Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I am a newly-elected member of the UK Youth Parliament. Is anyone else here a candidate/member/know a member/etc as I'd like to chat with others about their campaigns etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have just been elected as the new MYP for the borough of Hounslow! Which borough/constituency were you elected from?

(Original post by abcdefghij1234)
    Hi.
    I am a newly-elected member of the UK Youth Parliament. Is anyone else here a candidate/member/know a member/etc as I'd like to chat with others about their campaigns etc.

ReputationRep:
    the UK youth parliament is kind of a massive joke though, isn't it? I mean, from seeing a video of it, they are a bunch of kids who have no idea about anything really, which is actually kind of sad because this could have been a great idea (and was, on paper) until the cringey kids whom were only there because they won via popularity (not policies) or via family connections (right now my constituency's youth parliament member was the daughter of the MP, or the prospective MP, I can't remember which one it is now) started opening their mouths (not you though, I'm sure you're great). kids simply don't understand a lot of things necessary for a parliament - they're not old/experienced enough. they're ironically an analogical argument for no votes for 16 year olds...

ReputationRep:
    I do understand where you appear to be coming from in the sense that a lot of young people appear to not know a lot about politics, however I must say that I don't think that the members of youth parliament fit in to that group of people. You often find that they actually win based on policies as I found when campaigning people decided to vote for me based on what I stood for. As I only go to school, but do not live, in the area where young people could vote I had to rely on a large amount of people I had never met before to ensure I received the most votes and that can't be due to popularity as they don't know me. Also, MYP's do end up working quite closely with their local MP and in that sense learn a lot more about politics.
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    the UK youth parliament is kind of a massive joke though, isn't it? I mean, from seeing a video of it, they are a bunch of kids who have no idea about anything really, which is actually kind of sad because this could have been a great idea (and was, on paper) until the cringey kids whom were only there because they won via popularity (not policies) started opening their mouths (not you though, I'm sure you're great). kids simply don't understand a lot of things necessary for a parliament - they're not old/experienced enough. they're ironically an analogical argument for no votes for 16 year olds...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.