Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having a really hard time deciding between the two on which to put as first choice.
    I have an unconditional offer from York and an AAA offer from Exeter.
    I really liked York when I visited however the Heslington East campus seemed a bit quiet and away from things ( Would ideally be more like Heslington West- seemed busier and nearer city centre than Heslington East?) however this might just have been because I went for my interview when everyone had gone home for Easter.
    I also liked Exeter a lot aswell but the Law building was one of the campuses worst buildings in my opinion.

I really like the idea of Problem Based Learning at York; it sounds (to me) as though you would be a lot more involved with everything than at Exeter where things would be more solitary? ( Take notes at a lecture and then go away by yourself and go through it etc)

Something that worries me about Exeter is the student satiaction scores always seem to be quite/very low... I've heard some people say that they don't really care that much etc.
    At the same time though fro looking at some reports and hearing what some people have been saying, it would seem that Exeter has a higher percentage of its graduates getting araining contract than at York and is a targeted by many Law firms.

Exeter would be much closer to home than York but I don't want this to be a deciding factor.
    I apologise that this post is a bit all over the place but its hard to get everything out that's going through my head in trying to make this decision in an orderly way.
    Which university would you personally go for? Would be really interested in hearing about current Exeter/ York students and their experiences. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from York and haven't heard back from Exeter. I will be choosing York.

It sounds like your main concern is spending time in Hes East. Yes, that's where the law school is. Live in Hes West if you want that atmosphere.

Your other concern is training contracts. That's a fair concern. All I can say is that if you do well, people will want you.

ReputationRep:
    I am a student at Exeter, studying law. I'll give you a little bit of insight.

Problem-based learning.
    People can be easily misled by the promises of prospectuses. York focuses its marketing on the fact it's PBL and Exeter has marketed itself on the fact it offers "virtual law firms" where students will gain commercial awareness and practical legal knowledge in the first year. What is important to remember is that both of these are simply marketing tools which mean very little.

Every single one of my workshops involves a set of complex legal tasks which we, as a group, attempt to apply the law to. It's a problem and we learn from it. Every law programme is going to have a seminarist do exactly the same thing. York might mention it more frequently than other law schools, but don't think that York is special in its offering PBL. It is not.

Amory.
    Your lectures will primarily be in the Forum Auditorium. That big 450 seater near the library. You'll visit Amory a couple times every few weeks for workshops, but many workshops will be held at different buildings on the campus. Don't base your decision about the law school on the aesthetics of the law admin department's offices!

ReputationRep:
    York or exeter for student life and nightlife?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by law student 1993)
    I am a student at Exeter, studying law. I'll give you a little bit of insight.

Problem-based learning.
    People can be easily misled by the promises of prospectuses. York focuses its marketing on the fact it's PBL and Exeter has marketed itself on the fact it offers "virtual law firms" where students will gain commercial awareness and practical legal knowledge in the first year. What is important to remember is that both of these are simply marketing tools which mean very little.

Every single one of my workshops involves a set of complex legal tasks which we, as a group, attempt to apply the law to. It's a problem and we learn from it. Every law programme is going to have a seminarist do exactly the same thing. York might mention it more frequently than other law schools, but don't think that York is special in its offering PBL. It is not.

Amory.
    Your lectures will primarily be in the Forum Auditorium. That big 450 seater near the library. You'll visit Amory a couple times every few weeks for workshops, but many workshops will be held at different buildings on the campus. Don't base your decision about the law school on the aesthetics of the law admin department's offices!
    Thanks a lot for this; I read on Exeter's website the other day about how they teach using 'virtual law firms' and stuff which seems very similar to PBL. Its weird how they are so quiet about that compared to York which is always banging on about its PBL method. I think I'm leaning towards Exeter. The only thing that concerns me about Exeter though is poor student satisfaction? How would you describe your experience at Exeter so far doing Law if you don't mind me asking? Are you enjoying it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.