ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I need desperate help with this Computer Science Practical,
    I have no idea what I'm doing and I am going to fail
    any help at all, even just explaining how to do the general idea
    would be amazing

thanks !!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Year 11 Computer Science Mock Practical Exam Jan 2016.docx (16.9 KB, 68 views)

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you will need to create a Database containing the information. I would recommend using Python and SQLite to create this as the user would need to be able to easily find Employee data through the use of a search form. I would generate two databases: Employees & QualificationLevel.

The databases would look a little bit like this:

EMPLOYEES (CustomerID, First Name, Last Name, Telephone Number, Qualification)

QUALIFICATIONS (Qualification, QualAbbreviation)

Key: Primary keys underlined, Foreign Keys italicised.

The use of two databses will ensure data integrity within the system. The Employees table will reference back to QualAbbreviation in the Qualifications table to get the full name of the qualification status of a given employee. At this stage, I would then design an algorithm which can auto-generate a CustomerID based on the data entered for the First Name and the Last Name columns.

This is the bulk of the project, assuming you know how to design simple algorithms for buttons which can clarify whether or not the data entered is correct.

Python, thankfully, has a Tkinter module which will allow you to design the GUI for your practical. Python also has built in SQLite modules to allow you to create databases from within the IDE.

If you are stuck, I would recommend consulting your teacher over this as they may help you find a more appropriate solution than the one i've provided above. If you are stuck on anything related to the software engineering aspects of your practical, google searches and websites such as StackOverflow are your best friends when it comes to this, as well as your teacher.

Happy to help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.