Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently im enrolled to city university studying computer science. i am in my first year and the start of the year was pretty smooth. however, once december came i started missing lectures due to pure laziness which then led to a loss of motivation..every week since january i kept telling myself i will return to uni in the next lecture, tomorrow or next week. but ive completely switched off. i just work all the time im employed at argos and ive just been working and going out a lot.

now that its the end of march ive realised ive completely messed up and missed loads of assignments and deadlines and literally have no clue whats happening. my peers who i met (like 6/7 of them) are not helpful at all and dont even reply to messages anymore. even my tutor who emailed me, did not respond when i tried to go see him about my situation.

i just wanted to know that is there anyone that has been in my type of situation? and if so, what did you do? coz i really do want to get into the next year and i do wanna stay in uni i do not want to drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobie06)
    Currently im enrolled to city university studying computer science. i am in my first year and the start of the year was pretty smooth. however, once december came i started missing lectures due to pure laziness which then led to a loss of motivation..every week since january i kept telling myself i will return to uni in the next lecture, tomorrow or next week. but ive completely switched off. i just work all the time im employed at argos and ive just been working and going out a lot.

now that its the end of march ive realised ive completely messed up and missed loads of assignments and deadlines and literally have no clue whats happening. my peers who i met (like 6/7 of them) are not helpful at all and dont even reply to messages anymore. even my tutor who emailed me, did not respond when i tried to go see him about my situation.

i just wanted to know that is there anyone that has been in my type of situation? and if so, what did you do? coz i really do want to get into the next year and i do wanna stay in uni i do not want to drop out.
    Contact the university directly, you may be given the opportunity to resit the year?

ReputationRep:

You need to go and find your tutors office if he isn't replying to your emails. You also need to consult the regulations, different universities have different ones. Some say you need to have passed every piece of work to pass a module, some say you need to average 40% overall. So you need to work out whether you can still pass the modules or not. If you can't, depending on how many you've failed, you may be given a chance to resit in August. If you fail again, then the university may offer you the chance to resit the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    You need to go and find your tutors office if he isn't replying to your emails. You also need to consult the regulations, different universities have different ones. Some say you need to have passed every piece of work to pass a module, some say you need to average 40% overall. So you need to work out whether you can still pass the modules or not. If you can't, depending on how many you've failed, you may be given a chance to resit in August. If you fail again, then the university may offer you the chance to resit the year.
    (Original post by john2054)
    Contact the university directly, you may be given the opportunity to resit the year?

nowhere near the 40% for sure. ive heard my uni is quite strict with resitting the year. i really dont want to change unis. i will be going to meet my tutor for the first time hopefully in the next few days. not sure what to expect though

ReputationRep:
    nowhere near the 40% for sure. ive heard my uni is quite strict with resitting the year. i really dont want to change unis. i will be going to meet my tutor for the first time hopefully in the next few days. not sure what to expect though
    Good luck huh. You do know that 40% is the standard pass rate, for most universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Good luck huh. You do know that 40% is the standard pass rate, for most universities?
    yeahhh i get that. i completely switched off around january. i stopped attending and stopped doing any work. messed my priorities up and now im in regret and want to get back on track. i think i will need to resit and learn from my 9k lesson

ReputationRep:
    yeahhh i get that. i completely switched off around january. i stopped attending and stopped doing any work. messed my priorities up and now im in regret and want to get back on track. i think i will need to resit and learn from my 9k lesson
    you will probably also need extenuating circumstances as well, if they are going to agree to let you resit?

ReputationRep:

You need to have two long conversations.
    1/ Firstly with yourself - do you really want to continue on your course, at your university, at university at all - or is it a comfort blanket?
    Why did you "switch off"?
    What's to say there will not be a repeat performance next year?
    If you can't answer those questions to yourself then you're on a hiding to nothing trying to convince anyone else to give you a second chance.
    2/ Having had that you need to sit down with your tutor. Go to his office, get and keep an appointment. Banging off an email is no longer enough. Conversation 1 should give you the basis for this discussion.
    3/ Between 1/ and 2/ get yourself down to the Union and get some advice on the art of the possible and maybe someone to hold your hand through what, win or lose, is going to be an uncomfortable process: and you need all the help you can get.
    That's what the Union is for, they know the ropes and have the contacts.
    Best of luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.