Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not going to university and purposely being unemployed for at least 3 years? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong to say that I'm ok with the idea of not being in university and deliberately unemployed for at least 3 years to focus on a long term idea?
    I've looked at all of the uni courses and none seem to be useful for what I want to do.
    I want to pursue a music career however it would require training, having time to make craft and practice. I need time to work on my craft because though I would like to sing, song write, produce music and even dance I don't have enough practice. I have never ever produced a track record before and I've only written probably 4-5 songs in my entire life. I'm still trying to find my sound and my identity as an artist. At the moment because I've made my A levels first priority it's all on hold the things I would like to do.
    Going to university, I'm sure the same thing would happen where because I am so occupied with meeting deadlines I won't have time to do all of these activities so I'm thinking twice about going to university now .

I've been told that without a degree I have the risk of being unemployed but I'm not looking for a secure/ long term job at the moment. I have goals in terms of the job I would like to have and the life I would like to live. I thought to myself, imagine for three years you're working in a shop i.e Tesco at the age of 21/22 however you're practicing/making craft everyday would I mind and I thought no. If things are moving no where- the highest thing is I'd go to uni as a mature student. At least I tried and had crafted music.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Is it wrong to say that I'm ok with the idea of not being in university and deliberately unemployed for at least 3 years to focus on a long term idea?
    I've looked at all of the uni courses and none seem to be useful for what I want to do.
    I want to pursue a music career however it would require training, having time to make craft and practice. I need time to work on my craft because though I would like to sing, song write, produce music and even dance I don't have enough practice. I have never ever produced a track record before and I've only written probably 4-5 songs in my entire life. I'm still trying to find my sound and my identity as an artist. At the moment because I've made my A levels first priority it's all on hold the things I would like to do.
    Going to university, I'm sure the same thing would happen where because I am so occupied with meeting deadlines I won't have time to do all of these activities so I'm thinking twice about going to university now .

I've been told that without a degree I have the risk of being unemployed but I'm not looking for a secure/ long term job at the moment. I have goals in terms of the job I would like to have and the life I would like to live. I thought to myself, imagine for three years you're working in a shop i.e Tesco at the age of 21/22 however you're practicing/making craft everyday would I mind and I thought no. If things are moving no where- the highest thing is I'd go to uni as a mature student. At least I tried and had crafted music.
    Depending on what you are studying you could still have plenty of free time but it sounds to me like you don't want to go now so sounds like waiting to go is a good idea. If you are happy working and working on your music instead then do what makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    You should try and find work in a studio start as a tea boy and end up a rock star if you know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    Do what you can within reason. Think long term too. Music is not easy to break jnto nor is the money good at the lower end. I am sure you can do something like have a job at the same time so you ahould be alright either way you go. Uni wont run away anytime soon so you can go whenevr you wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Depending on what you are studying you could still have plenty of free time but it sounds to me like you don't want to go now so sounds like waiting to go is a good idea. If you are happy working and working on your music instead then do what makes you happy
    Really? If I were to go to university after my A levels I would either study Law or Business management/Economics. I had originally dropped law out of the list because those who had studied it at university told me it is very time consuming, that what I am trying to do is pursue two careers at the same time and that it could be risky when if I am doing gigs etc so they explained I would have to prioritise law first. Because I don't want to become a barrister or solicitor, a degree in law is useful but not needed. In terms of being an artist, you'll need experience and craft so I can see myself prioritising the music over a degree. I only considered business management and Economics because of the music business itself.

I'm thinking maybe part-time study is what I need but most unis that offer part time seem to want a good reason for why you haven't decided to go full time. If I told them I want to go part time to have more time to focus on music and on my degree- this isn't necessarily a standard job the singing so I wondered how would unis feel. My fear is entering university and neglecting my studies because of music. I'm worried about wasting money, becoming another drop out statistic or failing my course.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Really? If I were to go to university after my A levels I would either study Law or Business management/Economics. I had originally dropped law out of the list because those who had studied it at university told me it is very time consuming, that what I am trying to do is pursue two careers at the same time and that it could be risky when if I am doing gigs etc so they explained I would have to prioritise law first. Because I don't want to become a barrister or solicitor, a degree in law is useful but not needed. In terms of being an artist, you'll need experience and craft so I can see myself prioritising the music over a degree. I only considered business management and Economics because of the music business itself.

I'm thinking maybe part-time study is what I need but most unis that offer part time seem to want a good reason for why you haven't decided to go full time. If I told them I want to go part time to have more time to focus on music and on my degree- this isn't necessarily a standard job the singing so I wondered how would unis feel. My fear is entering university and neglecting my studies because of music. I'm worried about wasting money, becoming another drop out statistic or failing my course.
    Maybe part time distance learning could be the potential compromise for you? You could either study at the open university or see if any local universities have that on offer, that should give you more time to complete a degree also. I don't think universities will be that concerned what your recent for going part time is as at the end of the day their aim is to make profit, although you might want to bare in mind is that not all part time degrees offer evening lectures that could be random times spread through the week.

ReputationRep:
    How are you going to pay for all this training and experience with no job? If your parents will be helping you are you sure they will be okay with footing the bills for 3 years? And have you thought about what 3 years with no job or education will look like on your CV? Employers are going to ask where that gap came from.

Obviously do what you want to do, but make sure you could consider everything from all angles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    How are you going to pay for all this training and experience with no job? If your parents will be helping you are you sure they will be okay with footing the bills for 3 years? And have you thought about what 3 years with no job or education will look like on your CV? Employers are going to ask where that gap came from.

Obviously do what you want to do, but make sure you could consider everything from all angles.
    I don't mean to sound self centred and selfish but my parents have always been the one to pay for everything. I feel bad now... It's not that I don't want a job at all, I very much do if it's for example work in the recording studio or work in record labels- something that can allow me have experience concerning the field I'd like to enter in, in the future.
    On my CV? Actually I have never thought of this wow. How would it look, may it look like I did nothing for three years? It's not that I am not doing anything at all but I'm taking time out to for example establish my craft. I can't become a song writer with no songs or dance with no practice. I've noticed that the music business is a business. There can't be a business without the product itself. My product would be the singing, dancing, song writing so because I haven't started properly with either of these I need to begin now. I've made plans to build a home studio, inviting other producers as some of the things I would like to learn/practice/ train in would be mainly self taught. I've always wanted to be self employed even as an artist, being an independent artist was my main goal which is why it had never crossed my mind how it would look on my CV.
    Yea, I totally understand. This was extremely helpful as it made me think, really appreciate it x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.