high density

WHAT ELSE?

also, the particle accelerater questions are going to be bad
    Do different exam boards use different terms for the electromagnetic force or something?

On AQA they use electromagnetic force usually, but sometimes electrostatic force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    A^1/3 is just the cube root of A. there should be a cube root button on your calculator
    you are so amazing, most of my buttons are worn off ive had my calculator for so long....

so if A = 3

then ..... A cube root 1/3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Just do ^ (1/3) on the calc if you can't find the button!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Text_Box)
    Do different exam boards use different terms for the electromagnetic force or something?

On AQA they use electromagnetic force usually, but sometimes electrostatic force.
    possibly, coulomb force, electrostatic force, its all the same to me, doesnt matter anyway

ReputationRep:
    you are so amazing, most of my buttons are worn off ive had my calculator for so long....

so if A = 3

then ..... A cube root 1/3
    Fractional powers are roots.

^(1/2) is square root
    ^(1/3) is cube root
    ^(1/4) is quartic root

ReputationRep:
    Just do ^ (1/3) on the calc if you can't find the button!
    UGH let us say A = 20

i did 20 MULTIPLIED by 1/3 which gave me the same answer as yours.... BUT THAT ISNT THE ANSWERR

ReputationRep:
    UGH let us say A = 20

i did 20 MULTIPLIED by 1/3 which gave me the same answer as yours.... BUT THAT ISNT THE ANSWERR
    Why did you multiply? I thought you had to do 20^(1/3)?

ReputationRep:
    OK LISTEN UP it says show that ro ( RADIUS OF ONE NUCELON ) is 1.4 x 10^-15

so i used the eq r = ro A 1/3

THEN I REARRANGED to get ro = r / A 1/3

r i had already worked out before r = 3.8 x10 ^ -15 ( i had alreayd worked out before ) and A = 20

so 3.8 x 10^-15 / 20 x 1/3 SHUD GIVE 1.4 X 10 TO THE MINUS 15

ReputationRep:
    Why did you multiply? I thought you had to do 20^(1/3)?
    thats wat i wasnt doing, THANK YOUYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUU
    a simple tiny error UGH

ReputationRep:

WHAT ELSE?

also, the particle accelerater questions are going to be gay
    Erm.. high energy = high kinetic energy leads to (a) more successful collisions of hydrogen atoms to form helium atoms (P-P chain), (b) higher pressure (or density, I'm not sure which one is the right quantity to decide). All due to gravitational potential energy of particles being converted to kinetic energy. Can't think of anything else either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Erm.. high energy = high kinetic energy leads to (a) more successful collisions of hydrogen atoms to form helium atoms (P-P chain), (b) higher pressure (or density, I'm not sure which one is the right quantity to decide). All due to gravitational potential energy of particles being converted to kinetic energy. Can't think of anything else either.
    um fusion happens on a polarised scale - it either happens or doesnt happen - you either have the amount of energy or you dont i.e. there isnt really anything hotter than the sun

i do like how you have talked about the reactions taking place, and talked about collisions taking place that can hence form He from the two H nuclei, also good pts on the density... higher pressure = faster

thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaYYY)
    um fusion happens on a polarised scale - it either happens or doesnt happen - you either have the amount of energy or you dont i.e. there isnt really anything hotter than the sun

i do like how you have talked about the reactions taking place, and talked about collisions taking place that can hence form He from the two H nuclei, also good pts on the density... higher pressure = faster

thx
    If you need to learn the P-P chain it's complicated... like two hydrogens mix, then undergo beta positive decay that turns two protons into 1 proton and 1 neutron. Then this mixes with another one that has done the same to make 2 protons and 2 neutrons, He nucleus. Although I remember there were 3 steps, so that was probably wrong. Also, I dont have a clue where the electrons are at, they won't be having any of this proton+proton mixing if they can help it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    If you need to learn the P-P chain it's complicated... like two hydrogens mix, then undergo beta positive decay that turns two protons into 1 proton and 1 neutron. Then this mixes with another one that has done the same to make 2 protons and 2 neutrons, He nucleus. Although I remember there were 3 steps, so that was probably wrong. Also, I dont have a clue where the electrons are at, they won't be having any of this proton+proton mixing if they can help it.
    yeah i know the three steps but its just the conditions for the fusion in the sun, hopefully will be worth only 2 marks if it comes up

also, electrons are not in the nucleus, therefore they don't matter

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the main problem with this module is the fact there isn't that much content, so they expect you to know it *really* in depth. Mind, I'm almost past caring about exams now, as I just want them to be over so I can party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmiak)
    I reckon the main problem with this module is the fact there isn't that much content, so they expect you to know it *really* in depth. Mind, I'm almost past caring about exams now, as I just want them to be over so I can party
    LOL not much content? it appears that way but all the particle accelerator crap and other stuff just adds up

ReputationRep:
    the exams a load of ****

and the text book is a load of ****

good luck at your insurance university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friday13th)
    the exams a load of ****

and the text book is a load of ****

good luck at your insurance university
    LOL i know particle accelerators is so mundane and dull, my msn: [email protected]

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.