Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Then why open the borders? You seriously think that the Romanians that were allowed to enter, two years ago, came here solely for work? The government is a very literate man, he knew they only came here to take advantage of our benefit system (which they're doing) So honestly, I give up with this issue of "immigration". For examples, refugees are coming here for "refuge" not to work.
    Because it's a scam to destroy the benefits system

People will be more likely to reject it if it's being abused by millions of foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honey55497)
    can i have proof for this
    Sure, this proves his support for suicide bombings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    shows how short sighted you are being

Immigration didn't start a few years ago
    So you're ignoring all of the benefits the immigrants from the 20th century brought to us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Underwood)
    So you're ignoring all of the benefits the immigrants from the 20th century brought to us?
    Do try and actually read what I have wrote Frank

ReputationRep:
    Do try and actually read what I have wrote Frank
    I suppose if you make your points extremely vague its easier to counterattack any arguments people propose against you.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if you make your points extremely vague its easier to counterattack any arguments people propose against you.
    Or you could try reading what I have written

(Original post by Jebedee)
    Sure, this proves his support for suicide bombings.
    This has pissed me off. Zakir Naik is honestly one of the worst "so called scholar" to listen to. Masquerading his islamic intellect for social and economical gain.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could try reading what I have written
    "Quite I've voted it 4 general elections and not once do I remember any party openly telling people they wanted to allow a few million immigrants in to enrich our culture (in fact if you look you see it was those parties telling people they would control immigration that usually won)“

It seems like you're ignoring the benefits of letting immigrants in, and focusing on their cultural influence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Then why open the borders? You seriously think that the Romanians that were allowed to enter, two years ago, came here solely for work? The government is a very literate man, he knew they only came here to take advantage of our benefit system (which they're doing) So honestly, I give up with this issue of "immigration". For examples, refugees are coming here for "refuge" not to work.
    I read a quote from the mayor of a Romanian town who loves the fact that they can move freely to the UK.

It's meant that all the Roma Gypseys have fuc*ked off from his town and took their endemic crime with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    as a healthcare professional, you know pay is bad when some of your colleagues are being paid £10/hour when a few years ago in 2012 they were earning £30/hour
    Indeed, my own mother is a nurse and is moving to work in the US this year because of the state of the NHS. About time the Tories just privatised it.

ReputationRep:
    "Quite I've voted it 4 general elections and not once do I remember any party openly telling people they wanted to allow a few million immigrants in to enrich our culture (in fact if you look you see it was those parties telling people they would control immigration that usually won)“

It seems like you're ignoring the benefits of letting immigrants in, and focusing on their cultural influence.
    Yes that's right as my culture is more important to me than any perceived benefits immigrants might bring

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's right as my culture is more important to me than any perceived benefits immigrants might bring
    Well you have an extremely narrow-minded, one-dimensional view of the situation. Immigrants do not 'destroy' culture, they just add to it. And immigrants bring lots of non-cultural benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have an extremely narrow-minded, one-dimensional view of the situation. Immigrants do not 'destroy' culture, they just add to it. And immigrants bring lots of non-cultural benefits.
    Oh so if a person considers their culture important to them then they are '
    extremely narrow-minded' do you say this of all cultures or just mine?

and as I said I don't feel my culture needs adding to and if it does than I should be able to decide which bits I add and I don't need immigrants to do this for me.

ReputationRep:

and as I said I don't feel my culture needs adding to and if it does than I should be able to decide which bits I add and I don't need immigrants to do this for me.
    You're a fool if you think that immigration and cultural preservation are mutually exclusive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

and as I said I don;t feel my culture needs adding to and if it does than I should be able to decide which bits I add and I don't need immigrants to do this for me.
    What does it mean to be British though? What exactly are British values? Does being British mean that you have to be white or black or asian? Does it mean that you must be Christian, Atheist, Jewish, Agnostic or Muslim? Was owning slaves part of the British culture? Should you retain that part of your "culture?"

Does it mean that you must be born within the borders of Britain even though you don't share the values of Britons? Is someone from Manchester more British (with more culture) than someone from Surrey? How can you quantify or qualify culture?

Is a muslim woman from Syria, and naturalised in Britain, living and obeying the laws of the UK less British than a man born in England, but stabbed his wife and children?

People throw things like "destroying our culture or way of life" around like culture is static. Culture is made from the people who live in a particular place. The current "culture" of Londoners will be different to those in 1865.

The concept of culture and immigration needs to be changed. I am not arguing that you let people, who are dangerous, into the country. However, thinking that migrants are leeches with the aim of destroying Britain is grossly unfair to the millions of people that have come here from America, Africa, Australia, Asia and the rest of Europe.

We should be more open-minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    What does it mean to be British though? What exactly are British values? Does being British mean that you have to be white or black or asian? Does it mean that you must be Christian, Atheist, Jewish, Agnostic or Muslim? Was owning slaves part of the British culture? Should you retain that part of your "culture?"

Does it mean that you must be born within the borders of Britain even though you don't share the values of Britons? Is someone from Manchester more British (with more culture) than someone from Surrey? How can you quantify or qualify culture?

Is a muslim woman from Syria, and naturalised in Britain, living and obeying the laws of the UK less British than a man born in England, but stabbed his wife and children?

People throw things like "destroying our culture or way of life" around like culture is static. Culture is made from the people who live in a particular place. The current "culture" of Londoners will be different to those in 1865.

The concept of culture and immigration needs to be changed. I am not arguing that you let people, who are dangerous, into the country. However, thinking that migrants are leeches with the aim of destroying Britain is grossly unfair to the millions of people that have come here from America, Africa, Australia, Asia and the rest of Europe.

BaconandSauce

1. Read this.
    2. If still in doubt, repeat step 1.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any harm whatsoever that the immigration back in the 20th century has caused. It's made the UK the multicultural, diverse place that it is today. And plenty of people 'wanted' it.
    That is precisely the problem. Multiculturalism is no culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    What does it mean to be British though?

It means you have a connection to this country through it's history and it's culture

It really is that simple

I walk past a war memorial from ww1 every day and I can see the names of 2 of my family who died doing what they thought was right and the graveyard in my local village has my families name on stones some going back 500 odd years

But to try and dilute this history for people who don't share it is simply wrong and offensive to the majority of people in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin Rugby)
    That is precisely the problem. Multiculturalism is no culture.
    This makes no sense, multiculturalism is, by definition, a combination of different cultures, and I see nothing wrong with that. Diversity and multiculturalism gives us perspective on the world, which means that we can use other cultures to our advantage. If cultures never integrated, we would not have half of the things that we own today.

ReputationRep:
    It means you have a connection to this country through it's history and it's culture

It really is that simple

I walk past a war memorial form ww1 every day and I can see the names of 2 of my family who died doing what they thought was right and the graveyard in my local village has my families name on stones some going back 500 odd years

But to try and dilute this history for people who don't share it is simply wrong and offensive to the majority of people in this country.
    immigrants fought in WW1 alongside us

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.