The Student Room Group

How to stop pasta from sticking together?

Scroll to see replies

Tell it off and warn it not to do it again.
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water, or a bit of olive oil.

Original post by Loyota
Try adding some olive oil to the boiling water (2 tablespoons)

Original post by queen-bee
Add some olive oil to the boiling water

Original post by Leviathan1741
I forgot to add that I always add salt to the water anyway. I will try the oil idea though, thanks :smile:

Original post by jenigma
Add salt/olive oil and don't overcook it or overfill it. Al dente can be nice.

Original post by homeland.lsw
Wait wait wait!!!!
Listen to this...when you drain and rinse the pasta...coat it with olive oil...
So immediately after draining, toss it in olive oil and that won't make it stick!

Cheers everyone, it seems like adding a bit of olive oil is the way to go :h:

People, oil and water aren't miscible...
Reply 22
Wait! For cooking a good pasta:
1) Use a large pot with much more water than pasta.
2) When the water is boiling, add the salt then put the pasta. Stir it often with a fork or a spoon. This is important.
3) Do not overcook it.
4) AFTER you drained the pasta, you can add sauce/olive oil. Put olive oil during cooking won't help as Gofre said.

This issue is not really common with penne though. It is more usual with spaghetti or tagliatelle. Maybe the brand is important. May I suggest Barilla?
Don't overcook.
cook it for a shorter time, at a lower heat, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Also get the water hot (boiling) before you put the pasta in the pan. Little cooking tips!
No I said adding oil after you drain the pasta, not whilst cooking it
Make an emulsion :teehee:
Reply 27
Your point is?
I've never had this problem before. But as others have said, cook the pasta too long and you'll likely end up with this sticky mush.
I never have this problem, and I don't add salt or stir regularly. I guess I'm just lucky.
Adding the pasta to boiling water :smile:

No idea then! Only other things I can think of trying are cooking the pasta in a larger pot or in smaller batches, or trying a different brand of pasta.
Hi guys,

Whenever I cook pasta (penne), I often find that the pasta tubes stick together, so that I have to prize them apart gently with a knife while cooking. I stir the pasta continuously while cooking it to try and stop it from sticking, but are there any other ways to prevent/reduce the sticking?

More water leviathan1741.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
the main thing is to stir it, when cooking
Hi guys,

Whenever I cook pasta (penne), I often find that the pasta tubes stick together, so that I have to prize them apart gently with a knife while cooking. I stir the pasta continuously while cooking it to try and stop it from sticking, but are there any other ways to prevent/reduce the sticking?

Make sure the water has reached a rolling boil and also stir once every minute or two just to break things up a bit. Any more than that is unnecessary.
As a pasta lover the best thing is to stand over it with a wooden spoon and stir it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ODES_PDES
As a pasta lover the best thing is to stand over it with a wooden spoons and stir it.

I do that :tongue:
i know in the restaurant i worked at when we would cook a batch for storage we used olive oil and salt in the cooking the we drained it and added more olive oil to keep in from drying out
i find a 1/4 tsp of salt and a tablespoon of olive oil at each stage per person works best
so for 4 in a tsp of salt and 8 tablespoons of olive oil
Add dried pasta to pan. Shake the pan back and forth (carefully!) whilst pouring in boiling water from a kettle. Bring to the boil then simmer. No need to stir. I've been doing this for a while now and pasta no longer sticks.
Just stir it, Una!
Put a bit of oil in the water

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest