Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The question here really isn't important, it's more the solution, but I'll post the question anyways:
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2016-03-22 à 23.54.20.png
Views: 57
Size:  42.7 KB

This isn't the whole solution, I cut out a bit that isn't needed:
    Attachment 514881514883

The problem is with triangle \Delta S_1 A B, in the second last line, they said S_1 B = 21.6478, which is what I got when I did this question. But then if you use the cosine rule to fine AB, you don't get the same answer. I used an online calculator just to make sure.
    Attachment 514881514883514900

Can someone tell me what's going on here? I mean "sensically" their answer is the correct one, but I don't see how it actually is. I mean why are they claiming that ABC is isosceles? I just can't figure out what's going on here.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagafacea1)
    The question here really isn't important, it's more the solution, but I'll post the question anyways:
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2016-03-22 à 23.54.20.png
Views: 57
Size:  42.7 KB

This isn't the whole solution, I cut out a bit that isn't needed:
    Attachment 514881514883

The problem is with triangle \Delta S_1 A B, in the second last line, they said S_1 B = 21.6478, which is what I got when I did this question. But then if you use the cosine rule to fine AB, you don't get the same answer. I used an online calculator just to make sure.
    Attachment 514881514883514900

Can someone tell me what's going on here? I mean "sensically" their answer is the correct one, but I don't see how it actually is. I mean why are they claiming that ABC is isosceles? I just can't figure out what's going on here.

Thanks!
    The triangle in the calculator is not triangle ABC. That triangle doesn't exist anywhere.

They worked out angle ACB to be 112.5 degrees. ABC is an isosceles therefore CAB and CBA are both 33.75 degrees. You now have all 3 angles but no sides. To find the magnitude of AB you need at least 1 side. Either S1b or S2A and then use the bigger triangle S1BA or S2AB to find the magnitude of AB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostNotable)
    The triangle in the calculator is not triangle ABC. That triangle doesn't exist anywhere.

They worked out angle ACB to be 112.5 degrees. ABC is an isosceles therefore CAB and CBA are both 33.75 degrees. You now have all 3 angles but no sides. To find the magnitude of AB you need at least 1 side. Either S1b or S2A and then use the bigger triangle S1BA or S2AB to find the magnitude of AB.
    The triangle in the calculator is S1BA , not ABC.

ReputationRep:
    The triangle in the calculator is S1BA , not ABC.
    No it isn't. For it to be S1BA the angle on the right needs to be 33.75.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't. For it to be S1BA the angle on the right needs to be 33.75.
    Yes that's my point, if the angle on the left is 22.5 and the sides adjacent to it are 21.648 (S1B) and 40 (S1A), the angle on the right cannot be 33.75.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's my point, if the angle on the left is 22.5 and the sides adjacent to it are 21.648 (S1B) and 40 (S1A), the angle on the right cannot be 33.75.
    I'll do the question and tell you what I get.

ReputationRep:
    AB=S1B=21.6
    Angle AS1B=S1AB=22.5 degrees

ReputationRep:
    AB=S1B=21.6
    Angle AS1B=S1AB=22.5 degrees
    That's what I got two. I just don't know what they're doing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.